• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crist Clapper
    I'm being stalked by Steve... Save me!
    • Apr 28, 2008

Headliner Material: Different Grades?

In the choices of headliner material... Are there different grades/quality choices? Experiences? Suggestions? Thanks!
    1990 Grand Wagoneer:
    Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

1987 XJ Wagoneer Limited:
    Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association (FJS-PRIS)
  • hookedup50
    350 Buick
    • Aug 07, 2010

Thats a good question. I used the cordavan headliner from bj's and it was a match. It has not faded or sagged in five years, and I self installed it. I'm curious about grades as McParts store has the color I need for my pickup, and don't want to go through the effort and have it fade or sag. Subscribed
    Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
    Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
    Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
    07 Colorado
    http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• 81cherokee laredo
      258 I6
      • Jun 20, 2005

There is a difference, when doing the Laredo I bought some from an apolstery shop, unfortunately I didn't end up getting enough for both headliners. I ended up just doing the front in that material. When it came time to do the back liner I just grabed some from Mcpart boys.. Looked good until I got it installed. The black was not as black as the front liner, it wasent that it wasn't black it just didn't have the same thread count so it looked lighter. I'm curious on where BJ's/ TGW get they're liners from as I'm about to order some for the Waggy.
      Dan
      81 Cherokee Laredo- 360 727 NP219 SOA/SF 35 Coopers 4.56 Gears
      83 Cherokee - Katy- long term project
      89 Grand Wagoneer- 360 727 NP229 31x10.50's on slot rims

Comment

• Crist Clapper
        • Apr 28, 2008

~BUMP~

~BUMP~
        1990 Grand Wagoneer:
        Delilah - def: "White Lady (cocktail) with the additional ingredients of egg-whites, sugar, and cream"

Desiree - def: ?Much Desired? [orig: French] ? Desirable Charcoal Gray façade, Wood-grain vêneers,and Tan Leather éssentials"

Comment

• Mikeswagon
          258 I6
          • Oct 07, 2010

i am rebuilding mine with Alcantara...will post results in a short time.
          89 Grand Wagoneer, work in progress

360, Edelbrock 1400, Performer Cam/Lifter/Manifold, Carter 4594 el. fuel pump, Skip White HEI

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
            350 Buick
            • Jul 18, 2001

I just did mine in Charcoal suede from material I got from yourautotrim.com. Came out pretty darn good for my first headliner job.
            Ben
            1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• Mikeswagon
              258 I6
              • Oct 07, 2010

89 Grand Wagoneer, work in progress

360, Edelbrock 1400, Performer Cam/Lifter/Manifold, Carter 4594 el. fuel pump, Skip White HEI

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Oakknoll
                258 I6
                • Feb 18, 2008

I just did mine today using the fabric material from BJ's. It came out pretty good. I had never done anything like that before, but it was not difficult and I got good results. I did not use the adhesive that came from BJ's I used the 3M adhesive on the reccommendation of others on here.
                Peter

1984 J-10
                1982 CJ-8
                1982 Wagoneer
                2007 Commander
                2012 Wrangler
                1980 Cherokee (for parts)

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
                  350 Buick
                  • Jul 18, 2001

Originally posted by Mikeswagon
                  Agreed, Ill snap some this weekend. Was hoping to finish up my sunvisors first though.
                  Ben
                  1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• Frank
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jun 06, 2000

I've done two. The first was from an online outlet (American Upholstery, IIRC) and the second time, the material came from Joanne's Fabrics. The Joanne's material was less 'beefy' but both differed from the original as I could see the fabric's substrate material where the original was all nappy.

Both held up well and were comparable to the original, it's just they were not original. I think it's splitting hairs to be honest and the finished product looks great.
                    Frank
                    '88 Grand Wagoneer (Almond), "Sluggo" (RIP)
                    '88 Grand Wagoneer, (Baltic Blue) "Sluggo II" (RIP)
                    '89 Grand Wagoneer, (Dover Grey) "Sluggo III", keeping my hobby alive!

Comment

• Crist Clapper
                      • Apr 28, 2008

Thanks all! From the responses... Seems there are not different qualities of headliner material. So... Off to shop with our favorite venders!
                      1990 Grand Wagoneer:

Comment

Working...
                      X