• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sitting Bull
    360 AMC
    • Sep 18, 2000

Advanced Steering column tech - wiring

If there is one thing I've learned along the way, it's respect your elders. Which is why I'm bringing this question up...it's been suggested to me that using a late 80's steering column on a 70's model Jeep may not be the best idea because the wiring harness will not line up. He is more than likely right, but on the other hand, I don't know if this has been tried before...

I got a few partial steering columns, but the only complete column I have is from an 89. The biggest difference between the two is the headlights and wiper switch are integrated into the steering column on the 89. On the 79 harness, these switches are at the dash.

After some frustration of trying to steal certain parts from certain columns to make one complete unit, I got looking at the wiring a little closer. The following picturers compare the 79 unit to the 89 unit...

Looking at the main connection of the 89. All of the wires going into this connection are the same color as the 79, only two more green wires are added, does anybody know what these wires are?

89 harness connector

Next is the 79 connector, notice it's the same bracket with the same wires. The white wire that is missing from the left is there, it's just been cut.

Next is the switch on the 89 column, I think this is called the IGNITION SWITCH...

Now the ignition switch from the 79...looks like the exact same switch - just a different color...

This is a switch on the 79 column. It's not on the 89, but there is a place for it - it looks like it could be easily swapped...what is this switch called and what does it do???

I beleive this 4 wires from the 79 column are only for the cruise? If so, I don't care about them (not planning on cruise)...

These wires are on the 89 column, are they for the cruise? If so, I can just cut them off...

The last question is a black wire from the 89 column, what does this go to???

In any of y'all can give me some suggestions/answers/ideas - I'd like to see if y'all think I'm crazy. I realize there will be some custom wiring for the headlights and wipers, but I think the bulk of the column will just bolt right in. In other words, I could hook it up and drive, and figure out the wipers and headlight later. Thoughts???
    Brad Reardon<br />1977ish Cherokee Chief.

Yes the plug will plug in and most things will function with the exception of the wipers and headlights. The switch that you are asking about that is on the 79 Column but not on the 89 column is the Neutral Safety switch combined with reverse lights.
    Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
    Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

• JeepinPete
      304 AMC
      • Dec 09, 2003

The second to last picture shows the multifunction switch connector. I am 75% certain that the last picture shows the CC connector. I do believe you could hook it up and it would work fine.
      Pete

'55 Willys Wagon, the original FSJ
      Sitting on a '77 Cherokee frame, Dodge D60's
      Isuzu 6BD1, NV4500, NP241

Comment

• Sitting Bull
        360 AMC
        • Sep 18, 2000

Originally posted by Crazy_Jeepman
        Yes the plug will plug in and most things will function with the exception of the wipers and headlights. The switch that you are asking about that is on the 79 Column but not on the 89 column is the Neutral Safety switch combined with reverse lights.

For some reason, I always thought the neutral safety switch was on the tranny. This is a part that has actually never broken down on me - oh goodness I shouldn't have said that!!! Thanks Pete!

This is good news also for the guy that bought my old body because he got the old steering column as well. That means his NSS probly works, and he doesn't even know it.

Multifunction switch, what are the multi-functions? Just cruise on this bad boy? Anybody know what the green wires are for in the first picture?

Comment

• Sitting Bull
          360 AMC
          • Sep 18, 2000

BTT - somebody knows where the wires on the last two pictures go...

Comment

• pb
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2003

The last pic looks like the cruise control wires.
            Paul
            1975 Wagoneer DD
            360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• Boghog1
              258 I6
              • Apr 16, 2004

The last pic would be associated with GMs anti theft device (VATS)or Cruise control/Multi switch most likely since Jeep didn't use Pass key technology as far as I know it is most likely the multi switch, been a while since I played in the steering colomn, the one you identified as a cruise control connector is for aftermarket cruise control. I installed a ton of those.This will help with the 89 colomn

edited for correct passkey system and link
              Last edited by Boghog1; 05-04-2006, 12:40 PM.
              79 Cheif WT 360/TH400/1339
              83 Pioneer 4dr 258/???/???
              88 Cherokee XJ with OME lift TJ flares 33s
              98 Grand Cherokee 2.5" lift and 31s
              99 Cherokee XJ bone stock

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                360 AMC
                • Sep 18, 2000

Sorry I'm being a little dense here, just trying to clear the fog...

What is a multi-function switch? How can one wire have multi-functions?

Comment

• Boghog1
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 16, 2004

Originally posted by Sitting Bull
                  Sorry I'm being a little dense here, just trying to clear the fog...

What is a multi-function switch? How can one wire have multi-functions?
                  That one wire is actually 4 little wires, it is usually the pigtale that comes off of the cruise control switch/Highbeam arm/directional arm/ oh wait I think that is all it does.
                  Last edited by Boghog1; 05-04-2006, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• backpack09
                    327 Rambler
                    • Nov 09, 2005

Last picture is definately cruise.
                    Dan G
                    91 GrandWag
                    MSD Mag Dizzy, MSD 6A

Comment

• Boghog1
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 16, 2004

This is what the last picture is

It's a little small, it is the long lever on the left side of the colum that controls highbeam/directional and cruise on GM cars

the other 4 wire connecter that you labeled as cruise is correct too, the second to the last picture is wiper control (may have some other function in there as well

Comment

• Sitting Bull
                        360 AMC
                        • Sep 18, 2000

Thanks for the help, especially Boghog - looks like you know your steering columns!!! I'll be wiring this bad boy in the next two weeks or so, and may ask for some more assistance!

Comment

Originally posted by Sitting Bull
                          For some reason, I always thought the neutral safety switch was on the tranny.
                          79 and down....... TH400 Neutral Safety is on the column. 80 and up it is in the trans
                          Daily Driver 2008 Wrangler Sahara
                          Going, Gone, or Thinking Fishing

Comment

Working...
                          X