Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanHS
    • Aug 29, 2004

My plan is to make my own Y-pipe arrangement and use flexible exhaust joints. Even though the Y-pipe will be hanging from the transmission bracket like it should be, so that it moves along with the engine, this will ensure there are no stresses in the pipes, and it will also make installation easier since there's some flex to the pipes.
    '84 Grand Wagoneer 360/727/229, 32" General ST's and 36" Swampers, 3" lift, TFI/Mallory 6AL, CS 144, Taurus fan, custom bumper, and custom 'bodywork'. Soon to have 6" lift

'79 Cherokee S 360/T15/D20, rusting away while I figure out what to do with it

'91 Final Edition GW in Spinnaker Blue!

My FSJ pics

FSJ Grille Identification

Comment

• Banchee
      232 I6
      • Mar 20, 2009

Originally posted by DanHS
      My plan is to make my own Y-pipe arrangement and use flexible exhaust joints. Even though the Y-pipe will be hanging from the transmission bracket like it should be, so that it moves along with the engine, this will ensure there are no stresses in the pipes, and it will also make installation easier since there's some flex to the pipes.
      There ya go! Sounds like a good plan!

The OE style donut gasket on the collector of the shorty headers allows for a bit of misalignment as well as flexability, which will also help make the installation easier and will further reduce stress on the collectors of the headers.

Dennis
      Last edited by Banchee; 02-28-2014, 05:55 PM.
      91 XJ Cherokee Limited
      99 Dodge Ram V10 4X4 (This thing will pull a house, but won't pass a gas station)
      2010 Grand Cherokee (Hemi)
      2014 Dodge Avenger SRT6 Blacktop

Comment

• Ristow
        • Jan 20, 2006

the dual exhaust on my j20 has one hanger for each pipe,back behind the muffler. the hookers don't mind a bit. 25K+ miles that way.
        Originally posted by Hankrod
        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Banchee
          232 I6
          • Mar 20, 2009

Originally posted by Ristow
          the dual exhaust on my j20 has one hanger for each pipe,back behind the muffler. the hookers don't mind a bit. 25K+ miles that way.
          So 25K miles is supposed to be good or something??

I had a set of Doug Thorleys on my 77 J20 tow rig for well over 50-60K miles (the exhaust system was properly supported) and I never had any problems. I also know people who have logged over 50K on there Jeeps (some rock crawlers) running the Edelbrock shorty headers that have had no problems either, so what's your point?

The last (and I mean last) set of Hooker headers I bought I couldn't even get bolted to the engine because one of the primary tubes hit the right side inner wheel well sheet metal. Yeah, real quality stuff!!!!
          Keep knitting!
          Last edited by Banchee; 03-03-2014, 02:50 PM.
          91 XJ Cherokee Limited
          99 Dodge Ram V10 4X4 (This thing will pull a house, but won't pass a gas station)

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

my point is i didn't have to add supports to my exhaust,due to my hooker (any brand) headers. i have fewer supports.

my hedman equipped vehicles are't exactly overladen with hangers either.

didn't mean to get yer underwear knotted up......you work for edelbrock or something?

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Just say no to crack
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Banchee
                232 I6
                • Mar 20, 2009

didn't mean to get yer underwear knotted up......you work for edelbrock or something?
                LOL, no worries It takes a lot more than someone like you to rattle my cage. As my dad use to say, "sometimes you just need to consider the source". So I do!

Yes, I do work for Edelbrock, but oh that's right you have known that for years. I didn't start this thread to promote Edelbrock in any way now did I Ristow? So again, what is your point??

