• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdaniel83
    350 Buick
    • Sep 26, 2008

Problems with Holley Pro-Jection 2D System

I just installed the Holley Pro-Jection 2D Fuel Injection on my '89 Grand Wagoneer, and after getting it running good and everything adjusted I drove it for about 150 miles and it started giving me trouble. After I drove it all day I let it sit for about 2-3 hours and when I went to start it up again it idled very erratically and it was blowing blueish smoke out of the exhaust. The exhaust also smelled very rich. If I give it gas then it runs ok but still seems to be missing and is blowing smoke. If I let it run for a minute it eventually dies and in order to get it to start I have to pump the gas pedal repeatedly as I turn it over. I tried to test the TPS and I get a reading of 0.95V instead of the 0.63-0.65V the manual calls for. Also, when I slowly opened up the throttle the reading never changed, it stayed at 0.95V throughout the range.

Something I also found strange is that when I adjusted the MAIN knob down (all the way Lean) on the ECU with the motor running around 2500 RPM the motor seemed to smooth out and run better and the exhaust was not as smokey.

I am thinking the TPS went out on my unit, but I thought it would be unlikely due to how new the system is. Could it be something else? I called Holley but they are closed and this GW is my daily driver so any help would be appreciated so I can get my Jeep back on the road before Monday.

Thanks.
    '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

'70 Wagoneer; stock Buick Dauntless 350, TH400; 3.73 stock gears

'83 Wagoneer Limited; stock 360, 727, 3.31 gears.
  • jdaniel83
    350 Buick
    • Sep 26, 2008

I forgot to mention that it has also backfired out of throttle body when I gave it a lot of gas. Could timing have something to do with it as well? Also, if I am not giving it gas to keep it going it will lope a few times erratically and die. The "Clear Flood" function does not operate when I open the throttle all the way either.
    Last edited by jdaniel83; 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM.
    '89 GW; 4" Susp Lift on 32" Wild Country MTX; 360, HEI, Edelbrock Intake, Melling MTA-1 Cam, Summit 600 carb, 3.73 Gears

Comment

• Michael
      AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

If your tps is not changing voltage that is part of your problem for sure. They are known for going out.
      1994 YJ
      Amc 360
      TF727
      Stak 3 speed
      44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
      Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
      401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

I have had similar issues (new unit, ran great for 1st 500 miles) but first you need to jump into the TPS and adjust until the readings are correct, directions are in the book.

A few searches I have done bring up fairly common issues (I stole this, I'm just paraphrasing from Jim Grammer on the Binder forum).

1. Power to the ECM and fuel pump are shared, they both want a full clean power source. Use the red and green fuel pump wires to trigger a seperate relay to the fuel pump. Upgrade wire to fuel pump (it's like 18 gauge at best on mine).

2. Grounds, go over all of them, everyplace, make sure they are good, clean and use a central point for all connections to the system.

3. Setup, do it by the book. Every time you change something (like a relay, the tps position, etc) do it over by the book.

4. Tach Signal, no signal = no injector firing, poor signal = poor injector firing.

This is where I am at having been through the above 2-3X (wish I could be more help), replacing dizzy this weekend. If mine does not clean up, I'm going back to points (the 2D is compatible with both), if that does not work, back to the carb, which I hate.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• jdaniel83
          350 Buick
          • Sep 26, 2008

I've tried to adjust the TPS and it will not adjust. The reading stays at 0.95V even when I adjust the sensor. I'll try to check all the grounds and see if one could be bad.
          Thanks.

Comment

Replace the TPS. The Holley sensor is crap. I replaced mine with a used OEM GM unit from an older Caddy, just had to move the blue and gray wires in the plug.

Mine was causing intermittent problems similar to yours.
            David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
            83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
            10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• beloth
              350 Buick
              • Jun 06, 2003

Originally posted by Tad
              I have had similar issues (new unit, ran great for 1st 500 miles) but first you need to jump into the TPS and adjust until the readings are correct, directions are in the book.

A few searches I have done bring up fairly common issues (I stole this, I'm just paraphrasing from Jim Grammer on the Binder forum).

1. Power to the ECM and fuel pump are shared, they both want a full clean power source. Use the red and green fuel pump wires to trigger a seperate relay to the fuel pump. Upgrade wire to fuel pump (it's like 18 gauge at best on mine).

2. Grounds, go over all of them, everyplace, make sure they are good, clean and use a central point for all connections to the system.

3. Setup, do it by the book. Every time you change something (like a relay, the tps position, etc) do it over by the book.

4. Tach Signal, no signal = no injector firing, poor signal = poor injector firing.

This is where I am at having been through the above 2-3X (wish I could be more help), replacing dizzy this weekend. If mine does not clean up, I'm going back to points (the 2D is compatible with both), if that does not work, back to the carb, which I hate.
              Tad, how long did it take you to get that system installed and where did you order it from? just wondering...
              1966 wag "JENNY" w/1973 drivetrain
              330K miles w/360 V8 2bbl (HEI installed ), flowmaster muffler
              TH400 /Dana 20 transfer case D30 /D44 w/ 3.73's LT235/75/R15 AT tires. lift shackles in frt. 2 in lft; w/ TAD's Dozer bumpers! Cost $700 -now total cost=?

