• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8JeepOwner
    232 I6
    • Jul 31, 2020

76 J10 - front suspension

Ok.. need input again. Although an 8 Jeep owner, this is my first J10 truck and I'm a bit confused on the front suspension. As some of you know (and responded -thanks) to another post on my lift and front drive shaft issues, I was sitting reading the Haynes Repair manual for my year and noticed that it was showing a front stablizer bar which my J10 does not have.

The u-bolt tie plates doesn't have the extra area for the stablizer bar link so I"m thinking this is stock but still want to know and would like to hear from y'all.

Thanks,
    Dave

1974 CJ5 - Grey w/Blk Soft Top - you never forget your first one
    1976 J10 - Currently own and doing restore on it
    1984 MJ Comanche
    1984 SJ Grand Waggoneer
    1989 MJ Comanche - currently own and just finished restore
    1994 YJ Wrangler
    1997 XJ Cherokee
    1998 TJ Wrangler
    2014 JKU Rubicon - currently my daily
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by 8JeepOwner
    Ok.. need input again. Although an 8 Jeep owner, this is my first J10 truck and I'm a bit confused on the front suspension. As some of you know (and responded -thanks) to another post on my lift and front drive shaft issues, I was sitting reading the Haynes Repair manual for my year and noticed that it was showing a front stablizer bar which my J10 does not have.

The u-bolt tie plates doesn't have the extra area for the stablizer bar link so I"m thinking this is stock but still want to know and would like to hear from y'all.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Do not believe anything in the Haynes or Chiltons books. They try to cover too many years, and are full of errors. Maybe useful for fluid capacities or other simple things. Also excellent doorstops or to hold up the corner of your bed.

The TSM for your Jeep is available here: https://oljeep.com/edge_parts_man.html free to read and download. Way more info than the parts store books, and specific to your model year.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by tgreese
      Do not believe anything in the Haynes or Chiltons books...
      Facts. Sell the Haynes/Chilton and get a TSM (for free).

Not all FSJs came with the anti-roll bar. I wouldn't say it was "needed" but if my truck did not have one, I would probably add one at some point.

First check your frame to see if you have the pads to mount it. There would be 2 pads with 2 holes each, welded to the bottom of your frame, directly above your steering linkage.

If you have the pads, installing an anti-roll bar is as simple as buying the parts and bolting it in.
      If you do not have the pads, it is kind of a pain to install them and probably not worth the effort.
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• threepiece
        350 Buick
        • Sep 17, 2005

I never felt the need for a sway bar on my trucks, the Wagoneer and Cherokee are a bit different.

Remember when looking for parts that the J20 used a larger diameter bar than the others.
        FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
        We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
        We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
        Resistance is not futile yet.
        Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

Working...
        X