• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ross80truck
    232 I6
    • Oct 17, 2011

Intercooler options

Getting to the point in my build when I need to start looking at intercoolers. Just wanted to know what others are using and where they got it. I am installing a Cummins 6BT in my 85 Wagoneer. If you can, post some pics as well. Thanks.
    Life Priorities:
    1. God
    2. Wife
    3. Children ( Lane )
    4. Work
    5. Wagoneer

Man it is hard to keep them in the right order!
  • poolmike
    232 I6
    • Mar 03, 2005

I used a Mishimoto in my M715. Had to cut the inner fenders for the plumbing, but it fits. I'll have to look up the part number.
    '68 M715, Cummins P-pump 5.9, NV4500, NP205, 14 bolt/Dana 60, 20x10 American Racing Mojave's w/12.50R20 Michelin XL's, relentless rust....

Comment

• ross80truck
      232 I6
      • Oct 17, 2011

Originally posted by poolmike
      I used a Mishimoto in my M715. Had to cut the inner fenders for the plumbing, but it fits. I'll have to look up the part number.
      Poolmike, would definitely appreciate it if you could post the part number. Thanks.
      Life Priorities:
      1. God
      2. Wife
      3. Children ( Lane )
      4. Work
      5. Wagoneer

Comment

• Resbum
        327 Rambler
        • Jun 16, 2010

I read this thread yesterday and spent some time thinking it over before replying.

The Dodge OEM intercooler that came with my donor engine was pretty easy and straightforwad to install, once I figured out how to do it.

I think no matter which IC you end up using would require some trimming of the front valence, but if you used the Dodge one, and turned it upside down, you probably wouldn't have to mod it like I had to.

I'm interested to see what you come up with.
        Originally posted by Resbum
        "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• ross80truck
          232 I6
          • Oct 17, 2011

I read this thread yesterday and spent some time thinking it over before replying.

The Dodge OEM intercooler that came with my donor engine was pretty easy and straightforwad to install, once I figured out how to do it.

I think no matter which IC you end up using would require some trimming of the front valence, but if you used the Dodge one, and turned it upside down, you probably wouldn't have to mod it like I had to.

I'm interested to see what you come up with.
          After a day of beating my head on the wall and looking at the stock Dodge intercooler, I have figured out how you were able to mount the Dodge IC in your J20. The J20 has different body mounts over the Wagoneer effectively giving it what appears to be a 1.5" to 2" body lift over the Wagoneer. In order to mount the intercooler in a Wagoneer, you would have to install a 2" body lift. There is only 14 of clearance between the frame rail and the lower valance support that helps hold the two pieces together.
          Life Priorities:
          1. God
          2. Wife
          3. Children ( Lane )
          4. Work
          5. Wagoneer

Comment

• budojeepr
            350 Buick
            • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by poolmike
            This thread got me thinkin' again about an IC. Poolmike, how did you mount it? Got pics up here somewhere?

Thanks!
            Don't be yourself. Be someone a little nicer. -Mignon McLaughlin, journalist and author (1913-1983)

Comment

• Resbum
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 16, 2010

Running seriously late for an appointment. I can post more detail if needed later.

The front of these tabs bolt to valence

You can see the new header top and top plate back on in this pic.
              "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Resbum
                327 Rambler
                • Jun 16, 2010

Save tabs, straighten them, weld back onto valence

Comment

• Mikel
                  • Aug 09, 2000

The first generation dodge CTD intercooler fits very well with some minor inner fender massaging.
                  1969 M715 6x6
                  1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• ross80truck
                    232 I6
                    • Oct 17, 2011

Resbum, Thanks for the detail on the modifications. This definitively clears up a lot of questions that I had. I think I am going to go this same rout and run the Cummins intercooler. I think I am going to invert it though. We will see.
                    Life Priorities:
                    1. God
                    2. Wife
                    3. Children ( Lane )
                    4. Work
                    5. Wagoneer

Comment

• Resbum
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jun 16, 2010

Glad it helped. Sorry for the earlier confusion. Yesterday I was in a hurry. Here's some more info. If you can weld aluminum it will cost nothing but time. Otherwise, you need to decide how much welding you're willing to pay for.

I decided to add these filler pieces at the last minute. With them and the round covers back in place none of the header tanks can be seen and it just looks like an extra wide radiator behind the grill. I trimmed the valence to the inside edge of the header tanks. That barely left three of the four screw holes for remounting the round covers. (trying to preserve "stock" look as much as possible)

This is a test fit of the grill during early fabrication. Imagine the round covers back on. With everything painted a satin black it takes a knowing eye to catch the mods.

I would highly recommend mod'ing the inlet and outlet of the IC. If you're seriously thinking of inverting the IC you could also trim the header tank down like the red line shows. You would need to move the mounting/support studs to the other end of the header anyways, so that wouldn't pose a problem.

Another thing I thought of yesterday was that I intentionly pushed the IC as far forward as I could possibly get it to make room for the trans and oil cooler to mount between IC and radiator. You could probably gain 1" of clearance in front of the IC by moving it back. This would most likely greatly reduce the amount of trimming on the valence needed.

If you go with the Dodge IC, and use the the things I learned before you start, you'll probably end up with a super clean looking install. A lot nicer than mine, and what I envisioned mine was going to look like. I'm seriously looking forward to how yours turns out.
                      Last edited by Resbum; 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• SJTD
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 26, 2012

Have you looked at the older Dodge I/C ('91-'93?)? I believe it's not as tall. Core is around 30.5" x 12.5". Overall width is about 37.5".

Looking at Resbum's thread I was thinking "that doesn't look like mine" until I realized mine's the older one. Haven't tried to install it yet.

If you want a picher I could get one Saturday when I get home.

Edit: After reading the subsequent posts I see that I missed Mikel suggesting this above. My apologies for not referencing it.
                        Last edited by SJTD; 01-30-2013, 08:35 AM.
                        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• Resbum
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jun 16, 2010

After Mikel and SJTD both mentioned the earlier Dodge IC I got curious and went looking for a pic of one. I only found one image and the poster said it's for a 92.

SJTD, I don't know about ross, but I'd like to see some pics of yours.

Comment

• rwjohnstone
                            232 I6
                            • Jul 17, 2011

Mikel and SJTD are correct, those intercoolers are smaller and would fit nicely in the valence, when I get to the shop tonight I can take a few pictures of the rotted one I have with dimensions if you would like.
                            "Decide what to be and go be it." - The Avett Brothers

1964 J-200 "Alice" Build Thread:

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=150066

1979 CJ-7 (s) - Status: Dismantled Hibernation

1981 J-10 - Status: Parts? Daily Driver? Lawn Ornament?

1993 Cherokee Sport - Status: Sold (408,000 miles)

Comment

• ross80truck
                              232 I6
                              • Oct 17, 2011

Originally posted by rwjohnstone
                              Mikel and SJTD are correct, those intercoolers are smaller and would fit nicely in the valence, when I get to the shop tonight I can take a few pictures of the rotted one I have with dimensions if you would like.
                              Yes, post up some pics. It is good information for all of us looking to do it.

Resbum, I am a good welder, but I cannot weld aluminum to save my life. Thankfully I have a friend that can weld aluminum very well and is a sales rep for Victor Technologies and has access to all the latest and greatest welding equipment and best of all, he owes me a couple of favors.
                              Life Priorities:
                              1. God
                              2. Wife
                              3. Children ( Lane )
                              4. Work
                              5. Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X