• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 86j10
    232 I6
    • Nov 26, 2009

J10 Heater core instsll

Need some help with a heater core removal and install on my 86 j10. Factory a/c truck. Heater core was good prior. Think I broke the fitting on the core when I was replacing the old heater hoses with new ones because now it leaks. I was able to get the 2 nuts off the box at the firewall and am finding that I may have to pull all the duct work down and out of the way to get to the others.
    Last edited by 86j10; 09-27-2019, 09:13 AM.
  • SJTD
    304 AMC
    • Apr 26, 2012

You can see the two nuts holding the heater assembly to the firewall on the engine side. You can also see the two studs that have nuts on the inside.

I have read that one can reach the nuts without removing the AC but haven't tried.

But maybe you can separate the two halves of the heater box without removing it from the firewall?
    Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• johnsonic
      258 I6
      • Mar 12, 2015

I've read that it's possible to do it without dropping the AC too, but not sure how it's possible without having eyes on your fingertips and a double jointed arm with 4 wrists.
      1984 GW
      Comp 260H
      Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
      Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
      Performer Intake
      Holley SA 670
      MSD 8523
      Dakota Digital custom cluster
      Serehill headlamp harness
      NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
      ...but the parts live on

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

You don't have to *remove* the A/C unit under the dash to reach the two nuts on the studs protruding into the passenger-compartment, but you do have to drop it just enough to reach in with an extension to take off those nuts.

Here is the location of those two studs on the inside of the firewall, directly vertical from where the A/C hoses come through the grommet on the firewall:

You just have to remove the screws holding the A/C unit to the bottom of the dash, and maybe one upper support strap, to lower it enough to reach them with a deep 1/2" socket (I think).
        1987 J-20
        Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Bob Barry
          Wow! Respect!!!

keep in mind when you look up there, those two studs are sticking through the firewall pad. My 79 has a bracket that connect to the lower stud that holds the back of the A/C unit up.

Don't be scared to lower your A/C unit. It is SUPER easy. You will spend twice as much time trying to get those 2 nuts off with the A/C in place than if you just lowered it.

Just unscrew the 2 screws that hold the vent tube under the steering column then remove that tube and set aside. Then remove the screws across the front under the dash. Mine also has a small light I have to unscrew by the passenger knees. Then you remove the bracket that you have to remove anyway. That's it. No hoses being opened, no loss of freon. No hard to get to screws. no electrical connections to break. Just unscrew the front, then remove the bracket and the A/C comes down.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Bob Barry
            Jeep Doctor
            • Apr 09, 2000

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            Wow! Respect!!!

keep in mind when you look up there, those two studs are sticking through the firewall pad. My 79 has a bracket that connect to the lower stud that holds the back of the A/C unit up.

Don't be scared to lower your A/C unit. It is SUPER easy. You will spend twice as much time trying to get those 2 nuts off with the A/C in place than if you just lowered it.

Just unscrew the 2 screws that hold the vent tube under the steering column then remove that tube and set aside. Then remove the screws across the front under the dash. Mine also has a small light I have to unscrew by the passenger knees. Then you remove the bracket that you have to remove anyway. That's it. No hoses being opened, no loss of freon. No hard to get to screws. no electrical connections to break. Just unscrew the front, then remove the bracket and the A/C comes down.
            Ah, they roped in a new Admin; thanks for all your hard work, then!

That description is spot-on; the picture I posted is of a Cherokee that did not have the firewall pad that a GW would have. I did do this in a GW, however, and it's just as Rang described.
            1987 J-20
            Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube

Comment

Working...
            X