How do you remove the underdash AC unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmorit01
    350 Buick
    • Nov 13, 2004

How do you remove the underdash AC unit?

I tore out my carpet in my 79 Cherokee...the floors are rusted through and the air vents are even rusted through the base on the passenger side. So much debris it is the consistency of a mud/soil in there.

To get to the screws on that vent...I needed to drop the AC unit...it is so bad in there that I want to simply remove the AC unit (it doesn't cool now any way...however, where do you disconnect the hoses going into it?

That AC may be more trouble than it is worth...

Can you just cut the the two lines to the unit? Can you repair them in the future?

79 Cherokee S
  • leostevo
    258 I6
    • Jan 27, 2009

From my limitted knowledge of ACs - Don't just start wrenching!!

Some of the lines are under pressure and can hurt you. Also the refridgerant is superbad stuff. Just run by an AC shop and have them drain the system. After it is properly drained and the refridgerant is properly disposed of or reused, then you can just yank it all.

Don't start cutting, take it out properly and I am sure you could get some coin for it.
    1990 Grand Wagoneer "Daddy Wagon"

AMC360/TF727/NP229

Edelbrock Performer Intake, Headers, Cam, 1406 Carb, Mallory HEI. No smog. Rusty's 4" all springs. '89 GW wheels, custom painted and wrapped in Maxxis Big Horn 31x10.50, dual 2.25" exhaust outside the frame rails.

Comment

• rmorit01
      350 Buick
      • Nov 13, 2004

Thanks for the advice...

I know there is a quick disconnect on the passenger fender but I am trying to figure out the other connection and where it goes and where it disconnects.

Basically need to understand what the other point of disconnect is and then I can pull the hoses through the firewall.

Thanks -- Bob
      79 Cherokee S

Comment

• KaiserMan
        I got the Willys....
        • Jun 21, 2005

Bob, there should be some fittings under that glob of ? in your pic. There was on the under dsah unit I just bought (though it is an older one).
        Thomas Russell
        1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
        1971 Gladiator
        J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
        1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• 70FSJ
          230 Tornado
          • Mar 05, 2009

CAUTION! GO TO AC/RADIATOR SHOP FOR THIS!

Hi Bob,
          Even though you might think that the system has no pressure in it or any refridgerant still in the hoses....take it to an AC/Radiator shop and have them do the disconnect/drain.

I knew a guy who just started disconnecting things... started with the low pressure side...turned out there was a clog that kept the high pressure side charged.

Needless to say, a hospital trip because of the lung burns (chemical burns) and two surgery's later to fix his eye...a heck of a price to pay for a $50 mistake.

Heed the warning about that R-12. It's really bad stuff for you!

Sincerely,
          Steven

Comment

Working...
          X