• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

Track Bar

I want to put a track bar on my J10. is there a kit anyone makes ? if not I've found a late Wagoneer track bar that I'm sure I could fab brackets for. is there a place I can find pictures of what I'm trying to duplicate or does anyone have pictures ?
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

track bar or sway bar? you really do not need a track bar for leaf springs but a sway bar can help in drivability. There are off road company's that make a universal track bar set up for coil spring set ups.

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
      350 Buick
      • Jul 18, 2001

Track bar can definitely help w/ stability, especially when towing. Ive thought about doing the same thing, and found that you can probably find a over the shelf weld it yourself bracket kit for the axle side, but youll have to either completely custom fab the frame side, or again, find something close and make it work. Its got to be really strong though, the trackbar forces the leaf springs to the side, rather than straight up and down like they want to move, especially if you have lift springs.

I found searching for "track bar" or "axle" or stuff like that on Google Images with "site:ifsja.org" after the search string will get you a bunch of images that you can quickly flip though and find ones showing the track bar bracket.

Remember, the track bar needs to be the exact same length and angle as you steering arm coming down from the pitman arm to the axle, to remove any bumpsteer.
      Ben
      1980 Wagoneer - Ram Jet 350, 700R4, NP208, 4" lift, 33x10.5 tires.

Comment

• 440sixpack
        327 Rambler
        • Jul 21, 2016

That's what I'm after, to take the wander out of it. I have new everything including a Redhead box and I can keep it on the road but it's not a pleasure to drive.

The frame bracket you can still buy, the axle bracket I'm only guessing what that looked like . that's why I figured some pictures would tell a lot.

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
          350 Buick
          • Jul 18, 2001

I had similar issues w/ mine and I finally got it where i wanted it after replacing the ball joints. Everything else had been replaced/upgraded. They were too stiff from age (not worn and sloppy). Well that and throwing the extended shackles in the trash.

What kind/lift leaf spring are you running?
          Ben

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
            350 Buick
            • Jul 18, 2001

Theres some good pics of the axle side bracket in this thread:
            Anyone put a track bar off an 86 or later wagoneer on an early wagoneer? I'm still working through my steering alignment issues and I'm thinking about adding a track bar. Was checking for slop in the front end as part of my diagnosing of issues, nothing has slop in it. The only thing that moves is if you steer right and left
            Ben

Comment

• 440sixpack
              327 Rambler
              • Jul 21, 2016

I have all new ball joints. they are a little stiff but I don't think they're bad enough to cause issues.

I see in those pictures the track bar is for a driver side drop axle. mine is passenger side. I suppose you could just move everything to the other side and go with it ?

Comment

• RamJetFSJ
                350 Buick
                • Jul 18, 2001

No, I dont think so. Otherwise you axle would move in the opposite direction as your steering shaft as cause massive bump steer. It has to be mounted to the frame on the same side as the steering box. Not sure what your going to do w/ a pass drop axle. All the later years that had trackbars were drivers drop axles.
                Ben

Comment

• 440sixpack
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jul 21, 2016

Looks like once again I hit a brick wall.

Comment

• Gadzooks2
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 19, 2006

Don't feel bad, the trac bar for anything other than highway use is a bad idea. If you use any travel to speak of off road, the track bar will try to shove the housing sideways as it travels through it's radius and gets longer. This pushes against your leaf springs, bushings and shackles. Track bars are appropriate on coil spring front ends like the XJ but even at that they are less than ideal for the same reasons.

If your jeep is all over the road and you have no worn parts, check the alignment with particular focus on toe and caster. If the toe is out, it will wander and if the caster is not enough it will also hunt down the road.

Good luck.
                    78' J-9, 96' XJ

Comment

Working...
                    X