X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wagoneer Taylor
    258 I6
    • Dec 17, 2018

This is a picture from when I was about half way done, but the valves are cleaned and all lapped. Which for any of you who have lapped your own valves, you know how time consuming and boring that is! Remind me to not do that again I even had a drill attachment tool for doing it and it was still painful. After that and the paint which I love, these are ready for reassembly! Then they sit until the block goes back together.
    [IMG]IMG-2325 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG-2326 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG-2402 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG-2404 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Some call me Taylor...

1977 Jeep Wagoneer (Wedding Wagon)
    Pewter, Blue Interior, Original 401
    PO swapped in a 360, soon to be a 401 again!
    "Soon" is a relative term.
    Cracked cylinder put a hurt on me + bad connecting rods.

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
      258 I6
      • Dec 17, 2018

Last post from this weekend! This is just a beauty shot from after camping, the wife and I with our two dogs went to South Beach, near/in Newport OR and camped the weekend. Wedding Wagon made the 100 mile there and 100 mile back trip with no issues had a lovely time and cant wait to use this thing even more when we get the rest of the rig done (401 in, rust repair, full under carriage go through, paint, interior, and etc, etc, etc...) but are enjoying the heck out of our Wagon until we get there!
      [IMG]92DCCCC4-213E-4A51-9F45-9B9EDFDB77D4 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
      Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
        232 I6
        • Nov 08, 2016

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
        No Way!! Where were you? I didnt know there was another FSJer so close.
        I live just south of Salem, you don’t see many wagoneers out there! It’s going to be sweet to see that 401 in it!
        1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
        1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
        1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
        1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
          360 AMC
          • Oct 02, 2002

That clean up work is looking great. It should run strong and pull hard.
          Be sure to run high zinc and phos (ZDDP) oil for your cam to live a good long time. If you run a CAT equipped exhaust system, never mind. ZDDP kills cats and that is why they reduced it to near nothing in the 80's.
          Again looking super!
          Melford1972 says...
          I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
          -----------------------
          I make wag parts
          1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
          1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
          1968 M715 restomod
          2001 Dodge 3500
          2002 Toyota Tundra
          2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
          Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
            258 I6
            • Dec 17, 2018

Hey all, don't have pictures but the heads are put back together. Valves, springs and seals. Ready to be put on the engine when i get that far.

Now to the pictures below, I was about to sand blast the timing cover when I saw the breakage.
            Is the 360 timing cover the same as the 401?
            I am thinking I will just steal the timing cover off my 401 when i do the swap??
            IMG-2438 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr
            IMG-2437 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr
            Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
              350 Buick
              • Jul 09, 2009

360/401 cover will work Same/Same.
              Really just the lower end was different for the most part.

PS
              That cover "kinda" looks rebuild able. Don't throw it away!
              (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                258 I6
                • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
                360/401 cover will work Same/Same.
                Really just the lower end was different for the most part.

PS
                That cover "kinda" looks rebuild able. Don't throw it away!

Thank you!
                I will keep it, other then the broken area it is in good shape. May try to repair it and put in the 360 assuming it is in good shape haha
                Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                  258 I6
                  • Dec 17, 2018

No pictures, but I believe I got the last of the engine parts ordered today. Piston rings, main bearings, and connecting rod bearings! Should all be here by the weekend, hoping to spend Saturday putting it together.

Just remembered I still need a timing chain and sprockets but that can wait awhile as I my cover is not in good shape.

As I am writing this I am realizing all the other stuff I need...intake manifold, headers, most of my sensors (water temp, oil pressure), fuel pump, water pump, etc... But as far as engine internals I think i am done!
                  Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• rws31
                    258 I6
                    • Dec 10, 2016

Originally posted by Wagoneer Taylor
                    No pictures, but I believe I got the last of the engine parts ordered today. Piston rings, main bearings, and connecting rod bearings! Should all be here by the weekend, hoping to spend Saturday putting it together.

Just remembered I still need a timing chain and sprockets but that can wait awhile as I my cover is not in good shape.

As I am writing this I am realizing all the other stuff I need...intake manifold, headers, most of my sensors (water temp, oil pressure), fuel pump, water pump, etc... But as far as engine internals I think i am done!

Isn't it amazing how no matter how much stuff you order and you just know that should be everything, it isn't. You say, yep that's it. Then it hits you after your done ordering, of coarse, that you forgot half your stuff.
                    89 GW, 454, 700R4, 241C, 411's with posi's, 9" rearend, 2500 stall, lifted, and lots more to do.
                    1988 Ramcharger
                    1999 International 4700 Crew Cab 4X4, custom step side bed
                    2003 Durango 4x4
                    1982 CJ7 4 banger
                    2008 MB E320 Bluetec

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                      258 I6
                      • Dec 17, 2018

Exactly!!
                      Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                        258 I6
                        • Dec 17, 2018

