• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ProTouring442
    327 Rambler
    • Mar 15, 2011

To Lift Or Not To Lift...

OK, I've found my Wide Track (J-Series actually) axles, and I'll be picking them up next week (I was supposed to pick them up today, be I was preempted by the weather. I'm going in for sinus surgery tomorrow, so I cannot go this weekend...). In any case, as the weather should be getting a bit warmer soon, that means I will be back on my project... I hope...

It IS going to get warmer soon, right?

To the point, I have the J-series axles, and I want to run Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S tires. I am thinking of running LT315/75R16 which have a height of 33.1" according to TireRack.com

I like the look of this Cherokee:

Originally posted by Coryd55
    1976 Cherokee WT
    No lift
    33x12.5 tires

And this one:

Originally posted by OutrageGIS
    I will be converting to "Wide Track" fenders and quarters. Basically, I'll have a Wide Track Wagoneer. To get the above look/utility, and I won't be doing any heavy off roading, just the occasional dirt road, farmer's field, sort of thing, so no need for radical flexing and all that, should I go with the stock replacement springs, or the 2" lift?

As usual, thoughts, suggestions, and general directions as to where I should pick up my hand basket, and which direction I need to crank the handle for the trip "down" are greatly appreciated!
    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."
  • blazer3664
    350 Buick
    • Mar 08, 2009

Front axle out of a J-truck will be set up for SOA. Thats 6-7" of lift right there unless you cut the pads and move them back under the axle.

Also, not 100% sure, I am thinking the J-truck axles are actually just a bit wider yet than the normal "wide track" Wag/Chero axles. Wanting to say 3".

Is your Wag 2 door or 4 door?

Not much help, but its a start.

Jim
    modified flares, removable top, OBA w/200psi tank,
    LQ4, 4L80e,NWF doubler w/upside down 203
    SOA w/ D44s F+R for now
    H1 wheels+tires (cut), hydroboost brakes
    custom shackle flip
    W/F150 springs
    -----Coming Soon-----
    snorkels,
    OX'd D60/14B-FF

Comment

• fulsizjeep
      Señor Jackhead
      • Aug 21, 2002

74-88 Jtrucks were SUA on the front just like the Cherks and Waggys.
      Flint
      Ran when parked.
      http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
      88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
      76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
      http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• OutrageGIS
        258 I6
        • Feb 26, 2011

I believe the cherokees came with 2" more lift than same year wagoneers from the factory, they run 31" and some 32" tires with no problem. If you want to fit 33" under your wag I would think you would want 4" all around of spring lift. Others may have more experience with this...
        79 Cherokee, 360, QT, Stocky

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• addicted
          Big Meanie
          • Dec 11, 2004

The rear axle is wider on the J-trucks. It should just fit if you open the wheel wells up to the same specs as a W/T Cherokee. You will need to relocate the spring perches on the rear axle as well. Not a bolt in deal. The J-trucks have a wider rear frame for better stability when loaded.
          Originally posted by Ristow
          i bet it was Simon....
          he's such big meanie that way...
          please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• ProTouring442
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 15, 2011

Yes, I realize I will need to weld the spring perches in the correct places.

My Wagoneer is a 4-door (1989), but will be a Wide Track when I get done, including all the Wide Track flares.

But it is looking like a Cherokee sits higher from the factory (anyone know this to be true?), so then the 2" is probably the way to go. 4" seems like a lot.

Maybe the 3" Rough Country? I know it tends to be a bit stiffer, but I was thinking I could disassemble the spring packs and put Teflon between the leaves.

Hmm....
            You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

your rear axle will be wider than the cherokee W/T axle. look at pics of my cherokee with the J20 axles. the rear wheels are at the edge of the flares.

you'll want to lift it,or it's going to look just like a stock,squatty W/T cherokee.

there is no quick easy way to make rough lift spring ride nice. if you want plush you WILL pay for it. (softride/skyjacker).
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• addicted
                Big Meanie
                • Dec 11, 2004

2" to clear 33's and it will look just right after the settling that will occur.
                i bet it was Simon....
                he's such big meanie that way...
                please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                  Banned
                  • Mar 01, 2009

The front body mount on a 1970s Wag frame are ON the top of the front frame rail. 1970s J-trucks have a raised pedestal there. This alone allows for a stock 1" body lift. I don't know if later Jeeps from the 80s changed this, check yours. If the front body-mount rubber puck sits directly on the top of the frame-rail...you will need more body lift. Let me check my 1981 Cherk WT...be back in a bit....

(5 minutes later) yep. same as 1970s Wagoneer.
                  Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 02-14-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• ProTouring442
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 15, 2011

your rear axle will be wider than the cherokee W/T axle. look at pics of my cherokee with the J20 axles. the rear wheels are at the edge of the flares.

you'll want to lift it,or it's going to look just like a stock,squatty W/T cherokee.

there is no quick easy way to make rough lift spring ride nice. if you want plush you WILL pay for it. (softride/skyjacker).

