Little bit of knocking from valve cover...(Noisy lifters fixed with new pushrods)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonthomasfrance
    304 AMC
    • Sep 04, 2001

So your problem was valve guides? What are valve guides? And where do they go? How can you check them? Just curious...
    jason thomas france
    GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

Very unlikely Valve guides will make lifter noise or a sound at all. Valve guides are what the valves go through in your head. You can measure the side to side movement by removeing the Valve retainer clips and spring. Mount a dial indicator and move valve side to side and get the reading compare to spec. Bad valve seals and oil consumption are whats to be blamed to wore out valve guides.
      Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
      Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Oso
        232 I6
        • Jun 07, 2002

They do make racket if they get bad enough.
        \'83 Wagoneer<br />Fresh 360 and Auto trans<br />Chickenpoop yellow and ugly as sin. So far the Government hasn\'t passed any laws against ugly.<br /><br />ICQ# 101846333<br />Email - [email protected]<br />MSN Messenger - [email protected]

Comment

• Oracle
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 07, 2002

Oso, in my experience you'll notice a lot of oil consumption and smoke before you hear the valve rattling in worn guides. They aren't a big deal to handle though, good excuse to redo the heads [img]smile.gif[/img]
          83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

• CowKiller
            FSJ Executioner
            • Apr 03, 2002

u said that the cheby 350 rods would fit into a 360. what about a 304? are they all the same?
            Corey Zakeosian
            2002 gmc 2500Hd duramax
            2000 Ford f-550 work truck
            1986 f350 6.9 diesel hp60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 36x12.5 military wranglers. TOY!
            NO JEEP
            I am ready to meet my Maker. Wether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
              304 AMC
              • Sep 04, 2001

Don't know about 360 to 304... But the chevy rods aren't the same size as the stock rods. They are close to the same width, but they are about 1/16th - 1/8th longer than stock.

Anyone: Are the pushrods in the 304 the same as in the 360?
              jason thomas france
              GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

• CowKiller
                FSJ Executioner
                • Apr 03, 2002

i know they are longer but i got the same noise u had.
                Corey Zakeosian
                2002 gmc 2500Hd duramax
                2000 Ford f-550 work truck
                1986 f350 6.9 diesel hp60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 36x12.5 military wranglers. TOY!
                NO JEEP
                I am ready to meet my Maker. Wether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
                  304 AMC
                  • Sep 04, 2001

Maybe Crazy_Jeepman would know... Are the 360 rods the same as the 304?
                  jason thomas france
                  GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

• Jeep Craze
                    304 AMC
                    • Sep 14, 2001

Hey Jason,
                    Just FYI Stock chevy 350 and stock AMC 360 pushrods are the same size. Look it up in the summit mag. Maybe your parts store sold you the next size bigger chevy rod? But I do know that they are the same size.

Redneck:
                    The 304 360 and 401 should all have the same size pushrods. And acording to summit racing the 390 is teh same size as well. But the amc 304-401 and chevy 262-400CI are the same size. Now you can get different lenghts but stock is stock and a 304 is the same stock lenght as a 360. Craig
                    91 GW 360/727 Black cherry metallic, maroon interior, 100% restored with some mods.
                    1985 J20, Chevy 350/700r4/jeep208 3" rough country lift kit
                    83 CJ8 Scrambler-Wifes Toy MERCEDES TURBO DIESEL /4spd, 4" lift, 35" tires
                    2014 Polaris RZR 570- PRP Bench Seats. 3 -5 point harness,2" lift kit, roof, windshield

Comment

• Oso
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 07, 2002

Oracle - I did have a lot of oil consuption and smoke. You think all that haze you've been seeing came from the Arizona fires?

Upside - not many skeeters in my neighborhood.

And truthfully - I didn't want to do just the top end on an engine that had 177K miles on it. So I longblocked it.

[ July 01, 2002, 09:55 AM: Message edited by: Oso ]
                      \'83 Wagoneer<br />Fresh 360 and Auto trans<br />Chickenpoop yellow and ugly as sin. So far the Government hasn\'t passed any laws against ugly.<br /><br />ICQ# 101846333<br />Email - [email protected]<br />MSN Messenger - [email protected]

Comment

• Bob Barry
                        Jeep Doctor
                        • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by jasonthomasfrance:
                        Ah... Yes? Haha... 23lbs? or 32? I tightened like some others have saig, to the metal then 1/2-1/4 turn... I guess I won't worry too much about the noise.
                        Based on your reply, I'm still not quite sure how you've tightened down the rockers. The trick is to get the #1 cylinder at true TDC, then torque the rocker-arm bolts down to spec (32 ft/lbs sounds about right; but check the manual). Then turn the engine over a 1/4-turn, and tighten the rockers on the next cylinder in the firing order, turn it another 1/4-turn, tighten next cylinder, and so on, until you've done two full engine revolutions and finished the firing order.

If you've just tightened them down so the rockers are contacting the valvestem and the pushrod tip, and then went another 1/2-turn, then your rockers are simply loose. That only works on a Chevy-type adjustable rocker arm setup (which you don't have if your Jeep is '76 or newer).
                        1987 J-20
                        Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• jasonthomasfrance
                          304 AMC
                          • Sep 04, 2001

Ah ha! That's probably it! Too bad it's raining right now... I'll have to wait until tomorrow or the day after to fix it.

Any permanent damage from waiting?
                          jason thomas france
                          GoFSJ.com/fsj

Comment

Chevy and 290 to 401 AMC engines use the same push rods. The rockers are torqued to spec and that is it. No adjustments are made, or possible. The torque spec is to tighten the rocker arms down and that is it. You could tighten it down by hand to snug or to breaking point........No difference would be noticed.
                            Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                            Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• Oracle
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 07, 2002

heheheh
                              83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

Working...
                              X