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
                Replace the TPS. The Holley sensor is crap. I replaced mine with a used OEM GM unit from an older Caddy, just had to move the blue and gray wires in the plug.

Mine was causing intermittent problems similar to yours.
                Thanks for jumping in David.
                I'll look at this also (I found the TPS loose at one point but my readings are withing range and adjust fine).

Originally posted by beloth
                Tad, how long did it take you to get that system installed and where did you order it from? just wondering...
                It took a good solid weekend to route all the new lines (I left the old ones just in case, about $125 there) and another solid weekend to install and adjust.
                I got mine from Summit but I doubt I'd do a Holley version again.
                Maybe the Howell (don't know much about them, have heard good things though) or just have someone build one from GM components. Lots of DIY TBI info out there.
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• jdaniel83
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 26, 2008

Quick question, a local mechanic told me that the ground that comes off the TPS/Fast Idle Soleoid/Coolant Sensor harness could be grounded to the aluminum intake via a manifold bolt. I was skeptical about this but he said it would be ok so I thought I would ask cause I thought it could be causing the system to run badly.

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Step 5 in the instructions says "engine block or intake manifold" so I would say that's ok.
                    Now, is that area of your engine grounded well is another story, but that's easy enough to check with a volt meter.
                    I actually think mine is on a bracket someplace which is probably worth double checking on my end today, for my issue.

I realize my issue is not exactly the same as yours but since we are getting some good help here please don't think I'm trying to tread on your post.

I watched mine go into this "over rich" mode twice yesterday. Running fine, there's like a hiccup, then she's dumping way too much fuel. So I thought "ok do domething", so I unplugged the wire to the high idle solinoid and it goes back to normal, like night and day. Leaving the solinoid unplugged, 2 min later it does it again, I grab the solinoid wire, touch it to the solinoid tab, presto, back to normal.
                    Ran great for the rest of the day.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• Michael
                      AMC 4 OH! 1

• Sep 11, 2001

Originally posted by Tad
                      Step 5 in the instructions says "engine block or intake manifold" so I would say that's ok.
                      Now, is that area of your engine grounded well is another story, but that's easy enough to check with a volt meter.
                      I actually think mine is on a bracket someplace which is probably worth double checking on my end today, for my issue.

I realize my issue is not exactly the same as yours but since we are getting some good help here please don't think I'm trying to tread on your post.

I watched mine go into this "over rich" mode twice yesterday. Running fine, there's like a hiccup, then she's dumping way too much fuel. So I thought "ok do domething", so I unplugged the wire to the high idle solinoid and it goes back to normal, like night and day. Leaving the solinoid unplugged, 2 min later it does it again, I grab the solinoid wire, touch it to the solinoid tab, presto, back to normal.

Tad when yours does it take the coolant temp sensor wire and touch it to ground and see what it does.
                      1994 YJ
                      Amc 360
                      TF727
                      Stak 3 speed
                      44" Pitbull Rockers on Trailworthy H1's
                      Rockwells

76' Wagoneer
                      401....new project

Tow Rig Daily Driver// 2007 6.7 CTD Dually

Comment

• Tad
                        • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Michael
                        Tad when yours does it take the coolant temp sensor wire and touch it to ground and see what it does.
                        Ok, easy enough it's right up front on the Buick350.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• jdaniel83
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 26, 2008

Originally posted by Tad

Actually Tad yours sounds very similar to mine; almost identical to tell you the truth. I was just curious about the ground since the new intake I put on is aluminum instead of the stock cast iron one. I didn't know if if would stlll provide a good ground. I'm going to leave the ground as it is for now and try the TPS that I'm still waiting on to come in and I'll let you know how it goes.
                          Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Tad
                            • Nov 30, 2001

Cool, keep us post on how that goes.
                            I have not got the new dizzy stabbed in yet, life got in the way this weekend.

Originally posted by Michael
                            I got noting Michael, not a spark not a hiccup, zilch.
                            Went after the solinoid wire shortly after and it did nothing this time, I assume I was tricked by hope again.
                            about 2 min later it went back to normal and was fine for the remainder of the day.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

• AM Woody
                              258 I6
                              • Jan 11, 2003

jdaniel, bad TPS is by far the #1 problem with these if you do a search. It's not going to run with a bad TPS as you describe.
                              - Andy M.

89 Grand Wagoneer. Status: Operational
                              92 XJ Laredo. Original family owners
                              00 XJ Limited. T-boned. Need new body
                              00 XJ Limited RWD
                              06 TJ Rubicon. Original owners

Comment

Working...
                              X