I understand what you mean concerning cost. Frankly, it isn't cost that makes me consider modifying the Rough Country springs, it's that they are a stiffer spring, and thus should offer better on street handling. Installing Teflon between the springs will dramatically change the harshness of the spring however!

Since this is a daily driver, I want reasonable handling, and reasonable off road capabilities, a compromise I know, but one that I am willing to make to have a good, all-around vehicle which will be stable at 80mph, and fairly capable in snow or getting across a field or old dirt road where the creeks run across the road rather than the other way round.

This is the sort of look I am going for, maybe a touch higher. I say "look," but what I really mean is height. If I need to widen the Cherokee W/T flares to accomplish this, I have no problem in doing so.

Originally posted by jeepskater433
                    Vehicle: My old 1979 WT Cherokee
                    Tire Size and Make: 33/12.50/15 BFG MTs
                    Rim Size and Make: 15x10 Pro Comp Alloy Rims
                    How Much Lift: none
                    What Type of Lift: none
                    Did you had to trim your Wheel Openings: No
                    Any Rub: A little at full turn

Ristow, do you have a link to a pic of your Cherokee? I cannot seem to find it on here.
                    Last edited by ProTouring442; 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Ristow
                      • Jan 20, 2006

I understand what you mean concerning cost. Frankly, it isn't cost that makes me consider modifying the Rough Country springs, it's that they are a stiffer spring, and thus should offer better on street handling. Installing Teflon between the springs will dramatically change the harshness of the spring however!

i disagree. a buckboard ride is worse. rather than soak up the bump,they react to it,throwing the car,and the occupants around.

tune the suspension with tighter shocks,but spring it to manage the road.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                        Señor Jackhead
                        • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by OutrageGIS
                        I believe the cherokees came with 2" more lift than same year wagoneers from the factory, they run 31" and some 32" tires with no problem. If you want to fit 33" under your wag I would think you would want 4" all around of spring lift. Others may have more experience with this...
                        The Wide Track vehicles fit 31s on 15x8 wheels because the body has the WT fenders, not because of more lift. There is no more lift on a Cherokee than a Wagoneer from the factory.

If you want 33x12.5x15 to clear on a narrow track, you need at least 6" lift and even then there will probably be minor trimming. The fender wells are not nearly as large as the Wide Tracks. I have run 33s for a long time on a NT w/4" lift but a lot of the fenders had to be trimmed to fit without rubbing the body skin.
                        Last edited by fulsizjeep; 02-14-2014, 03:03 PM.
                        Flint
                        Ran when parked.
                        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• ProTouring442
                          327 Rambler
                          • Mar 15, 2011

i disagree. a buckboard ride is worse. rather than soak up the bump,they react to it,throwing the car,and the occupants around.

tune the suspension with tighter shocks,but spring it to manage the road.
                          We are close to agreement...

There are tow issues with leaf springs, the initial crash if getting the spring to move, and the actual stiffness of the spring.

The initial crash is due to having to overcome the friction of the spring-pack itself, while the stiffness is the actual spring rate.

The Rough Country seems to rely on a higher rate to provide lift, while the softer options seem to rely on a larger arch and a softer rate. For handling, I want a stiffer rate (the old adage that any suspension will work as long as you don't let is has some merit), but this will restrict its ability to flex.

The softer options will allow for better flex, but at the cost of hauling capacity (not that I plan on hauling the world), and handling (roll stiffness).

By putting the liners between the springs, especially if you take the time to smoothen the spring surfaces, you eliminate the stiction issue that causes the "crash."

So far, this is the direction I am leaning... with the knowledge I may be tossing the money to the wind! But if all my research is correct, it should work well.

Comment

• Ristow
                            • Jan 20, 2006

i have rough country springs on my black j20. it has a plow on it. when i lift the plow,the springs hardly give. they are STIFF.

Comment

• WHSII
                              Hack-Priss
                              • Feb 06, 2010

Hello Bill,

Some of the J10's came with 31" tires stock. As far as I have seen, the springs from a Cherokee and a J10 are the same. AMC did not do too much specialization work to these rigs. They were just placed different as to the width.

I do not know that the 33" tires will rub or not, but I would guess they would be fine if not flexing greatly. I am thinking of interior access. You seem to be, as me crossing the line to "golden years" I am 6"4" and my J10 with 31's is a perfect height. Just a point to consider.
                              WH

Dad's J10, Honcho, 1980 Sport Side
                              Build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=118144

https://picasaweb.google.com/113072766039246994279/JeepJ10Honcho

Herbina 1987 Grand Wagoneer

Founding Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                              X