This weekend was a doozy!!
                        First the good:
                        The sand blaster at my work is not working right now so I went the old route of paint stripper, couple of shots of it bubbling away.
                        [IMG]IMG-2442 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
                        [IMG]IMG-2444 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]

Some more good:
                        Got the wife to help out, she de-ringed and cleaned up the pistons!
                        This is were the bad started, to no fault of my wife's I will add!
                        [IMG]IMG-2449 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
                        [IMG]IMG-2453 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
                        Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                          258 I6
                          • Dec 17, 2018

Okay, here we go on the bad from the weekend:
                          I had ordered all the internal parts of the engine this last week and got them on Friday to install. I would have been able to install the crank, pistons, cam, and heads HAD all gone well. Previously I had measured everything and was surprised that none of the engine had been machined before and bought parts accordingly...some of you may already see where this is going, but don't spoil it for the other viewers
                          As mentioned above my wife cleaned up the pistons (which I wish we had done earlier) as when she did this we saw on the top of the pistons a little number reading 0.030"!!! Which after re-measuring my block bore, obviously checked out, it had been bored! So that means piston rings need to get returned, no biggy I can still make good progress and do the crank and cam...but for giggles I should measure them the crank again to make sure the main bearings and connecting rod bearing are correct.
                          WAS I HIGH when I measured last time!(Spoiler alert I was not) They are not standard either! Needless to say all the parts I ordered for this weekend were wrong and will need to be returned and re-ordered.

This sadly is not where the bad luck stops. Trying to salvage what I could do that day with no parts, I decided to hone the block and flat sand the head surfaces to prepare.
                          The pics below show the before and after, what they don't show is that I am pretty sure I have a crack in one cylinder!!! I will be contacting some engine places to check it for me and then go from there, but again needless to say this is a major set back, and if I end up having to do a full machine job on this block it will have to be put on hold because me and the wife are buying a house on Nov. 1st and don't have it in the budget!
                          [IMG]IMG-2454 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
                          [IMG]IMG-2455 by Taylor Poppitz, on Flickr[/IMG]
                          Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                            258 I6
                            • Dec 17, 2018

Last bit of rant!
                            To top it off I got a flat tire on my daily driver this morning on the way to work.
                            Some call me Taylor...

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 31, 2016

A) Change your signature, Should say "Soon to be a 407!"
                              B) Know that .030 bumps your compression up a tiny bit. Not enough to require a change in fuel but should give you a little more HP. I paid $495 to have my block .030 over/honed, so you just saved that much $$.
                              C) I paid a lot for my .030 over pistons: you saved that, too. I want to say they were $300...?
                              D) Why do you think there is a crack? do you see it? Better to find it now than when you put it all together, fire it up, and make brown chocolate milk shake while torching all your new bearings.
                              E) Yes, this sucks but you got a smoking deal on that engine. That was a horrible weekend, but its better than torching a cam lobe or having low oil pressure after a fresh rebuild.
                              F) How did the valve covers turn out?
                              G) On your last picture, at the bottom right of the block (Maybe #8's hole?), there is, what looks like a long dent that travels right next to the cooling passage... that looks like it might leak.... you might want to clean that crease out, fill it with JB weld and file/sand it flat...?
                              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                              (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                              (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                              79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                              (Cherokee Build Thread)
                              11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                              09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Wagoneer Taylor
                                258 I6
                                • Dec 17, 2018

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
                                A) Change your signature, Should say "Soon to be a 407!"
                                B) Know that .030 bumps your compression up a tiny bit. Not enough to require a change in fuel but should give you a little more HP. I paid $495 to have my block .030 over/honed, so you just saved that much $$.
                                C) I paid a lot for my .030 over pistons: you saved that, too. I want to say they were $300...?
                                D) Why do you think there is a crack? do you see it? Better to find it now than when you put it all together, fire it up, and make brown chocolate milk shake while torching all your new bearings.
                                E) Yes, this sucks but you got a smoking deal on that engine. That was a horrible weekend, but its better than torching a cam lobe or having low oil pressure after a fresh rebuild.
                                F) How did the valve covers turn out?
                                G) On your last picture, at the bottom right of the block (Maybe #8's hole?), there is, what looks like a long dent that travels right next to the cooling passage... that looks like it might leak.... you might want to clean that crease out, fill it with JB weld and file/sand it flat...?
                                A) hahaha I will have to change it for sure!
                                B) C) That is a good point, Thanks for pointing out some silver lining cuz I was definitely not a happy camper on Saturday.
                                D)There is this rough patch that I couldnt hone away, along with what appear to be line coming from either side of it. I am going by the engine tonight i will try to get a picture to post!
                                E)I agree, that was the silver lining Saturday was I found it now rather then ruining the engine, for a little while i wasnt even going to take it apart glad i did now.
                                F) They were mostly stripped, since i have time now i can wait for the sand blaster at my work to get fixed
                                G) That mark is from old RTV that I tried to flat sand, I scrapped it off now its as clean as a whistle, I will get a pic of that tonight too.
                                Some call me Taylor...

Comment

Working...
                                X