500Hp ,401, update, test drives, tuning begins!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 82camo401j10
    232 I6
    • Mar 16, 2020

500Hp ,401, update, test drives, tuning begins!

I've had my share of problems. Oil line Fire, the worsr(all burnt wiring repaired except fuel gauge wires),727, pan leaks,(mopar gasket fixed),belt alignment(pressed WP threaded flange fix),stock air cleaner to Holley DP HO 750 carb(1/2in adpt fix), dialing in the big cam and carb to work with the mild(1800 stall, 2100rpm flash converter), carb benn off 20 times for changes, it finally got time for some short test rides!
    Drove several 4-5 mile slow(3500rpm max) test, returned for adjustments. My 10 year old son(I'm 62), loves off road, was with me yesterday, and on several other test. Almost home he said, it just don't run like it did when it was in the car dad. Now it's still choked down with only 2in cherry bomb style pipes, and the single valve springs still on(I have triples to install,4500 max untill), we left the last stop sign turning right,1/4 mile from home, I laid into it hard, Lit the rear tires up for just couple seconds, tact hit 5k before I could get out of it, he grinned ear to ear,said now that's what I benn missing.
    Springs going in soon, then going to muffler shop to uncork, I think I'll be happy.

500hp, 401, j10, update- test drives
  • 7350life
    232 I6
    • Jul 05, 2020

Originally posted by 82camo401j10
    I laid into it hard, Lit the rear tires up for just couple seconds, tact hit 5k before I could get out of it, he grinned ear to ear,said now that's what I benn missing.
    It's those small, amazing moments that erases most of the misery.

Sometimes I seriously question why I still tinker with cars...and then that moment happens...and I forget the question.

Congrats
    1979 J10, 304 V8, 4-speed manual

Comment

• 82camo401j10
      232 I6
      • Mar 16, 2020

U said it well!
      People with no kids, Don't know what their missin!
      I kid the wife all the time,(have 6 kids) 62 now with only a 10year old left @home!
      Watching the kids is better than watching TV!

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

good times!! thanks for sharing! we need a good burnout video!!!
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 82camo401j10
          232 I6
          • Mar 16, 2020

I'm changing the valve springs now! Broke it in with singles, adding the inner now,got 14 out of 16 done, the 2 next to the heater box are a Job! Gotta disassemble the spring compressor to get it on the stud, then re assemble.
          I bought from summit a really nice tool! I had 1 of the old flat bar kind that took 3-4 hands to change the locks and springs. This thing screws on stud, compresses spring, holds itself compressed, while u remove locks, then u open it, remove spring and seal, add inner spring and new seal, then lock it back down, grease locks, place on stem, and release. Much better than the old flat bar I had!
          I'll be able to turn it up, without worry, after I finish springs! My son has a u-tube channel, I'll post viedo on when finished. It's going to Fry those stock sized 235/70/15s!
          I'll be looking for a posi carrier for my D44!
          Anyone got a good rebuildable used 1 for 3.55s???

Comment

• Ristow
            • Jan 20, 2006

trac loc? i think i have one still.
            Originally posted by Hankrod
            Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
            I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• 82camo401j10
              232 I6
              • Mar 16, 2020

Is this the correct 1?

Wanna sell? Is it good shape, need rebuilt? Fit 3.55s?

I didn't realize new 1s were so cheap (if that's the right 1)?

Thanks

Ps-and what bout this 1? Is it better?,stronger? Why cost$more?

Recomandations!

And what bout this 1?

Better?,stronger?,more complete!?
              Last edited by 82camo401j10; 09-28-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

The 2nd one is a Power Lock and is considered to be one of the best/durable LS out there. The Auburn is a Light Duty LS that will likely wear the clutches sooner than the PL. However, the PL cost almost puts you into the Detroit TrueTrac which uses gears and doesnt wear out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eaton-913A5...sAAOSw8WJfXbaf

Comment

• 82camo401j10
                  232 I6
                  • Mar 16, 2020

Thanks, but too much$. I'll go with one of the first 2. I'm using this thing as a daily driver, farm use truck. I'm not beating on it off road(I have a 70cj5 for that).
                  2-
                  Test after spring install!
                  I put a 5400 pill in the shift light, son and I headed to county line and back(1/2mile straight).
                  Turned around at crossroads, an hammered it, away we go, starts pulling HARD bout 2500,
                  Took it to 5000, shifted to 2nd, nice little chirp of tires,took it to 90mph, hit 3rd and let out.
                  Slowed to 60mph,hammered it again, snap, lost throttle, coasted to nearest pull off.
                  Cable poped off ball stud on Holley, replaced and drove home.
                  More fine tuning to carb, small hesitation when accelerating from cruise to speed up.
                  Pulls better off idle than I expected, but it don't explode @3000rpm like it used too.
                  Think it's the choked down 2in exhaust!

