• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bkilby
    350 Buick
    • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
    I think $2500 is the ole we don't want to bother with it price.

Lol. My buddy and I joked saying that's the I don't want to do it price. So yeah, I agree.
    1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• bkilby
      350 Buick
      • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
      What about getting it vinyl wrapped?

Thought about that too. I wonder what WCC would charge....not! Lol!

Comment

• bkilby
        350 Buick
        • Jan 10, 2016

Progress? I guess that's what you call it. The new paint guy said a week. That was 2 months ago. Lol. Just got it back yesterday evening.

Comment

• rws31
          258 I6
          • Dec 10, 2016

Please hurry up and get that installed. I wanted to do what you did and make a complete custom dash but chickened out. Can't wait to see it installed with the gauges. Very nice!
          89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
          1988 Ramcharger
          1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
          2003 Durango 4x4
          1982 CJ7 4 banger
          2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• itselliot
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2010

I just started looking thru your build thread...(luckily) The Bultear photos made me spot my incorrect idler wheel set-up.....Going to get a longer belt and turn my idler "down" ASAP...
            If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
            [email protected]
            616 four 03 44 0 five
            '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
            "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
            '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

ho-ho-ho green giant !!!

dang that dash looks good,...worth the wait !

really nice,..... it is going to be super cool.

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

Been in a holding pattern on the dash. I was suppose to get help from an ex employee and start the dash after Christmas but that didn't happen. It's next on the list but for now, I decided it'd be a great idea to do a shackle reversal. Lol. I wasn't liking how the Jeep was handling and decided to just "do it".

I decided to buy the "YJ Shackle Reversal" system that WFO Concepts offers. It's the correct width, uses the correct size bushings and bolts and has a cut out for the steering gear box. I can go more into it later but for now, a couple of pics.

The before look.

The WFO bracket being installed..... kind of..

I have everything all lined up the best I could, tack welded it (more like 1/2" stitches) but something is off. Like a lot. The WFO bracket is 100% spot on when measuring from the rear brackets or any other part of the frame but when you look at it from the side, the passenger side is approx 1/2-3/4" farther forward than the drivers side. A buddy and I spent a few hours today measuring, measuring and measuring and come to the conclusion that the frame is probably bent, maybe diamond shaped. The rear axle appears to be crooked as well. Yay.

Comment

• bkilby
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 10, 2016

I'm going to call a local shop on Monday to see if they have a frame rack. I think they do but not sure. Anyhow, it's frustrating to get this far then have to stop because something just ain't right. Btw, the wheel base on the passenger side is approx 3/4" longer than the drivers side at this point. Ugh.

Al, I still owe you an email. I haven't forgotten. Lol.

Comment

• bkilby
                    350 Buick
                    • Jan 10, 2016

Got the Jeep back from the shop. No solid conclusion as to what's going on. They said the rear axle is bent slightly on the drivers side. Too much negative camber (leaning in at the top). They also concluded the wheelbase is .600 longer on the passenger side. Gee, didn't I already say that in the previous post? Lol. They said the WFO bracket is in correct, the frame doesn't appear to be bent or diamond shaped. They think it's all in the rear axle and the body is on the frame crooked. They did give me lots of print outs though. I guess I'll just use my own tape measure and figure out what to do.

When we were doing the measuring last Saturday, we did see the factory put the rear axle in crooked by 1/4" but can't recall direction. Even if I correct the rear, that doesn't correct the front looking like it's in crooked....unless the body is on crooked. <sigh>. It's always something.....

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                      Administrator
                      • Oct 31, 2016

Hm. I guess that's good news? I mean it doesn't answer you questions but it's better than doing a chassis swap at this point...

When you say:
                      Originally posted by bkilby
                      the factory put the rear axle in crooked by 1/4"
                      Think of how many areas there are of slop that can make up that 1/4". A little bit of slop (say 1/16") in where the hole on the spring pad on your axle, a little slop in the bolt hole on the spring centering bolt location (say another 1/16"), a little bit of slip or wear in the spring eyelet bushing (say 1/8") and your axle is now 1/4" off (assuming you are measuring the location of the axle compared to the chassis and not the location of the spring perches). I wonder how much effect that 1/4" has on your rig? I am sure I am preaching to the choir here...
                      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                      (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                      (Cherokee Build Thread)
                      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• SJTD
                        304 AMC
                        • Apr 26, 2012

Body could be crooked on the frame but when you consider that it's maybe twice as long as it is wide to get half an inch front/back at the front wheel you'd have to move the back an inch to the side. Should be easy measure to see if that's it. The book may even have the reference points to measure. There's lotsa slop in the stock mount sleeves.

Did you spend some time measuring the fender itself? Maybe it's off. Go from the back edge forward.

Maybe make a template of one opening and try it on the other side. Could be the angles at the front of the openings are a little different.

I was thinking about different arch in the springs but that would show up in the wheelbase and a difference from the front eye to the axle. Frame guy should have seen it.
                        Last edited by SJTD; 02-07-2020, 11:10 AM.
                        Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• bkilby
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                          a little bit of slip or wear in the spring eyelet bushing (say 1/8") and your axle is now 1/4" off (assuming you are measuring the location of the axle compared to the chassis and not the location of the spring perches). I wonder how much effect that 1/4" has on your rig? I am sure I am preaching to the choir here...

We weren't measuring the axle itself. Too many variables. We were measuring certain points on the frame to the front leaf spring pin mounts. Remember, this is a '74. No fancy double shear leaf spring mounts here.

Comment

• bkilby
                            350 Buick
                            • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by SJTD
                            Body could be crooked on the frame but when you consider that it's maybe twice as long as it is wide to get half an inch front/back at the front wheel you'd have to move the back an inch to the side. Should be easy measure to see if that's it. The book may even have the reference points to measure. There's lotsa slop in the stock mount sleeves.

Did you spend some time measuring the fender itself? Maybe it's off. Go from the back edge forward.

Maybe make a template of one opening and try it on the other side. Could be the angles at the front of the openings are a little different.

I was thinking about different arch in the springs but that would show up in the wheelbase and a difference from the front eye to the axle. Frame guy should have seen it.

We did measure the fender. They appear pretty close in measurements. But I need to measure again. I didn't write anything down. I'll have to check the wheel opening to see if they're the same.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
                              350 Buick
                              • Jul 09, 2009

Time for......
                              That and a little JB Weld and your goodtogo!
                              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• bkilby
                                350 Buick
                                • Jan 10, 2016

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                                Time for......
                                That and a little JB Weld and your goodtogo!

LOL. You're funny. Maybe JB Weld the sawsall to the work bench?

Comment

Working...
                                X