• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robvolz
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2016

How do we keep our tailgates safe??

Seems the average price for a J-10/20 tailgate is $400.

I'm in the market for one right now. I'd hate to lose it to some meth-head grabbing it for scrap metal.

Any ideas??
    Robert
    Last edited by robvolz; 06-24-2018, 10:12 PM.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

you may be able to adapt a door handle with key lock in it from an amc car?

Comment

• Mikel
      • Aug 09, 2000

Has anyone had their tailgate stolen?
      1969 M715 6x6
      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• fulsizjeep
        Señor Jackhead
        • Aug 21, 2002

One was stolen then recovered at Ouray KOA a few years ago. Someone from the campground staff had stashed it behind the maintenance shed.
        Flint
        Ran when parked.
        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• robvolz
          232 I6
          • Jun 12, 2016

Originally posted by wiley-moeracing
          you may be able to adapt a door handle with key lock in it from an amc car?
          awesome advice. Name the car(s) and I'll start hunting the parts lots.

Comment

Pretty much every AMC car in the 70s and 80s (and prolly a bit earlier) used the same door handles as our tailgates, I'm not mistaken. The problem is finding a car that hasn't been crushed to pull all the parts from. You'd need the internal locking mechanism, not just a reproduction handle.

There's a couple different type handles listed on this page:

I wonder if we could find a good source for the Rebel handles there, with the integrated lock. We'd need some dimensions to see if it would fit. The other issue may be interferece of the latch rods with the lock, might have to get creative there.

Anyone have a good source for a yard with AMC scrap cars still around?

aa
            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

you still need a latch with the lock mechanism in it.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 440sixpack
                327 Rambler
                • Jul 21, 2016

A tailgate would be worth about $1.00 for scrap. not really a high dollar item for any lazy tweaker.

And as far as parts go while Jeep parts can be very hard to find the other side of the coin is there aren't many people looking for them and prices are cheap when compared to many vehicles.

I just put an NOS gate on my J10 so believe me I get what the OP is saying. I'm too paranoid to let it get out of my sight after dark. but the reality of it is it's very unlikely anyone is out to score a Jeep tailgate .

Comment

• robvolz
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 12, 2016

well, its much more rampant than you give credit for.

Perhaps more so with modern trucks, ford, Toyota, etc...

but still, it happens nightly.

I never realized how quick you could steal a tailgate until I owned a Ford Ranger. It seemed like every other time I flung the tailgate open, it’d slide off the tabs with ease—and thieves are well aware of the simplicity. Tailgate thefts declined slightly in 2017, according to a new report, but the actual number could…

Comment

• robvolz
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 12, 2016

and this article......
                    It's pretty easy to remove the tailgate from most trucks. All you have to do is pull the handle, flip the gate halfway down, and pull it off the tabs. Theives have picked up on that, and according to statistics from the National Insurance Crime Bureau, tailgate theft is up 18 percent this year. Since 2006, 1,345…

Comment

• Mikel
                      • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by 440sixpack
                      A tailgate would be worth about $1.00 for scrap. not really a high dollar item for any lazy tweaker.

That's the key. To the average tailgate thief, a late-model tailgate is worth a considerable amount of money. One of ours...

My M715 tailgate is worth quite a bit to the right person, but to 99.9999% of the population, it's an ugly piece of pressed steel with 50 years worth of wear.

Every risk calculation is a function of the value of the loss and the likelihood of it happening.
                      1969 M715 6x6
                      1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• robvolz
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 12, 2016

OK, but for another example. Say I have an expensive generator in the truck bed. It would be much more difficult to lift such a heavy item up and over the sides (or back) than to simply open the tailgate and slide it out.

Here in Portland, OR, I just had my lawn mower stolen from my back yard. I'm paranoid and sick of losing my stuff to others who think its ok to take what isn't theirs

I found an AMC handle and lock. Gonna get it keyed to match the door locks.

Thanks for those who were helpful.

Comment

• KaiserMan
                          I got the Willys....
                          • Jun 21, 2005

Remove the pivot that is oblong and allows the tailgate to be quickly removed. Replace it with a full round one (same as the other side). This is how Gladiators are. In order to remove the tailgate someone now has to lower it and unbolt one of the hinges. The screws are a number 3 or 4 phillips. Not everyone has that on them. They can still steal it, but will have to work for it.
                          Thomas Russell
                          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
                          1971 Gladiator
                          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
                          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• 2ToneBluJ10
                            327 Rambler
                            • Feb 16, 2009

I saw this a few years ago. Must of had a locking topper/camper shell to prevent removal. I liked the look of it.
                            Dave

The few. The proud. The browless.

Somewhere between prissy and pristene

Comment

Originally posted by robvolz
                              OK, but for another example. Say I have an expensive generator in the truck bed. It would be much more difficult to lift such a heavy item up and over the sides (or back) than to simply open the tailgate and slide it out.

Here in Portland, OR, I just had my lawn mower stolen from my back yard. I'm paranoid and sick of losing my stuff to others who think its ok to take what isn't theirs

I found an AMC handle and lock. Gonna get it keyed to match the door locks.

Thanks for those who were helpful.
                              Let us know how the handle works out, and where you picked it up. I'm definitely interested in converting mine over.

Thanks,

aa
                              1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

Working...
                              X