• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 76j10build
    232 I6
    • Nov 13, 2019

Adding a sway bar

I would like to add a sway bar to my J10, which didn't come with one. I don't think the spring plates have sway bar mounts.
    1. Do I have to get the plates with mounts, or are there other alternatives?
    2. Will my frame have holes for the bushing mounts?

I appreciate any help anyone could provide. I am putting on new front springs in the next few days, so if I have to switch the plates I'd like to do it now...
  • asphaltrockdweller
    350 Buick
    • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by 76j10build
    I would like to add a sway bar to my J10, which didn't come with one. I don't think the spring plates have sway bar mounts.
    1. Do I have to get the plates with mounts, or are there other alternatives?
    2. Will my frame have holes for the bushing mounts?

I appreciate any help anyone could provide. I am putting on new front springs in the next few days, so if I have to switch the plates I'd like to do it now...

The frame on a 76 that did not come with a factory sway bar will need to have a mount welded to the frame. You will also have to find a 76+ sway bar, spring plates, sway bar U-Mount, Bolts, connecting link, and the special studs that that hold it in place.
    If you have a lift kit, you will need extended connecting links for it.

I have two 76 Waggy's, and one came with a sway bar, and the other did not.
    My first Wagoneer is the one that came without.
    After driving my Chuchua Waggy with, I was sold!
    My yellow Wagoneer handled so much better on the road with the sway bar.

Here is a picture of the mount I had to add to the frame;

You could sawzall or gring a factory mount from a junkyard, but I just welded some C channel in there and tapped out two holes to mount the bar.

These are the spring plates you will need from a donor Wag:

(Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• 76j10build
      232 I6
      • Nov 13, 2019

Thanks for that information. I will try to start gathering up the parts.
      I posted in the want ads to see if anyone has any of the parts, hopefully I hear back from someone. There aren't many of these in the salvage yards around me.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

If you need any pictures of the factory mounts on the frame, and how I added mounts to the Waggy that did not come with a SB let me know?
        I see you might of found everything you need in the wanted section.

Comment

• MReese Wagonner
          230 Tornado
          • Jul 17, 2019

So on this same subject has anyone installed a rear anti sway bar,? they are listed on one of the vendors
          New 83 Wagoneer Brougham
          old 99 Grand Cherokee Limited
          http://www.mandgoilandlube.com

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
            350 Buick
            • Jul 09, 2009

Originally posted by MReese Wagonner
            So on this same subject has anyone installed a rear anti sway bar,? they are listed on one of the vendors

I have one that I pulled off of my 74 waggy, but that thing was destined to the scrap yard, so I have no idea how well it worked? I mean that Wagoneer was hashed, and it did not have a front bar anyways.

So I do plan to install it on one of my 76's later on how ever. I have pictures of it installed (mainly so I can remember how to put on another Jeep later.

But this should be in a new thread on "rear sway bars".

Comment

• 76j10build
              232 I6
              • Nov 13, 2019

I *think* I can see what you did fairly well from the pictures you posted. I will be attempting to do the same thing. The one thing I may need is to know the distance to the frame mounts out from some fixed point so I can properly locate them.

Comment

• 76j10build
                232 I6
                • Nov 13, 2019

asphaltrockdweller, is there a chance you could give me the a reference for the location of the sway bar mount on your frame? Also - does anyone know where to get the extended sway bar end links - is there something I can get at my local parts store?
                Lastly - is there any benefit to having a track bar on the front? I want this thing to be very well mannered ON road, and if a track bar helps, I will see what it takes to install one.
                I have access to the bar, but would have to fab up all the mounting stuff, as my truck did not have one originally.

I am trying to get the vehicle as well mannered on road as is possible, despite a small lift and larger tires. Any advice is welcome.

Comment

• Riozilla
                  230 Tornado
                  • Apr 13, 2019

Does anyone have a rear anti-sway bar installed on their Grand Wagoneer? If so, would you mind sharing a photo or two of the install here?

I purchased the Addco one and am having a challenging time lining up the correct placement of the links from my pre-existing frame holes to the sway bar ends and could use some help.

Any photos of a successful install would be appreciated, thank you.

Rio

Comment

Working...
                  X