78 Wagoneer, Building a driver! New Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Full Size Jeeper
    304 AMC
    • Jul 20, 2014

Okay, all four doors have the last coat of primer on them and just need to be blocked with 600 right before paint. Over the weekend I hung two pieces of pipe to hang the doors for painting.
    1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
    Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
      304 AMC
      • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
      Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
        304 AMC
        • Jul 20, 2014

They come right out, but the Wagoneer fits without taking them down.
        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

I pulled out the tailgate I will probably use on the Wagoneer. I bought one out of California, but it got crushed during shipping. Was not a complete loss, did get some good parts out of it, but really needed the gate. Anyway, I found a good newer gate in new Orleans, but it is from a late model and the latch is in the wrong place. Here is a pic of a newer tailgate with the early latch catch installed. It worked but really looks bad.
          Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 09-29-2019, 07:19 PM.
          1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
            304 AMC
            • Jul 20, 2014

So what I plan on doing is drilling out the holes and welding in a new piece of metal, then re-drilling the holes in the right place. I built a jig years ago to relocate the holes.
            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
              304 AMC
              • Jul 20, 2014

This is it bolted in place.
              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                304 AMC
                • Jul 20, 2014

I marked the gate with a marker just to show the slight difference in the two. Close ain't good enough.
                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 20, 2014

Anyway, this gate is in good shape with Just a little rust and a few dents.
                  1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                    304 AMC
                    • Jul 20, 2014

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                      304 AMC
                      • Jul 20, 2014

I finished laying out and drilling the holes for the latch on the tailgate. I know it doesn't look like much, But I would rather take an @ss whipping than do that again! New location Marked.
                      Last edited by Full Size Jeeper; 10-02-2019, 06:13 PM.
                      1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                        304 AMC
                        • Jul 20, 2014

Drilled
                        1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                          304 AMC
                          • Jul 20, 2014

Holes countersunk.

1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                            304 AMC
                            • Jul 20, 2014

Made a metal plug for one of the old holes.
                            1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 20, 2014

The first side.
                              1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
                                304 AMC
                                • Jul 20, 2014

I'ts not perfect but I think it came out pretty good. If you have a good tailgate, thank your lucky stars, because they are hard to find.
                                1978 Wagoneer

Mods:

Comment

Working...
                                X