• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepdreamer
    327 Rambler
    • Jan 27, 2008

hey BOBO..
    As far as i know...Jeep NEVER used anything BUT t-400s prior to 1980. I may be wrong but im pretty sure. Id say your safe unless someone swapped it..? I cant imagine anyone with a jeep swapping stuff out though..! LMAO!!! But yes, You should be able to "gut" it, swap shafts and adapters.. and run with it cheap. If you dont know how to rebuild the t-400 that will be your biggest cost! For some reasons the older 3sp trannies have gotten more expensive as they get used less and less from people switching to 4spds??? Go figgure!! Supply and demand drops and the price goes UP!! Whatever happened to simple economics??
    I also like the doubler set up. The only downside is the sheer wieght!! But for relitivly cheap you can go DEEP with the gearing!! You could also use 2 (or 3 or 4??) 203 rangeboxes before the 205. Im sure youve loked at off road designs website? I think Rube adapters may make doubler kits too. also Jedds machine makes doublers.
    Last edited by jeepdreamer; 02-04-2009, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• Bobbo
      350 Buick
      • Sep 11, 2003

Mdill thanks for your input !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      78 Cherokee WT with a 4" BJ's system 401/TH400/half of a QT and 35/13.50-15 Toyo MTs

Comment

• Bobbo
        350 Buick
        • Sep 11, 2003

Originally posted by jeepdreamer
        hey BOBO..
        As far as i know...Jeep NEVER used anything BUT t-400s prior to 1980. I may be wrong but im pretty sure. Id say your safe unless someone swapped it..? I cant imagine anyone with a jeep swapping stuff out though..! LMAO!!! But yes, You should be able to "gut" it, swap shafts and adapters.. and run with it cheap. If you dont know how to rebuild the t-400 that will be your biggest cost! For some reasons the older 3sp trannies have gotten more expensive as they get used less and less from people switching to 4spds??? Go figgure!! Supply and demand drops and the price goes UP!! Whatever happened to simple economics??
        Well, I hope it works out like this, and I don't KNOW how to rebuild a transmission, but I am handy with a wrench and I can read a book so I have no fear of doing it. Plus I have another TH400 (for a QT of course) if I mess it up so bad I wreck the whole thing, I can start over again.
        78 Cherokee WT with a 4" BJ's system 401/TH400/half of a QT and 35/13.50-15 Toyo MTs

Comment

• fulsizjeep
          Señor Jackhead
          • Aug 21, 2002

If you don't mind keeping a QuadraTrac, you can still find them NOS on eBay. We bought two of them couple years ago. They won't be available forever. Does not include Low Range unit. Last week I saw one for $695 "buy it now" plus shipping. Chinga man, that is a drop in solution to put your FSJ back on the road. I'm just sayin...
          Flint
          Ran when parked.
          http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
          88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
          76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
          http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• mdill
            Gone. Not Forgotten.
            • Nov 22, 2000

A few corrections:
            1) With a part time kit a Q-trac does not need the "special" oil, that is only there for the origonal cone clutches, which are eliminated with the kit.
            2) The chains last a good long time if not beat hard, but the newest one is 30 years old now, so depending on the previous owner it is time for a chain. If the case goes Boom it is because of the owner not taking care of his rig.
            3) There is no need for non-factory (GM or Jeep) parts to swap to a number of different T-cases. If on the cheap, find a GM th-400 + 208 C from a 80's GM truck (Should be pretty cheap) buy a rebuild kit swap the guts into you AMC case bolt on the GM adapter and T-case and be done with it, should run ~ same cost as a rebuild ~ a couple hundred, don't you think a 30+ year old tranny is likely due for a overhaul ?

Mike d.

Originally posted by jeepdreamer
            Boy, did i open a can o'worms!! LOL
            So im kinda leaning towards dumping the 400/Qtrac. I believe it is an ok system that was ahead of its time. Unfortunatly it is maint. intensive and not very "bomb-proof"! When its maintained its great... point and shoot! But the mile marker part time kit is really a must (more $$) and even then the chains have a very finite lifespan. God help you if you run out of the "Special" fluid.. BOOM!! SNAP!!! BANG!!! just like an old Batman comicbook!! Aluminum scrap anyone?? Kinda sucks since the T400 is one of the BEST auto trannies ever made!! Also, to swap the output shaft the tranny must be completely dis-assembled so you'd be foolish not to rebuild it (MOREmore$$) plus the cost of the novak kit. I had forgot about the funky quadratrac mounting pattern. I think im going to either A: source a junkyard tranny/t-case combo or B: part out my 200 dollar investment and use what i need and sell the rest.?. Can someone remind me if the Q-trac is dvr or passenger side diff up front??
            -----------------------------------------
            Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
            1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
            1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
            1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
            1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
            And the other stuff that gets driven
            ----------------------------------------

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
              --- you can still find them NOS on eBay. ---- Last week I saw one for $695 "buy it now" plus shipping. ----
              Never thought about dabay..... thanks Flint
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• jeepdreamer
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 27, 2008

I agree with YOU mdill!! Personally im skeerd to tear into a auto tranny. Well, not afraid to tear it apart but i wouldnt expect it to WORK!! LOL. And i can reeed...sum! I just think some things are better left to the guys that do it everyday if you expect good results and dont want to buy the same parts over again?? Funny, cause i have no quams about tearing into a manual tranny!?! The one thing i DO know about autos is cleanliness is mui-importante!!!! Some of that stuff is real hard to get completely clean and the torque converter mest be sent out anyway or buy a new one. Yup... 30 year old trannies need lovin!

Comment

• incommando

D20 is one of the most underrated cases out there. I don't know if I'd buy a big $$$ adapter to use it, though.

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

If you search eBay for QuadraTrac, it will show if listed.
                    If not, PM me - I have his email and you can deal with him direct.
                    I have seen them listed for anywhere between 695 and 765 over the past year.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                      350 Buick
                      • May 25, 2005

Originally posted by tgreese
                      You can if you buy an adapter.
                      http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_134.htm
                      Eff that! I have a buddy with a quadrajunk rig and this thread made me ask but now I remember the best idea to remedy the th400/ quadra and that's with a TF727 and Dana300 combo or a 205. You could get both for under the 500 dollar cost od that adapter
                      77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

Working...
                      X