X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sambo
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Sep 25, 2001

lost the rings me thinks! smoking real good off left bank...possible culprit #1 cyl.
    i also have an oil leak near #1 on the exhaust mani now,that i just noticed after getting home...

i friend gave me a 350 to build,and a kid i work with said he can get me a 700r4 cheap enough
    77 chero DEAD.
    84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• Lindel
      Perfesser of Jeepology
      • Jun 15, 2000

Sam, I'd go the 350/700R4 route myself. Your D300 will bolt willingly enough to it (you'll need another adapter obviously) but I think you'll be happier in the long run.
      Jeep Grounds
      RRV Homepage
      Texas Full Size Jeep Association
      1987 Grand Wagoneer
      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
      1999 Wrangler Sport
      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• TexTJ209
        360 AMC
        • Oct 06, 2005

Originally posted by AlsChopShop
        don't mean to pick a fight, but are you guys serious? not many here have hit 200k on their AMC's without digging into them. 150k is nothing IMO for a motor to blow through.

I don't think thats necessarily an engine fault so much as FSJs usually don't make it to 200k as a whole vehicle.
        '10 Chevy Silverado 5.3L - The DD.
        '81 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo
        '73 Jeep J2000 - On the perpetual backburner.
        Texas A&M Offroad

Comment

I don't know if you rebuilt the last one or not but sometimes it's the mechanic. Not trying to start anything but sometimes even the best of us mess up.

I flog the crap outta my 360 and it's still holding strong. I don't know, maybe you have bad luck.
          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
          Originally posted by johnny019
          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
            304 AMC
            • Feb 02, 2006

Probably broke the ring lands off the top of the piston. (which is detonation) Or collapsed/broke a skirt. (which is overheating or detonation)

Not the name on the valve cover.

I daily drive 2 different 180,000 mile late grand waggies with the 360.

I have had good and bad luck with just about every domestic V8.

If I ever decide that I REALLY need big cubic inches, I will PROBABLY do a 505 inch Ford 460. Not because I like them. Because it bolts straight to my NP435. There are success stories and horror stories for every engine on the road.

peace
            Dave
            There is no way to rule innocent men.
            The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
            Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
            One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• jeepjerry
              304 AMC
              • Oct 12, 2008

Dont get me wrong, sbc 350's are a darn good engine, if someone tries to tell me that 350s are junk i'll say they are foolish, but ive found that the 360 amc seems to run stronger than similar built 350s. I feel that the worst thing you can do to an amc is put a chevy motor in it. The fsj's are unique and amc power makes them even more cooler. A chevy powered amc fsj is just another chevy powered rig.

Youve probably got something stupid going on inside there. I dont think you should give up on the AMC. They are good engines, it just depends on how they are built to get durability. Ive seen lots of 350s fail also.

I dont see how anyone wants to get high mileage out of their old fsj's these days anyway. Thats why my DD is a chevy cobalt.
              Last edited by jeepjerry; 01-30-2009, 09:06 AM.
              1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
              1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
              1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
              Kenosha, WI 53142
              http://www.alfanoperformance.com
              For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

• Lindel
                Perfesser of Jeepology
                • Jun 15, 2000

I'm just sayin, he's got the engine, and if he can get the 700R4 then all the better. Easy way to add an extra gear, better low gear and cheaper engine parts.
                Jeep Grounds
                RRV Homepage
                1987 Grand Wagoneer
                AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                1999 Wrangler Sport
                4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Comment

traitor
                  Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                  I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                  Originally posted by johnny019
                  I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• thomastenn
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 30, 2008

about any engine properly built fixing factory design flaws and limitations can be powerful and reliable some take more to build then others. i would compare the cost of building both engines then youll have to include the cost of all the conversion parts needed if you go with the chevy. just balance,blueprint it, and use quality parts and you can get a very long life from whichever you choose
                    looking to initiate project j715

Comment

• Lindel
                      Perfesser of Jeepology
                      • Jun 15, 2000

Originally posted by orangecherokee

"traitor"
                      How so? All of us have a Jeep full of GM parts, what's one or two more?

I never said AMC or GM is better one way or the other, engine wise. I simply said use what you have, and maybe get some more/better gearing in the bargain.

Sam's jeep isn't stock (from your avatar, your's isn't either) so I don't see how that can play into it.

Ultimately, it's Sam's choice.
                      Last edited by Lindel; 01-30-2009, 01:12 PM.
                      Jeep Grounds
                      RRV Homepage
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer
                      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                      1999 Wrangler Sport
                      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

Comment

• Sambo
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Sep 25, 2001

I don't know, maybe you have bad luck.
                        yep thats what i think! these motors all had recent builds before i got em,so not knowing milage or how they were built i had no clue.except this last one seemed pretty strong till now
                        77 chero DEAD.
                        84wag,360,tf727,???! possiblities are d300 flipped and a ford d44 hp with coils

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                          350 Buick
                          • May 25, 2005

traitor
                          X2
                          77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                            350 Buick
                            • May 25, 2005

Although I do see lindels point. My drivetrain is ford with chevy calipers and amc engine. Would I drop a cheby or ford engine in it? No. I feel like I would have betrayed my jeep, the engine is the life of it. I don't care how cheap/better a chevy or ford would be, but that's just me and I hate that he has had two amc's lay down on him, it wouldn't make me second guess the engine but second guess myself if I built it or whoever else built it
                            77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

Originally posted by Sambo
                              yep thats what i think! these motors all had recent builds before i got em,so not knowing milage or how they were built i had no clue.except this last one seemed pretty strong till now
                              I told ya what to do two years ago...................YA BIG DOPE!!!!
                              Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                              Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• jeepjerry
                                304 AMC
                                • Oct 12, 2008

Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                                Although I do see lindels point. My drivetrain is ford with chevy calipers and amc engine. Would I drop a cheby or ford engine in it? No. I feel like I would have betrayed my jeep, the engine is the life of it. I don't care how cheap/better a chevy or ford would be, but that's just me and I hate that he has had two amc's lay down on him, it wouldn't make me second guess the engine but second guess myself if I built it or whoever else built it
                                x2

Its like changing blood type or something like that. I wouldnt want someone to transplant the organs of a rhino into me....
                                1977 J-20, 4bbl AMC 360/t-18,33"s.
                                1976 CJ-5, Healthy AMC 360/t-18, 6" lift, 35"s.
                                1972 Javelin SST, mild AMC 360. Under cunstruction.

AMC ya!!

Alfano Performance
                                Kenosha, WI 53142
                                http://www.alfanoperformance.com
                                For your AMC performance parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X