• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheJeeper
    258 I6
    • Mar 31, 2009

Rate the 230ci.

Here is a poll about the 230 Tornado engine. Rate your opinion of it in general. I.E Drivabilty, power, torque and durability.
    Terrible
    0%
    Okay
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Great
    0%
    Exceptional
    0%
    '65 J200: 230ci., T90A-1, built with T90J input shaft, Spicer 18, 2.47:1, D44s: 4.27s. 31x11.50x15 vintage Star M/Ts

Regarding a manual valve-bodied auto... "To me that's like trying to play a fiddle with a sawzall."

Nothing in written by me in ANY post can be used without my written consent.

~Eli's Jeep Supply~
  • Tornado230
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2008

I had the experience with the 230 back in the mid 60's.
    My father had a 2WD Wagoneer, 230/1 barrel Holley.
    Good performance, fair gas mileage.
    The first production ones were good, but they ran into problems when they started to mass-produce for the '63-64 run. The last ones were fairly good.

Comment

• trellis8
      Ristows' Minion
      • Jan 16, 2007

Mine runs like a top. Best part is it looks so freakin' cool!
      1979 Widetrack Cherokee, 1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1985 Grand Wagoneer, 1973 J4000, 1982 Mustang GT, 1999 Chevy C2500 xcab, 2001 Chevy Van, 2000 Ford Expedition, 1989 F250 plow and 1951 Desoto Deluxe

Comment

• TheJeeper
        258 I6
        • Mar 31, 2009

Originally posted by Tornado230
        I had the experience with the 230 back in the mid 60's.
        My father had a 2WD Wagoneer, 230/1 barrel Holley.
        Good performance, fair gas mileage.
        The first production ones were good, but they ran into problems when they started to mass-produce for the '63-64 run. The last ones were fairly good.
        How much mileage did it get?
        '65 J200: 230ci., T90A-1, built with T90J input shaft, Spicer 18, 2.47:1, D44s: 4.27s. 31x11.50x15 vintage Star M/Ts

Regarding a manual valve-bodied auto... "To me that's like trying to play a fiddle with a sawzall."

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

• Tornado230
          350 Buick
          • Sep 14, 2008

I remember 15 MPG or so.
          It had a 4:09 rear, no overdrive.
          The main problem was filling the tank. The vent system was not good, and you had to have the left rear high and the right front low in order to fill the tank.

Comment

• Elliott
            Cowboy Up
            • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by Tornado230
            I remember 15 MPG or so.
            It had a 4:09 rear, no overdrive.
            The main problem was filling the tank. The vent system was not good, and you had to have the left rear high and the right front low in order to fill the tank.
            LOL, that is so Jeep.... every freaking Chero I had sucked like that....
            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• TheJeeper
              258 I6
              • Mar 31, 2009

That's not bad. I was wondering so I would know what to look forward too when I get mine road worthy.
              Haha I'm thankful that it had the gas tank replaced before I got it.

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

• tgreese
                • May 29, 2003

Even back in the day, they had a terrible reputation. I did not pay much attention to anything but the CJ prior to about 1970, but there were quite a few of them still around then. The Jeep mechanics back then said this reputation was not wholly deserved. However, you could buy a 230 pickup or Wagoneer cheap, even then, and many got the small-block treatment.
                Tim Reese
                Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• TheJeeper
                  258 I6
                  • Mar 31, 2009

I've heard about the bad rep. For instance, the camshaft wore excessively. But could that be attributed to the quality of oil back then?

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

• Headhoncho
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Oct 11, 2006

Only experience I have with the 230 is driving my buddies 100% stock '715 back in the eighties. The low gears made it feel like a powerful engine but you could tell the horepower just wasn't there. Shifting the un-synchroed trans was fun too. The coolness factor is through the roof. Someday I'll have my own 230 powered early Jeep.

JR
                    [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                    1966 mustang fastback
                    '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Elliott
                      Cowboy Up
                      • Jun 22, 2002

Wasn't it the first Hemi in an auto? Maybe I'm wrong, but it was based on a Lycoming from what I understand and thought it was the 1st auto use of Hemi pistons.
                      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• drlocke
                        Roadside Mechanic
                        • Dec 29, 2003

It is a serious problem...

That camshaft wear may become more of an issue with the removal by lubricant manufacturers of the zinc compounds from oil of late. It seems that such removal has seriously compromised lubricity from what I have heard. This affects all engines. BTW. It apparently is being a serious problem--particularly with GM cams and with other older engines.

Comment

• drlocke
                          Roadside Mechanic
                          • Dec 29, 2003

Additional thoughts on the OHC 230....

These motors had many innovative designs, and such design was associated with high-performance in general. The engines were very responsive--as by nature of their design. And some tended to push them.

My personal findings have been that those that didn't respond to such temptation generally found that the engines lasted an average amount of mileage before upper end issues became apparent.

Then there were those clowns that really wanted to "see what this mill can do"... Those cases never had a very happy ending. It seems that the bottom end of the motor couldn't support what was going on at the top end...was my take...FWIW.... Some of the failures I saw were pretty spectacular.....

Comment

• drlocke
                            Roadside Mechanic
                            • Dec 29, 2003

Give the skinny pedal a break!

Of course any old farmer will tell you if you want to make a truck or other vehicle last...

Don't push it!

OK.

I opened my head and said what I said...

Comment

• TheJeeper
                              258 I6
                              • Mar 31, 2009

Hemi pistons? I've never heard anything about that.

Originally posted by Elliott
                              Wasn't it the first Hemi in an auto? Maybe I'm wrong, but it was based on a Lycoming from what I understand and thought it was the 1st auto use of Hemi pistons.

~Eli's Jeep Supply~

Comment

Working...
                              X