Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casey
    • Oct 08, 2003

Yeah brother..what the hippie said...if it's a straight Chief it's worth your time and effort.

Freeze plug! Here's what I did when the rubber replacement plug shot out of the '77 J truck the day I was leaving for ECI last year. Not that you would want to follow my lead but...

I drilled a hole in the inner fender and drove a new one in the block with a socket on an extension. Then I drove the thing 4 hrs to URE, wheeled it, broke it, fixed it and drove it the 4 hrs home again. No worries. A new plug isn't even 12 bucks. The kit is and it's a squishable rubber gadget that will likely fail once the engine gets good and hot.

TH400 rebuild kits are around $100. Many a local shop would do it for a couple hundred labor. Shop around you may find it's not as expensive as you thought. I rebuilt one the week before ECI '08. It was my first attempt at an automatic rebuild and I will never pay anyone to do it again. Without having the few specialty tools I had a few troubles, but once I figured out how to assemble the thing it was rather easy.

I say keep it and fix it.
    1994 YJ
    1986 Comanche
    '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
    www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
    "Go forth and be a tool".
    Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
    This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• jaber
      Dragin Az
      • Oct 17, 2003

I keep telling him that he has everything, including the necessary knowledge, right across town here and he just stews at home...

Randy, I can get the tranny rebuilt for $450 and the guy warranty's them for a year. the last one he did for me is still going strong after 10 years.
      I think we can get that engine to run well enough for you to drive it while we find another for it. I think you are just getting overwhelmed. We just need to take it one system at a time. I have been trying to do 1 thing a day on my project. Even if its something small. It is getting there at a descent pace. I drove it around the yard yesterday. The Dang thing left 3" ruts in the yard...
      Jeff

'43 cj2a
      '51 Willys p/u
      '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
      '68 Panel Delivery
      '74 CJ5
      '75 J-20 Wrecker
      '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
      '77 J-10 p/u
      '79 Cherokee
      '88 Grand Wagoneer
      '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• mdill
        Gone. Not Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2000

Post up some pictures, solid streight ones are non existant out here, someone might want the whole thing as you look for one that fits your needs better.

Mike D,
        -----------------------------------------
        Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
        1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
        1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
        1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
        1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
        And the other stuff that gets driven
        ----------------------------------------

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

OR you could always drop 20 bux on a buncha shrimp, get that stuff cookin up nice and smelly, and GSMikeywill wander in from the desert, riding a giant javelina and swigging from a can of peyote juice, and he'll wave his magic wand over your TH400 and BLAMMO! Fixered up good. The only problem is you'll have to run Patron Silver in it afterwards instead of ATF...

keep the faith and don't be afraid to ask for help is my point

and I ain't no hippy, Casey! I just play one on TV.
          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• vintagetrks
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Casey
            Yeah brother..what the hippie said...if it's a straight Chief it's worth your time and effort.

Freeze plug! Here's what I did when the rubber replacement plug shot out of the '77 J truck the day I was leaving for ECI last year. Not that you would want to follow my lead but...

I drilled a hole in the inner fender and drove a new one in the block with a socket on an extension. Then I drove the thing 4 hrs to URE, wheeled it, broke it, fixed it and drove it the 4 hrs home again. No worries. A new plug isn't even 12 bucks. The kit is and it's a squishable rubber gadget that will likely fail once the engine gets good and hot.

TH400 rebuild kits are around $100. Many a local shop would do it for a couple hundred labor. Shop around you may find it's not as expensive as you thought. I rebuilt one the week before ECI '08. It was my first attempt at an automatic rebuild and I will never pay anyone to do it again. Without having the few specialty tools I had a few troubles, but once I figured out how to assemble the thing it was rather easy.

