X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

I was going to put a tray in mine but the pre-73 dash I used didn't have a hole.
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

That setup looks amazing! What's your plan for paint/finish on the bezel?

I say leave the speaker hole and mount a CB speaker under it....
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

I think I'm going to paint the main frame green like current and the gauge bezel and other parts I made in black. Paint can be touched up a lot easier than powder coating.

The speaker hole is a bit ugly under that dash pad. There's no grill and an aftermarket grill would look ugly (my opinion) and the dash has a curve to it anyhow. I suppose I can make a grill though...

1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Maybe something like this?
          Early mustang rear dash speaker grill

This guy used one on his Hornet (see third post from the top)
          Looking good I will have to find the time to check it out. Dave ----I am looking forward to seeing...
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• toddthewelder
            258 I6
            • Dec 30, 2010

If you're going to take the time to make something for the speaker hole to make it look better, go ahead and make a patch panel and cover it up
            80 cj 5
            87 GW
            Another 87 GW
            88 GW
            99 Wrangler
            07 Dodge 3500
            67 Chevy SWB
            2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• bkilby
              350 Buick
              • Jan 10, 2016

You don't like the idea of a storage tray in place of the speaker? Something about 2" deep?

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Coming along very nicely.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• toddthewelder
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 30, 2010

Originally posted by bkilby
                  You don't like the idea of a storage tray in place of the speaker? Something about 2" deep?
                  I love the idea of it, but being a TJ owner I know that having a storage tray on the dash is a good way to get your stuff in the passenger floorboard, or even out the window. Just my thoughts on the subject, whatever you do is going to be cool though.
                  80 cj 5
                  87 GW
                  Another 87 GW
                  88 GW
                  99 Wrangler
                  07 Dodge 3500
                  67 Chevy SWB
                  2 furry shop bosses (Ash & Duke(RIP 2/13/16))

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

Thanks babywag!

Todd, I know what you mean about the TJ tray. It was pretty useless most of the time. Too shallow really. I'm thinking a deeper box would keep stuff from flying around. I dunno. I hate to go through the work of fililng in that speaker hole without putting something useful there.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by bkilby
                      Thanks babywag!

Todd, I know what you mean about the TJ tray. It was pretty useless most of the time. Too shallow really. I'm thinking a deeper box would keep stuff from flying around. I dunno. I hate to go through the work of fililng in that speaker hole without putting something useful there.
                      Maybe make a simple lid, wouldn't be hard...
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• bkilby
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 10, 2016

True. I'd like to find a pre-made steel box and just weld it in. Lol. I wonder if Tuffy has something...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                          Administrator
                          • Oct 31, 2016

Your dash work already looks so awesome with the stereo panels and that bezel so regardless of what you choose to do with the speaker hole, its gonna look good.

I don't like putting things on my dash because I have had too many pieces end up in the defrost vents over the years. Or baked/melted in the hot sun. They also bounce around and reflect off the inside of the windshield sometimes and that can get annoying, too. I only had one car that ever had a dash where I could put stuff on it (my Geo) so maybe its just my knuckleheadedness but that's my 2 cents. Like I said, I think whatever you do, its going to look awesome.
                          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                          (Cherokee Build Thread)
                          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Finally getting back on the dash again. Had to take a break to get the purple car ready for a car show and road trip. It was a success.

I ended up taking the instrument bezel to a guy to have him TIG weld the face to help hide my welding imperfections. Lol. It looks brutal in this pic but it looks a lot nicer after bead blasting it. It shows a lot of heat but it didn't warp. I forgot to take an after pic.

Comment

• bkilby
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 10, 2016

So getting back to that ugly speaker hole..... I've decided to cut out the speaker hole and replace it with.....another speaker hole. I couldn't find another speaker with the same bolt pattern otherwise I would have just cut out the two sunken areas and replaced them. But since that didn't happen, that left door open to put in whatever I wanted. I ended up buying a 5x7 dual voice coil speaker. This one is "ultra thin" as I needed clearance to the top of the head unit. This is a Retrosound R-57N.

The plan was to cut a custom speaker grill and graft it into the dash. After a few different designs and test samples, I ended up with this.

I had to keep the metal bars a bit thicker than I wanted as my Plasma cutter isn't built to cut thin material. All it does is burn and melt smaller, more detailed cuts. I had the machine using the smallest (20 amp) tip and turned as low as it would go (20 amps) and it still burned stuff. But it can cut 1.5" if I ever need it too.

Before.....

After....

I still have some clean up to do, but it's not a big deal. Also, I should have marked the screw holes on the back of the grill before welding on. I didn't, thinking the curve of the dash would throw the holes off, but I wish I would have done it anyhow. The plan is to try and weld screw "studs" in place instead of drilling holes. I want to keep the dash smooth on top. That'll be next week.

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

As usual, life gets busy, work itself and other cars (and Jeeps) to work on. I'm gonna get back on this dash this upcoming week I hope.

Someone had mentioned on the FB page that the 74-77 and 78-85 AC units are different from each other. Mine (74) is still under the dash and in the vehicle, but I do have this "later" dash and AC unit I've been playing with. The intention was to use the later AC unit with the dash since it's out of the vehicle and I can work on the dash and AC on the work bench. So my question is, is there a major difference on the two AC units? Like, will I be wasting time to modify the 78-85 AC unit to use in my '74? As long as it all bolts up, I don't really care about switches, AC vents being different etc. I'm going all custom anyhow. I'm just more concerned with shape and size, but I can't imagine they're not the same shape and size....

Comment

Working...
                                X