• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

Seat swap question

Looks like I am going to be keeping my 74' Cherokee since it didn't sell so

I have to ABSOLUTELY get some seats that are comfortable if I am going to be driving it.

Would love to put Grand Wagoneer leather seats in but the passenger side has to pivot forward to allow back seat usage.

So, anyone know of any nice seats that will work and still fold forward?
  • ZackN920
    350 Buick
    • Nov 18, 2015

What's it got in it now? Bench? Buckets? Could GW seats be bolted to the bracketry and work as you want?

If you were around me...hmm. I wouldve been very tempted to buy your Cherokee. I'm surprised there was no interest!
    1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
    Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
    ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• SkylinePCG
      258 I6
      • Jan 11, 2005

couldn’t be that hard to adapt the Cherokee seat frame to a GW seat/cover? Or you could have your original seats redone with GW-like leather and corduroy.
      1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
      Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
        304 AMC
        • May 01, 2004

I, personally would not call the wagoneer seats "comfortable". I am swapping mine out because I find them quite uncomfortable. The back doesn't adjust relative to the base, there is no support in the center/lower back and little in the back of the base.

I have a set of '09 GC Overland seats that I hope to put in, if I ever get around to figuring out the mounting. The passenger side is rather complex based on the floorpan shape.
        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
        http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
        95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
        50 CJ3A
        77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

I read somewhere that PT Cruiser seats bolt in... I have seen some nice ones at our wrecking yards so I would assume you have better ones in your dry AZ wrecking yards.

If you search the forum you can probably find a thread that confirms/refutes this, though. I wouldn't take rang-a-stangs word, alone on it and go buy PT Cruiser seats without checking...
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
            350 Buick
            • Feb 15, 2010

Our sun/heat kills the seats, better to find in cali.

Comment

• mwood65
              258 I6
              • Jul 17, 2017

Thanks all....

I have read Durango seats fit, along with Explorer seats...

I guess any that are the basic dimensions that "fit" can be made to work with the bases with a little work, welding and ingenuity.

Comment

• brielly
                350 Buick
                • Dec 30, 2002

I used explorer seats from the late 90's, easy swap and pretty comfortable.
                For Sale Custom built reproduction Rhino Grilles http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...24#post1676924PM me for details or email [email protected]

1982 Cherokee Chief 258 6 cyl, AX-15, NP208, mopar mpfi, hydroboost brakes.

1983 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 258 6cyl*SOLD*

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                  304 AMC
                  • Jul 25, 2016

MID 90S DODGE DAKOTA SEATS WORK WELL
                  I am doing the swap now in a J-10 with 1997 Dakota seats...

two other members on this forum have done it too,...

search this title for the thread on this forum
                  hopefully it will get you to the photos and description:

Dodge Dakota Extended Cab Seat Installation

dave in NC
                  SOLSAKS - dave
                  1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                  1982 J-10 Fleetside
                  1988 grand wagoneer
                  2004 RUBICON jeep
                  Benson, NC

Comment

• cu4whln
                    304 AMC
                    • May 16, 2008

I am putting TJ seats in mine.. [2001 TJ]

The pass side is the problem.. dam wide tunnel !

So, I am using the TJ tracs, but cut down 3"... this gets you at the stock ride height for the seating position. Make sure to maintain the seat cusion angle when doing this. Also, a "Tip-N-Slide" unit would not work well due to the pivot mechanisim is in the area that needs to be cut off.

So, I am using manual driver tracs on BOTH sides..... the seat backs tip forward, and the pass seat has a nice pull tab on the front leading edge of the seat back. This lets you pull the seat foward.. there is a button on the lower seat backs as well - if you are in the back seat.

Now, the tracs are offset.... kinda like our FSJs.. but the pass side should really be inboard a bit.... if not, the armrest is too close to the seat and uncomfortable.

So out comes the hammer... I flattened the floor at the front of the tunnel area to let the trac sit in farther. The mounting holes do not line up. I will be welding a flat pc on the bottom of the trac to reach the holes.

Driver side is really no problem. Will have to adapt the mouting holes to the TJ track.

