Anybody upgraded the exhaust for their 327?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

Anybody upgraded the exhaust for their 327?

I need to run new exhaust in my truck and I'm looking at one of the do-it-yourself kits from Summit. I want to run duals to a 2 in/2 out single muffler (thinking this would save on space). I'm wondering whether to go with 2.25 or 2.5? I should think that 2.25 duals would be fine for the low revving 327, but 2.5 might wake it up a bit. I'll be running a Rambler 4barrel intake and Holley TA470. Any thoughts?
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

I recommend finding a Rambler left hand exhaust manifold to get rid of the front crossover pipe. Jeep used the right side manifold on the left to avoid a tight spot around the clutch linkage. Even 2" pipes will wake the 327 up compared to the stock exhaust design.
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 44BZ
      304 AMC
      • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
      I recommend finding a Rambler left hand exhaust manifold to get rid of the front crossover pipe. Jeep used the right side manifold on the left to avoid a tight spot around the clutch linkage. Even 2" pipes will wake the 327 up compared to the stock exhaust design.
      I've wanted to get my hands on a Rambler manifold for the same reason. Haven't found one yet. I mentioned this in another thread a long time ago and was warned that it likely would not clear the clutch linkage. I'm still lookin for a manifold I can try out though. Thanks for the input
      Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• hummer010
        232 I6
        • Jul 26, 2007

I've got the Rambler manifold, but I haven't got to the exhaust stage of things. It definitely looks tight though. It should be do-able.
        68 j3000 327/T18/D20 Work in Progress

Comment

• 44BZ
          304 AMC
          • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by hummer010
          I've got the Rambler manifold, but I haven't got to the exhaust stage of things. It definitely looks tight though. It should be do-able.
          Are you planning to run the Rambler manifold? I jumped on ebay this morning found only one listed with a buy now price $70+, which seems high for a "might work" scenario in my case. I'd like to make the switch, I think I would be much happier with it than running the pipe in front of the motor again.

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Interested in what you find out. I'd love to run twin straight pipes out the rear of the engine Maybe toss in some sorta muffler, loud pipes DO get annoying, trust me.
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• 44BZ
              304 AMC
              • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Gambler68
              Interested in what you find out. I'd love to run twin straight pipes out the rear of the engine Maybe toss in some sorta muffler, loud pipes DO get annoying, trust me.
              My exhaust was full of holes and ran thru dual cherry bombs; rendered in-cab conversation or a stero pretty much useless I will definitely jump on a Rambler manifold if one pops up that I can afford. I have a little time to look as the motor still has to go in...

Comment

• FSJunkie
                The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                • Jan 09, 2011

The exhaust manifolds only have a 2" outlet, so no matter what exhaust you oput on it, the manifold will probably be the restriction.

I see no reason for anything more than 2" pipe for duals. My 327 has 2.5" duals and it's overkill.

I wouldn't recommend a crossover pipe, the one in the intake manifold will suffice and you need some exhaust traveling through the intake to operate your choke.
                '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Ristow
                  • Jan 20, 2006

Originally posted by FSJunkie
                  I wouldn't recommend a crossover pipe, the one in the intake manifold will suffice and you need some exhaust traveling through the intake to operate your choke.

Originally posted by Hankrod
                  Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                  I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• hummer010
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 26, 2007

Originally posted by 44BZ
                    Are you planning to run the Rambler manifold? I jumped on ebay this morning found only one listed with a buy now price $70+, which seems high for a "might work" scenario in my case. I'd like to make the switch, I think I would be much happier with it than running the pipe in front of the motor again.
                    I am planning to. I've had it on the truck, but with no exhaust behind it. I've kind of eyeballed the route, and I think it should be do-able.

I'll tell you what, it's very, very loud with just the manifolds.
                    68 j3000 327/T18/D20 Work in Progress

Comment

• 44BZ
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 10, 2009

Rambler left side manifold

Well, i made an offer of $25 on the manifold I found on ebay and it was accepted Never hurts to ask I guess. I'm excited to try this out

Comment

Working...
                      X