• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteelPonyCowboy
    232 I6
    • Sep 24, 2005

1988 Arizona Grand Wagoneer Build

Thought I would share my newest FSJ build. Picked up a nice rust free Arizona 1988 Grand Wagoneer with low miles and runs very nicely for $800

Most of the issues are the interior with the typical cracked leather seats, headliner that is falling down, wear door lock actuators, a rear window that works sometimes and then not and a side rear door window that needs a new window regulator tape crown. Otherwise it's a solid project vehicle.

What makes this an easy start is that it has a 3" suspension lift already but it looks more like 2 or so. I don't want to lift it too high like my last Wagoneer "The Beast" because an 8+ inch is just a bit too much for my short, aging legs. I am thinking a 4 inch lift will work just fine for me.

I also bought a parts vehicle for another $400. Got it mostly for the massive front bumper, the custom roof rack and the Rhino grill and round headlights. It also has a near perfect rear seat, all the windows work too.

I've already ordered some parts and you'll most likely see this in a magazine article later this year when it's done.
  • SteelPonyCowboy
    232 I6
    • Sep 24, 2005

lFed Ex just delivered my first parts. I'm planning on installing them over the next two weeks, in between some planned off-road weekend camping trips.

Found this stuff on Ebay, talked with the seller/builder/inventor over a few weeks and decided that these would be a good addition to this project.

The first item is a Front Spring Shackle Reversal 2" Lift Kit.

Here are two pictures of the front pieces:

The kit also comes with blocks and u-bolts for the rear lift:

My first impression is that these are well built and will be an easy install.

Then while looking at all the FSJ stuff he has on his Ebay store, I saw this Front Receiver Hitch option for the front part of the build. I felt that while it is definitely an advantage for towing, lifting (jacking up) and a place to insert a receiver shackle mount for a recovery point, it definitely will beef up and stabilize the front spring mounts.

You can check out all the FSJ parts he offers on his Ebay Store:

His name is Rocky, somewhere in Florida 863 397 4027
    Last edited by SteelPonyCowboy; 01-27-2015, 07:30 PM. Reason: spelling error correction

Comment

• jsinajeep
      304 AMC
      • Nov 26, 2005

Rocky is a member on here.
      http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• cagntn1
        230 Tornado
        • Jan 11, 2015

Looks awesome let us know how it goes I am trying to do the same to a 73 j4600...can you swap the grills out on those I like the one on the donor truck it looks more old school .. I know the j trucks share the same grill as wagoner I would like that look on mine.. I opened a 79 wagoner when I was a kid i rember I redid the outside wood grain with contact paper I bought from Walmart and it actually looked good! That thing would climb a tree I loved it.. Good luck

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
          232 I6
          • Sep 24, 2005

Yes the classic Gladiator/Rhino Grill can be swapped out to any FSJ.

Some things to consider (I've done 3 of these now) is that the header panels are not 100% the same. The FSJs with square headlights will take a little bit of fabrication to put round headlights in the holes (even thought the holes are still round). If you don't have round FSJ lights, CJ7 lights work perfectly.

If your FSJ has that "bull nose" bar across the front of the hood, it is going to leave two big holes you need to deal with. Also the non-Gladiator Grill models have a slightly different hood where it wraps around the top of the grill, most people won't notice it but other than finding the correct hood, there's nothing you can do about it.

Ah, wood grain, the AZ sun isn't friendly on wood grain. I wish that I could get away with some very reasonably priced Walmart contact paper but I doubt it would last more than a year. I'm guessing though for the price of the the "real" stuff, you could probably get 15 to 20 years out of Walmart vinyl contact paper and still be ahead.

----------------------------------

Jerry, I didn't know, that. Guess he will be tickled to see my post then :-)

Comment

• jsinajeep
            304 AMC
            • Nov 26, 2005

Good looking GW Mike and good to see you back. You can find Rocky in the
            Vendors section. Your wood grain look pretty good but when it start looking bad you can do as I did on my trail rig. I used a under coating with the texture that I liked an then painted over it the color that I wanted.

Comment

• berettaguy
              232 I6
              • Jul 28, 2007

Both of those trucks look pretty good. Are you sure you want to hack up that second one for a parts vehicle?