Now, the pass side has a cable that used to "trip" the Tip-N-Slide TJ trac. I think I can make a bracket that will pull the manual trac to the release position. The cable is tied to the seat back.. when it tips foward, it pulls the cable.

So what you ask ? Well, if I can get that to release the trac, I have a seat trac that will release when I tip the pass seat foward to get in the back.. How cool is that !

Not easy, but I find the early TJ seats comfortable.
                    It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                    1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                    1972 J4000
                    1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                    2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                    2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• kansasboy001
                      232 I6
                      • Nov 06, 2016

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                      I read somewhere that PT Cruiser seats bolt in... I have seen some nice ones at our wrecking yards so I would assume you have better ones in your dry AZ wrecking yards.

If you search the forum you can probably find a thread that confirms/refutes this, though. I wouldn't take rang-a-stangs word, alone on it and go buy PT Cruiser seats without checking...

2001-2005 pt cruiser seats are a bolt in sliders and all. The rear threaded hole on the seat sliders lines up perfectly with our brackets and there's holes in the front of the sliders in the right spot so you just need a bolt and nut. There are very nice seats in some of them and the seats in the convertibles tilt forward and are perfect for cherokee or trucks. Only modification required is to trim or remove the plastic trim on the sides of the seats as it interfere with the tranny hump
                      1983 Cherokee Laredo. 360/ 727/ np228/ Junkyard 7427 TBI/ Msd ignition

Comment

• Cliff
                        350 Buick
                        • Mar 30, 2002

I replaced my factory buckets with high back buckets from a 95 Blazer. I was able to mount these seats on the factory base just by fashioning a 2" extension - in other words the Blazer seats mounts were about 1" longer front to rear, no difference side to side. Basic seat size is about the same, ran into no issues with the console and seat belts. Very comfortable, high back neck protection in a crash, and much more adjustable. And they tilt forward for back seat access (they came from a 2-door).
                        Cliff Danley
                        1977 Cherokee S

Comment

• mwood65
                          258 I6
                          • Jul 17, 2017

Thanks for all the idea's. Since many will work I guess it all comes down to what I can find for what price & which ones fit my fat butt the best!

Comment

• uberhahn
                            232 I6
                            • Dec 14, 2003

I found a pair of Grand Cherokee seats ('99 I think). The stock mounts were trashed. Way too much slop. So I ended up using my welder and some angle to fashion a base for both driver and passenger. It was a pain mainly because it was something new for me.

Now that they're in and wired, super comfortable. You may want to look for seats from a 2door cherokee as those tilt forward.

Here is a link to my poorly edited youtube channel that shows some of my trials and tribulations.

if you go through the "seat swap" play list you'll see the process.

if I could do it again, I would. I'd just do a better job of planning.

How I do things. Not always the easy way. Not always the best way. But my way. And, usually, 60% of the time it works 80% of the time... Experiences, mistakes, victories, defeats...

Originally posted by mwood65
                            Looks like I am going to be keeping my 74' Cherokee since it didn't sell so

I have to ABSOLUTELY get some seats that are comfortable if I am going to be driving it.

Would love to put Grand Wagoneer leather seats in but the passenger side has to pivot forward to allow back seat usage.

So, anyone know of any nice seats that will work and still fold forward?
                            It followed me home, honest...
                            Newly acquired 1986 GW. 4? (I think Rusty?s lift).
                            Needs interior work. Smells like a refinery on the outside. Relatively rust free.

Comment

• mwood65
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 17, 2017

Originally posted by uberhahn
                              I found a pair of Grand Cherokee seats ('99 I think). The stock mounts were trashed. Way too much slop. So I ended up using my welder and some angle to fashion a base for both driver and passenger. It was a pain mainly because it was something new for me.

Now that they're in and wired, super comfortable. You may want to look for seats from a 2door cherokee as those tilt forward.

Here is a link to my poorly edited youtube channel that shows some of my trials and tribulations.

if you go through the "seat swap" play list you'll see the process.

if I could do it again, I would. I'd just do a better job of planning.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7w..._as=subscriber

Thanks, I will check out the video in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X