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                    350 Buick
                    • Feb 15, 2010

I thought you were installing 2.5 inch exhaust?

Comment

• 82camo401j10
                      232 I6
                      • Mar 16, 2020

Ant benn to muffler shop yet, still working out bugs!
                      Almost done with everything.
                      Still can't figure fuel gauge out, since fire,melted wires.
                      Its orange leaving sender, but I think tan going through firewall?

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

What year is your truck again? My 79 Cherk has an orange lead from the sender to the frame rail. There on the frame rail, there is a spade connector that connects it to a pink wire. That pink wire is part of the chassis harness, goes up the frame, up the fire wall, connects to the big bulkhead connector, then Pink into the dash up to the round connector on the back of the cluster.

A note on exhaust... if you are going to keep 4WD, it can get really tight down there trying to fit a pair of pipes (2.5" or 3"). Especially on a QT/TH400 rig with a low range unit. I see you have a 727 so hopefully it is easier for you but if you are running a 727 right now, without a Xfer case, and you plan to add a transfer case, you should wait until the 4WD is complete before you pay for a new exhaust or you might be doing exhaust twice.
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 82camo401j10
                          232 I6
                          • Mar 16, 2020

That's exactly what I needed, orange to pink,I followed the wire but the color at top didn't match. The oil fire was on the pas side, melted the wires coming up from t-case.
                          I repaired them, everything else works, don't see how they affected fuel gauge?
                          Their is a brown,and tan wire fron t-case plug, going nowhere?
                          My pink wire is connected in bulkhead. Right below theirs a 5-6 wire plug, bout 10in,
                          The pink goes through. The wire beside the pink has Fried the cover off, and melted itself to both sides of adj wires. I'm going to start at plug and test.
                          Should I get volts on the pink, or ohms ? Key on,or off?
                          And yes I have a t-case and low range, staying on! I think 2.5 will go above crossmember? 3in would have to go below.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

I assume you have an 82 so I am not totally confident its the same as mine.
                            Originally posted by 82camo401j10
                            That's exactly what I needed, orange to pink,I followed the wire but the color at top didn't match. The oil fire was on the pas side, melted the wires coming up from t-case.
                            I repaired them, everything else works, don't see how they affected fuel gauge?
                            Their is a brown,and tan wire fron t-case plug, going nowhere?
                            My pink wire is connected in bulkhead. Right below theirs a 5-6 wire plug, bout 10in,
                            The pink goes through. The wire beside the pink has Fried the cover off, and melted itself to both sides of adj wires. I'm going to start at plug and test.
                            Should I get volts on the pink, or ohms ? Key on,or off?
                            And yes I have a t-case and low range, staying on! I think 2.5 will go above crossmember? 3in would have to go below.
                            Take it one circuit at a time. So, when you go key on you should get 5V on the pink wire. That same 5V goes to your temp sender and your oil pressure sender. So if those gauges do not work, you have other issues. If those gauges do work, and you get 5V to your bulkhead, just follow that down to the tank. Make sure your tank is well grounded, too.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 82camo401j10
                              232 I6
                              • Mar 16, 2020

Stock oil,and temp work.
                              So their should be 5v on the pink leaving firewall?
                              All the way to sender in tank?
                              I've already looked(felt) tank, both wires hooked.
                              I'll double check my ground.
                              Thanks.
                              Its really annoying, with no fuel gauge!
                              I put a couple gal in ea time I go to store.
                              PS- my fuel fill is Really slow?
                              Pukes gas back up the fill hole.
                              I replaced both hose to tank with correct bend new ones.
                              No change?

Comment

Working...
                              X