• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgmann
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2007

Taigate - door locks - fusible link question

Recently had some work done on my 88GW. When I got it back the rear window wouldn't work using the key and the door locks don't work. The rear window works from the dash.

I know that those 2 items are on the same circuit and are controlled by a 30 amp breaker. I checked the breaker using an ohm meter and it seems fine.

Some posts have mentioned a fusible link that comes before the breaker. Where is that link located and how can I identify it?

Thanks..........
  • ShagWagon
    350 Buick
    • Apr 10, 2016

I would look to the driver panel switches and door lock actuators for corrosion and the tailgate key switch in the tailgate for corrosion.

What did they do?
    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• mgmann
      232 I6
      • Jun 12, 2007

What they did

Had the rig painted, new vinyl, etc. I couldn't get the rail off of the tailgate window so bought a new rail and took it to a glass place to have it installed along with a new windshield. It was all working fine when I took it to them. I get the feeling that they shorted something out when they put in the tailgate window. I had replaced the tailgate key switch a few years ago and made sure nothing was shorting out inside the tailgate, so who know what they did to mess it up.

I'm not getting any voltage reading at the breaker which is why I'm thinking that a fusible link may have gone out although that doesn't make much sense either since the breaker seems ok.

Guess I'll take the window out and see what I can find. What a pain in the butt.

Comment

• ShagWagon
        350 Buick
        • Apr 10, 2016

I would say its good if your getting power to it from the front switch.Id ask the installer to fix it if they caused it if possible.

I wouldnt think its a fused link.

If your good enough to take apart the switches at the door and the front switch, and clean them I bet things will work better. Take them apart inside a box or something so you don’t lose any small parts or springs.

Check the passenger side door lock switch to see if it works. Might provide a clue.

GL!
        87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• cherokee83
          258 I6
          • Oct 12, 2006

Originally posted by mgmann
          Recently had some work done on my 88GW. When I got it back the rear window wouldn't work using the key and the door locks don't work. The rear window works from the dash.

I know that those 2 items are on the same circuit and are controlled by a 30 amp breaker. I checked the breaker using an ohm meter and it seems fine.

Some posts have mentioned a fusible link that comes before the breaker. Where is that link located and how can I identify it?

Thanks..........
          1st. does tailgate motor work 2nd. look between tailgate and body, make sure tailgate wire harness isn't pinched or broken wires fro tailgate harness 3rd. motor plugged up, something isn't plugged up

Comment

• tgreese
            • May 29, 2003

The '88 diagram shows 4 fusible links:http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/88/88_FSJ_...agramPage1.jpg

They are all right at the starter solenoid.

I would find the tailgate relay on these sheets http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html and follow it backwards to see if it's powered by one of the fusible links. Likely. Fusible links go open when shorted, and the insulation sometimes stays in place. Test for continuity with your multimeter.
            Tim Reese
            Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
            Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
            Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
            GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
            ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

Working...
            X