X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • getlost4x4
    258 I6
    • Jan 23, 2010

i'd just like a 4 speed auto over the 3 speed th400. i know the th400 is built proof.

i would just like to have an overdrive for the highway.

i have plans to add TBI to my rebuilt 360, i think the 700r4 and TBI would make the jeep perfect for me.
    www.getlost4x4.com

78' Jeep Wagoneer (Tank), Built 360, 330 Miles, QT
    360 V8 (fresh rebuild), Summit Racing 8600 cam, GM TBI Conversion (in progress), 31" tires no lift, 2.5" exhaust system,dual batteries, T-Max 9000 lbs winch, many plans empty pockets

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Why not just replace the clutch?
      On a side note if your truck is stock the tcase is a D20.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Jacksons Hole
        232 I6
        • Apr 02, 2010

If you guys are asking me "why," I just asked the q to make sure I kept all my options open. If I didn't ask, I wouldn't have found out I could do the AW4 swap instead.

As I said, I'm just in research mode. I want to learn about this thing before I do anything to it. I will start digging into it eventually and learn what's wrong. I want a backup in case the 3-spd is shot or close to shot.

I'm going to ask other dumb questions in additional posts that I may or may not do, based on others opinions, and how I feel when the rebuild starts.

ie...do I try to add power steering, do I buy a BJ's disc brake conversion or just follow JP mag's instructions, do I add power brakes, can I fit 4 speakers, do I need an additional fuse panel, can I fit Waggy buckets inside, how do I mount the spare to the bed, what's the best sound deadening, are there leafs that swap in, how big tires can I fit, how do I retrofit XJ bushwacker fender flares

etc etc etc

Will I do everything above? No....but will I kick myself if I don't ask (or search)? Yes.

For now the 3-spd is staying and maybe it does just need a new clutch. I'll find out soon enough.

But I'll keep asking pre-emptive q's!
        1971 J2000 Gladiator - "Bertha"
        AMC 360 - 2bbl Motorcraft Carb - T-15A 3spd - D20 T-Case - 11" Clutch - D44 front and rear - 4.09 axle ratio
        ** Status - Scrapped **
        1990 Grand Wagoneer
        ** New - Just learning about her **

Comment

• recycledj10

If I can figure out how to post pictures on here, I will show everybody what the xj aw4 shifter looks inside my j10.

Also you can get the jeep np208 behind the aw4, just need to get ahold of a 1/4 inch spacer are even less then that and RTV the crap out of it on both sides.

And as Wagoneerlover stated the swap was very cheap. I already had the trans from an xj, my np208 out of my j10, and sourced afew parts from junkyards like the xj shifter, starter and little ods and ends. But I probaly put less then 200 bucks in the swap.

The most expensive thing out my swap was getting the 4.0 flexplate balanced to AMC 360 specs. And my aw4 is shifted manualy right now with a rotary switch( in process of rebuilding the 360) and when I am done I will take the time to put the computer in.

Comment

• reece146
            232 I6
            • Feb 23, 2007

I would love to see the shifter in the J10.

Comment

• Songman
              327 Rambler
              • Jan 25, 2008

Originally posted by getlost4x4
              i'd just like a 4 speed auto over the 3 speed th400. i know the th400 is built proof.

i would just like to have an overdrive for the highway.

i have plans to add TBI to my rebuilt 360, i think the 700r4 and TBI would make the jeep perfect for me.
              That's my thought too. It has to be a lot nicer to drive on the highway with the overdrive transmission.
              1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
              1979 Jeep J-10 Pickup
              1963 Jeep J300 Gladiator

Comment

• Jacksons Hole
                232 I6
                • Apr 02, 2010

Originally posted by reece146
                I would love to see the shifter in the J10.
                Ditto.
                AMC 360 - 2bbl Motorcraft Carb - T-15A 3spd - D20 T-Case - 11" Clutch - D44 front and rear - 4.09 axle ratio
                ** Status - Scrapped **
                1990 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• recycledj10

How do you post pictures on the website?

Comment

• Jacksons Hole
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 02, 2010

Originally posted by recycledj10
                    How do you post pictures on the website?
                    Host them somewhere (I use webshots) and then copy the link to post the particular pic in a forum. Click the yellow mountain with sun icon when responding to a post (2 to the right of the hyperlink) and paste the link in.
                    Last edited by Jacksons Hole; 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM.
                    ** Status - Scrapped **
                    1990 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• recycledj10

I think this works, this is a picture of my cherokee shifter inside my j10.

Comment

• reece146
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 23, 2007

Cool.

Do you have enough space in the console for the transfer case shifter to travel its full range?

Comment

• recycledj10

If you look in the picture you will see that I couldn't use the stock t case shifter hole. I had to cut open the console for the shifter. But it does work.

Comment

• Jacksons Hole
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 02, 2010

Looks good!
                            ** Status - Scrapped **
                            1990 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• reece146
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 23, 2007

Originally posted by recycledj10
                              If you look in the picture you will see that I couldn't use the stock t case shifter hole. I had to cut open the console for the shifter. But it does work.
                              Ok, I see it now. My XJ is a 97+ so the console looks different so I wasn't familiar with what I was looking at.

Do you plan to stick a rubber or leather/vinyl boot on it to cover the mechanism?

Comment

• billyrb
                                BJ's Off-Road
                                • Aug 15, 2001

Here is another option for the controller that uses a toggle switch for the 2 down to 1 shift, rather than a 3-position knob:

BJ's Off-Road
                                [email protected]
                                Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

Working...
                                X