• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HOOT

• Mar 28, 2003

Nice pics Scotty.

Thanks.
    Tom Gibson
    1980 J20 Utility bed truck. Factory cab and chassis truck. Many new mods for it but it will look all stock.
    1985 J10 nothing special just a nice clean stock truck.
    1977 Honcho "Blue" 401/400/quad. Under going major upgrades.."This is Not Your Fathers Honcho", it may not even be a Honcho anymore when done.
    2017 Challenger. Very jealous of the Jeeps.

Comment

• bigun
      • Feb 10, 2003

I just found out I must have left my fishing rod on the top of the camper after loading the wide track fenders! Bummer
      Hoot missed you again this year
      charlie
      KB0HXA
      "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
      congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
      How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
      Robert A. Heinlein
      The birth of CROM is recorded here
      http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• bigun
        • Feb 10, 2003

I just found out I must have left my fishing rod on the top of the camper after loading the wide track fenders! Bummer
        Hoot missed you again this year
        charlie
        KB0HXA
        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
        Robert A. Heinlein
        The birth of CROM is recorded here
        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Rande
          Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
          • Jun 26, 2000

I'm back home, safe and sound. Stopped by a friend's shop on the way home to finally get my exhuast back together properly. Tore it apart on the first day, got it back together the second day, tore it apart again the third day. I left it hanging for the drive home. Although it was apart, it was in no danger of coming off the Cherokee so I just left it until I could get it up on the lift.

And oh boy was the trip worth while! Was nice to meet everyone.

What a beautiful place! I was in my stock XJ so I was very limited in where I was willing to drive it. I didn't do any of the really good trails, just some easy ones. But with my inexperience in mountain driving, that was probably a good idea.

I could have hitched a ride on those rougher trails for Thursday but I wanted to get the XJ back together. So on Thursday AM I went into Montrose to try finding some exhaust clamps that would hold things together better than the old u-bolt style clamps. No luck. I figured it wouldn't take long to fit everything back together and get back to Ouray but by the time I got everything back together, it was too late to join the others so I drove around exploring the area. Finished the day drinking rum and diet dew (don't ask) on main street and talking with an old-timer about the old mining days, how the area has changed, etc. That alone was worth the trip.

Friday, I drove Last Dollar Road by myself to meet everyone else in Telluride but couldn't find them. I may have gotten into town too late. I did take my time. I was just enjoying the drive so much, I just sort of ambled along. Stopping for photos, checking out the woods, the views. Once I got back to Ouray, I headed downtown for many rum and diet cokes (not diet dew this time).

Headed home first thing Saturday AM. Stayed overnight in Lincoln NE and drove home today.

I am definitly going back with a better prepared vehicle. For now, I'm gonna light up a pipe and relax as I just did get home. Bags are still out in the Cherokee. They can wait...gotta check out all the photos I took.
          N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1998 Cherokee Sport (not maroon! Have history with maroon XJs)
          1937 Chevy pickup (in progress)
          1966 Mustang
          1937 IH D2

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

It was nice meeting you! A fellow rummy!

You made it down to camp for the fire one night, right?
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• grand_wag_85
              Murphy's Law Poster Child
              • Dec 03, 2003

Is there a date for next year yet?
              You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
              '88 GW
              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Originally posted by grand_wag_85
                Is there a date for next year yet?
                Why yes there is.
                Krista - High Priestess of Our Lady of Eternal Combustion
                77 401 Wag "Phoebe" ~ 77 401 J20 "Artemis" ~ 76 401 SOA Wag "Luna"
                The worst thing about rolling my jeep.....is trying to lick the paper...

Comment

• Rande
                  Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                  • Jun 26, 2000

It was nice meeting you! A fellow rummy!

You made it down to camp for the fire one night, right?
                  Actually, no. By the time it was getting late enough for a fire, I was already too far gone to be driving anywhere.

Thats the problem with staying in town. If I go out to the KOA for the evening fire, I can't have anything to drink ('cuz I have to drive back to town). If I stay in town and have a few, I can't drive out to the KOA.

Next year, how about we all stay in town and just set a bar on fire for the night?
                  N4ZYV

I ain't giving up. I've worked hard, it took me years to work my way to the bottom.

1966 Mustang
                  1937 IH D2

Comment

• Scotty J.
                    232 I6
                    • Nov 07, 2009

Originally posted by Rande
                    Thats the problem with staying in town. If I go out to the KOA for the evening fire, I can't have anything to drink ('cuz I have to drive back to town). If I stay in town and have a few, I can't drive out to the KOA.
                    Next year, how about we all stay in town and just set a bar on fire for the night?
                    You bring the accelerant, I'll bring the matches!
                    Red 02 Counterfeit FSJ

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Rande
                      Actually, no. By the time it was getting late enough for a fire, I was already too far gone to be driving anywhere.

well shoot man, they have cabins and there was plenty of room in sites to squat a night if too rummed up to drive!
                      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Scotty J.
                        232 I6
                        • Nov 07, 2009

well shoot man, they have cabins and there was plenty of room in sites to squat a night if too rummed up to drive!
                        I'll give you my Ol' Ladies direct number, you can convince her LOL.
                        Red 02 Counterfeit FSJ

Comment

• Rande
                          Ph.D in Jeep B.S.
                          • Jun 26, 2000

Cabins were all gone by the time I was certain I could go. 4 months in advance! Can't camp as I need electricity to sleep. I have no tent, no camper. If I could have gotten one of their cabins, I would have been fine with staying out there. I checked into renting a small pop-up but it was going to cost more than just getting a motel room.

I'm hoping to come back out next year with the vehicle better prepared and something for staying at the KOA. I should be able to find a pop-up camper or something by then.
                          N4ZYV

1966 Mustang
                          1937 IH D2

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                            Señor Jackhead
                            • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Scotty J.
                            Flint, let me know if you want a copy of the original file.

WOW! great catch Scotty! Was a pleasure riding with you above the treeline!
                            Flint
                            Ran when parked.
                            http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                            88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                            76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                            http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• SparkyB
                              232 I6
                              • May 16, 2010

All the picture threads are killing me! I wish I could have made it but due to some jobs that came up I wasn't able to.

Comment

• SVO42
                                350 Buick
                                • Aug 27, 2003

I just want to say "thank you" again to everyone for their help getting my junk rolling for two days worth of "testing!"

Rande, PM me about the electricity need sometime. I think I might be able to help.
                                Bryan's vehicles at the Joplin (Full Size) Jeep Refuge:
                                1988 Grand Wagoneer (on extended loan)
                                1988 Grand Wagonner (tornado victim)
                                1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
                                1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s

Comment

Working...
                                X