How far can we extend our front Quadratrack Drive shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

How far can we extend our front Quadratrack Drive shafts?

I am putting the final touches on my Front Shackle Reversal but my driveshaft seems to be too short when I am at full droop. I have stock springs but the reversal kit lifts the truck about 2.5" and moves the axle forward about an inch according to RockLaurence (which seems about right so far).

I guess my question looks like this: When I extend my driveshaft, it seems to slide smoothly then stop. Is this stop a hard stop or is it maybe just contamination on the splines inside the shaft because it has never been extended this much? In order to position my axle correctly I had remove my driveshaft from the yoke. I have my axle in now but I cannot extend my shaft enough to meet the yoke (at full droop). I am not sure if I should just yank on the driveshaft and see if I can get a couple more inches out of it or should I remove it and go have a new one made (really don't want to...).
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • Mikel
    • Aug 09, 2000

I would try to have a spline engagement at least 1.5 times the diameter of the splines.
    1969 M715 6x6
    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

Should I be able to just pull it apart? I have no idea how much spline engagement I have...
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

Your going to need to have your driveshaft rebuilt with long spline shaft when converting to a shackle reversal system. if you don;t and the shaft comes apart you will punch that transfercase out the back

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

sigh. That's what I thought.

Do you have an extra one from the rig you parting out by any chance, Wiley-Moe?
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J20 project
            304 AMC
            • Dec 27, 2000

shaft

You are running the back of your spline section into the interior of the seal section, hence,,,,no more extension.

Being a 1.25 in shaft you are somewhat limited in options...however, a long travel 1.375X16 spline is available for the 1.25in shaft. Coupled w/ a new long travel slip yoke...and those items installed into your shaft....bingo. Good to go.

Couple other things to think about. Your shaft needs to be dis assembled, double cardan section rebuilt, spline installed and then have the entire shaft balanced in the process. Especially true that the balance be good due to you running the Qtrack case.

I built a long travel 1.25 X .188 wall shaft for a buggy the other day...beefy for a small shaft.

I can do this work, any competent d shaft shop can do this work, Tom Woods can do it. Just a matter of who you want to spend your money with..

Good luck,
            J20 project
            BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
            775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by J20 project
              Being a 1.25 in shaft you are somewhat limited in options...however, a long travel 1.375X16 spline is available for the 1.25in shaft. Coupled w/ a new long travel slip yoke...and those items installed into your shaft....bingo. Good to go.

Couple other things to think about. Your shaft needs to be dis assembled, double cardan section rebuilt, spline installed and then have the entire shaft balanced in the process. Especially true that the balance be good due to you running the Qtrack case.
              OK, copy that. I have a spare front QTrack driveshaft in my garage. How much should I expect to pay a shop to: dis assemble, rebuild the double cardan section, install the long travel slip yoke/spline and then balance the shaft?

I don't know if I am looking at $100 or $700. Google told me there are quite a few shops around me but I don't know how to speak "driveshaft" enough so I only order what I need and don't get talked into something I don't. Are there steps I can do myself to save some $$ or parts I can buy that may be cheaper for me?
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• bkilby
                350 Buick
                • Jan 10, 2016

I'll send you an email later rang. I have a couple of DS contacts that will help.
                1974 Cherokee S. It's driving but needs more work. As usual!

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 15, 2010

expect around 500 plus for a shaft upgrade, last one I did for the race truck was 575 for long splines, high angle joints, good u-joints. That was a lot of years ago though.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Hey J20 project, trying to send you another PM but it says your inbox is full...
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• J20 project
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 27, 2000

cleaned some out...didn't realize

J20
                      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

Working...
                      X