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                232 I6
                • Sep 24, 2005

The second one got the nick name "The Death Mobile" from the movie Animal House. It is an Arizona FSJ, another 1988 GW. No rust no body damage but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. While the body is good the drive train is shot, motor blown, tranny I was told slipped like crazy and thunked before the the motor threw a rod and nailed a piston. About the only thing good are the D44 axles and the NP229 transfer case. The grill, bumper, roof rack and bumper alone are easily worth a few hundred more than I got into it.

I know what you are saying but there are lots of 88s out there that run and to get this one back into running condition and looking decent would cost way more than it's worth. It will be great as a spare parts Jeep though.

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 24, 2005

Well I think I got lucky today.

Found me a D44 axle from a mid 70's Wag with factory flat top knuckles on Craigslist for $100.

Going to get them milled to accept high steer arms and move the tie rod and drag link up and out of the way.

I'll put the 88 knuckles back on the donor axle and try to sell it again.

Comment

• stephen660
                    230 Tornado
                    • Jan 26, 2015

Parts GW

SteelPonyCowboy. Nice find on the parts GW. Ill buy the Vacuum motor 4wd actuator if your willing to sale it.

Comment

• Captain Obvious
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 18, 2010

Total BS! Nice find, you stole it.

Originally posted by SteelPonyCowboy

I also bought a parts vehicle for another $400. Got it mostly for the massive front bumper, the custom roof rack and the Rhino grill and round headlights. It also has a near perfect rear seat, all the windows work too.

84 FSJ - 148k on the original 360 and tranny. Fully loaded with sun roof.

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 24, 2005

LOL. I finally got the "parts" Jeep stripped down from all the things I wanted:

Rhino Grill
                        Roof Rack
                        Bumpers
                        Rear Seat

Then someone stopped by and asked me if I would consider selling the D44 axles. So I removed some more stuff:

Custom diamond plate door and rear side panels
                        Stereo system
                        Custom diamond plate dash with full set of AutoMeter gauges
                        Took a couple of window regulators.

I asked him to make me an offer to take the whole thing and he gave me two "Benjamin's".

So yes, I guess I stole it

Oh the flat top knuckles, I got them removed and put a spare set of regular ones back on from my last high steer Wag. Resold that for $100.

So now all the "junk" I don't need is out of my side yard. Fiancée is happy a bit now all that is cleaned up but still have all the aluminum stuff like the factory '88 grill, bumpers and such. Oh and a few of the long side windows from a FSJ Cherokee. Not sure why I am keeping them. Thought maybe I could the aluminum stuff to the scrap yard along with my bag of aluminum cans.

Comment

• SteelPonyCowboy
                          232 I6
                          • Sep 24, 2005

Well it's been a couple of weeks since I last posted anything. Been tied up with club business and working on a couple of articles for the magazine.

In my spare time, I've managed to take the roof rack from the "death mobile" and sand it down for new paint. I picked out Rustoleum Hammered Copper. The white and copper should look spiffy together.

The Hella lights and KCs I wanted to use with the rack were way too big so I ordered a set of Hella 500ff Driving lights and they fit perfect. Now the wait is for the 4 others ordered to fill up all the lighting spots up front.

Installed a solar panel to keep the battery at peak charge when the Jeep has been sitting for a while and also to replace some the power that the 60 quart fridge/freezer will be using when I'm off on some expeditions.

As communications are important, I installed CB, Ham Radio and Cellular extender antennas plus there are two other mounts ready to accept an external GPS antenna and a Sirius/XM external antenna.

I took a tire mount left over from another project and fitted it to this rack.

There are now two 5 gallon Jerry Can holders on each side at the rear for extra water.

A RotoPak mount was placed on the drivers side to hold two 4 gallon RotoPak gas containers.

On the passenger side I've put a "multi-mount" of my own design which is going to hold my HiLift Xtreme jack for the short term until I get it mounted to my custom rear bumper then it will be used to mount a Fox Wing awning to keep me shaded at camp.

Now that all of that work is done, I've got a few guys from the club coming over this afternoon to help hoist this "titanic" roof rack up on the roof and then bolt it down.

I'll take a few pictures and post them tonight and then update you on the progress of the shackle reverse lift, the front and rear bumpers, roll cage and more.

Comment

• jsinajeep
                            304 AMC
                            • Nov 26, 2005

Sound like you are getting there. Yes it pictures time.

Comment

• will e
                              Always Broke
                              • Nov 16, 2001

SPC how have you been?

I have some parts mike knuckles from my 82. They are set up for high steer/cross over. PM me if you are interested.
                              82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

Working...
                              X