I say keep it and fix it.
            Thats more than likely whats gonna take place. I have a line on a CHEVY drive train that I'm entertaining putting in. Mostly because it's a 6.2L diesel. Been thinking alot about what Jaber said also and freeze plugs are cheap and easy, but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed as I'm not very experienced with AMC's. I have even thought of throwing a small block CHEVY in it as I'm very familiar with those and parts are cheap and easy to come by.
            I appreciate all the advice and support from you guys and I think I'll keep plugging away at her til I get it done. It just might take a year or two.
            Casey Did I see in a thread that you were running a small block CHEVY in one of your rigs?
            New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
            My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
            90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"

Comment

• jaber
              Dragin Az
              • Oct 17, 2003

There are quite a few guys with chevys in them. Most are the Gen III, but there are others. This J-3000 in the yard was chevified at one point in its life.

The AMC engines are not that much different then any other gas guzzler. There are a couple of design changes, but the basics are all there. You didnt learn about Chevys over night. Just keep at it and know were here for your questions. I have faith in you Randy...
              Jeff

'43 cj2a
              '51 Willys p/u
              '68 Panel Delivery
              '74 CJ5
              '75 J-20 Wrecker
              '77 J-10 p/u
              '79 Cherokee
              '88 Grand Wagoneer
              '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• vintagetrks
                304 AMC
                • May 01, 2009

I am really considering the 6.2L diesel swap I told you about Jeff just not sure if the GM TH400 will work with the Qtrack or If I'd have to get an adapter. It's the 6.2L without the computer so it should prety much be as simple as getting some motor mounts or modifiying the gm mounts and dropping the diesel in and making some electrical connections and a glowplug switch. I'm just not sure. I'm gonna get a new freeze plug from vatozone they're only 1.59 for the brass ones. Might have to see if I can get your help on pulling the tranny and throwing in that one that came with the rig and then I think I'm gonna modify the column to wirk with the th400 or get another tilt column. At least it ran.
                New Full Size Jeep Nut

My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

Comment

• Badawg
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 26, 2009

If you decide to liquidate that razor grill, let me know... I think a shiny one would look good on my 74
                  74 Wagoneer, 360/th400/QT
                  02 Civic SIR Hatch
                  06 Acura TL
                  64 Dodge A-100 Van

Comment

• vintagetrks
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Badawg
                    If you decide to liquidate that razor grill, let me know... I think a shiny one would look good on my 74
                    Sorry these guys have inspired me to Soldier on with my Cherk and the razor will someday replace the pignose on her now.
                    New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• CJ the noisemaker
                      304 AMC
                      • Nov 28, 2009

Originally posted by vintagetrks
                      I'll probably just look for a running Cherokee and use this one as a parts rig.
                      I helpin' you right?
                      CJ
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE] -1985 Ford LTD Country Squire "Rarity" - 302/AOD

Comment

• vintagetrks
                        304 AMC
                        • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by CJ the noisemaker
                        Thanks CJ but I'm gonna stick with my Cherokee. Thats a pretty nice waggy listed as a Cherokee though.
                        New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• jaber
                          Dragin Az
                          • Oct 17, 2003

As for the 4oo, the tail shaft will swap right into the diesel TH400. I also have the adapter to do a Dana 20 behind either 400.
                          Jeff

'43 cj2a
                          '51 Willys p/u
                          '68 Panel Delivery
                          '74 CJ5
                          '75 J-20 Wrecker
                          '77 J-10 p/u
                          '79 Cherokee
                          '88 Grand Wagoneer
                          '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• vintagetrks
                            304 AMC
                            • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by jaber
                            As for the 4oo, the tail shaft will swap right into the diesel TH400. I also have the adapter to do a Dana 20 behind either 400.
                            Well the 6.2 is looking better all the time. Just gonna have to see if he wants to part with it. Let me ask ya this Jeff. Would it be easier to just mount the Cherk body on the Blazer frame. Is it even possible?
                            New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• Badawg
                              232 I6
                              • Dec 26, 2009

Well I am glad to hear you are going to work it. it is worth the effort if it is rust free
                              74 Wagoneer, 360/th400/QT
                              02 Civic SIR Hatch
                              06 Acura TL
                              64 Dodge A-100 Van

Comment

• vintagetrks
                                304 AMC
                                • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Badawg
                                Well I am glad to hear you are going to work it. it is worth the effort if it is rust free
                                She's rust free just alot of problems with neglected and abused components.
                                New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

Working...
                                X