So back to the subject:
                I started this thread to inform Jeep people about a new header that is now being manufactured by Pertronics. They saw there was a demand for a shorty header because people are still looking for the Edelbrock shorty headers long after they were discontinued, so Pertronics stepped up with their own. Buy them or don't it doesn't really matter to me, I was just passing along some information to those who are interested.
                91 XJ Cherokee Limited

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

yep

I can tell you from experience those collectors are exactly like the Edelbrock & Both of mine split. Unless they are thicker they won't last long. There is no seat of the pants difference than stock manifolds which I had both before & after them. There may be a slight dyno difference but it's minimal. Mine was properly supported period. More support can be worse. I wasn't easy on mine but they shouldn't have been that fragile on an SUV.

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

sheesh...i said nothing against edelbrock...well,in this thread.

merely disagreed with the statement that was used to justify the cracking of these "direct bolt on replacement" (your words) headers. what were these going for? +300.00 range?

that ain't chump change.

those headers earned the reputation they have.

btw...i agree with serehill. a rigid exhaust will crack them faster than a loose one. must be why my horrible junk 225.00$ hookers are fine after +25 thousand miles with their single hung dual exhaust i built.
                    Last edited by Ristow; 03-04-2014, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• Banchee
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 20, 2009

btw...i agree with serehill. a rigid exhaust will crack them faster than a loose one.
                      Who said the exhaust needs to be rigid, not me. I just said it needed to be "properly supported". Big difference! And probably a waste of time to try to explain it to you.

I do want to thank you for keeping this thread near the top, but your weak attemp at a pissing match has become very boring and repetitious. It's no wonder companies are reluctant to build new products for the AMC V8!

This has been fun, but I have more constructive things to do with my time.
                      See ya!
                      91 XJ Cherokee Limited

Comment

• Gurinski
                        258 I6
                        • Mar 14, 2010

Companies dont make parts for Amc's because there isnt a big demand like there is for the big three.
                        1991 GW TFI GM-icm 360 727 np229

Comment

• Ristow
                          • Jan 20, 2006

pfff.....edelbrock guys.....they get their "shorties" all wadded up so easily....

it kinda "cracks" me up....

Comment

• addicted
                            Big Meanie
                            • Dec 11, 2004

i bet it was Simon....
                            he's such big meanie that way...
                            please don't tell him i said that....

Comment

• vacaisle
                              snide. snarky. grease covered.
                              • Mar 18, 2013

This thread has gotten pretty fun.
                              89 Grand Wagoneer
                              145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
                                Banned
                                • Mar 01, 2009

Hey, been on enforced-forum-vacation for three weeks. I love how this topic is so mellow without my aggravating presence.

Here is the link to the dyno tests done on ported stock manifolds versus Hedmans versus Edelbrock Shorties.

We have just completed a ABC comparison with ported Free Flow manifolds, Edelbrock Shotry headers #65873 and 1 5/8" long tube Hedmand Headers. The mill is a street 401 with dual quad 500 cfm Edelbrock carbs. on a Offy intake. It has '70 heads and the compression ratio is 10.2:1. Minimal porting was done, just smoothed out

Enjoy.

Note: There are some red headers shown in the topic. not sure what they are.
                                The Hedmans - mine are from 1994-1996 have dogleg ports but they are small and do not match the full head-port opening. They are also 1.625" diameter runners. long-tube to 3", flanged collectors. If SC397's hedmans were the same as mine, its amazing they make power. Maybe port-matching isn't that big a deal?

I recently read that for decent performance a header runner should be 10-20% larger than the exhaust valve diameter. On AMC 360s and 401s thats a EV diameter of1.68". So 2" runners wouldn't be a terrible thing, apparently? Some people disagree.

Maybe I'll have to finish my 2" 4-1 headers with 3.5" ball-socket collectors I've been building for 8+ years and find out.

And I have ported stock exost manifolds...1973-79...and they do seem to breath better. I just pulled them off to replace them with re-furbished Thorley- Tri-Y crack-prone headers and am redesigning the dual 2.5" exost on the green truck in my avatar. Getting close to having it done. Will post pics when the truck is drivable again.
                                Last edited by Tinkerjeep; 03-19-2014, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X