• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 1979cherokee
    232 I6
    • Aug 03, 2011

GM TBI

My carb on my cherokee is junk im thinking about going to TBI. How hard is it going to be to install the system in my cherokee?
    BIG RED 31inch Mickey Thompsons Baja MTZ, Rustys 4 inch full spring lift, 1973 AMC 360 Chevy TBI, edelbrock performer intake,.030 over, crane cam, dubble roller timing set,TH400, BW1339, Dana 44 front and rear, Bj's offroad prerunner bumper. Full size for life with the exception of GM product and no Fords.
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Depends.
    Are you going to buy a ready to go package, or DIY?

If you can turn a wrench, and have some tools knowledge it's pretty easy.

DIY route, you'll need some additional stuff to tune it.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• 1979cherokee
      232 I6
      • Aug 03, 2011

im going DIY.
      BIG RED 31inch Mickey Thompsons Baja MTZ, Rustys 4 inch full spring lift, 1973 AMC 360 Chevy TBI, edelbrock performer intake,.030 over, crane cam, dubble roller timing set,TH400, BW1339, Dana 44 front and rear, Bj's offroad prerunner bumper. Full size for life with the exception of GM product and no Fords.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
        • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by 1979cherokee
        im going DIY.
        READ. Read. Read.

And read some more.

It will make your brain hurt if you are new to TBI and/or electronics, but it is well worth the investment of the time.

It's not particularly tough to understand, but it is different than carbs and such. OTOH, it is also similar, in that it is designed to feed an Otto cycle engine. Thus, there are the electronic versions of a choke, fast idle and other things.

I would recommend a setup that includes timing control if your local emissions laws allow it.

Welcome!
        Ethan Brady
        1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• 1979cherokee
          232 I6
          • Aug 03, 2011

i started reading about the system, i have a friend who has a 87 chevy with the tbi system so i can look at that truck to see how it works.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
            • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by 1979cherokee
            i started reading about the system, i have a friend who has a 87 chevy with the tbi system so i can look at that truck to see how it works.
            How smart is your friend?

Think he or she would notice if you swiped some parts?
            Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• jeepfan93
              304 AMC
              • Feb 07, 2006

going this route myself. Binderplanet.com read read read
              Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
              >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
              87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
              1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• Bill USN-1
                258 I6
                • Nov 11, 2006

Originally posted by jeepfan93
                going this route myself. Binderplanet.com read read read

Start with the "start here" thread. It will open a whole page of FAQ's.
                It starts at the top with the parts required then goes to the wiring and then lots of examples of different sytem installs including a complete step by step.
                Bill USN-1
                Fuel Injection Moderator at BinderPlanet
                Hamilton Fuel Injection
                75 scout XLC 345/727/JPD300/3.73's/33's/4wdisc/hydroboost/EFI/OBA/OBW
                1977 Innocenti 1001 (Italian Mini)EFI 1275/DIS

Comment

• 1979cherokee
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 03, 2011

no im not going to swap parts. Im already reading everything i can about TBI.
                  Last edited by 1979cherokee; 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

• 1979cherokee
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 03, 2011

how do i adapt the throttle body to the intake?

Comment

• jeepfan93
                      304 AMC
                      • Feb 07, 2006

Free Shipping - Trans-Dapt Performance Throttle Body to Carbureted Manifold Adapters with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Throttle Body Adapters, Carbureted Manifold at Summit Racing.

Now go back and read the Binderplanet stuff. It's all in there. Stock 2 bbl intake? I would seriously upgrade to an aftermarket 4BBL
                      Jeeps are Jeeps, keep Jeepin
                      >It's not about the ten hour drive to get the rust bucket jeep, it's about where your your going when it's done
                      87GW 99 Durango 5.2 drivetrain, SOA 35in Falken Wildpeak. MT rims
                      1997 Ram 1500 5.2 33in Falken Rocky Mounts for haulin

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by jeepfan93
                        http://www.summitracing.com/parts/trd-2211
                        Now go back and read the Binderplanet stuff. It's all in there. Stock 2 bbl intake? I would seriously upgrade to an aftermarket 4BBL
                        Really? An expensive 4V aftermarket intake under a 2V throttle body? What good will that do?
                        Tim Reese
                        Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                        Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                        Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                        GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                        ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                          • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by tgreese
                          Really? An expensive 4V aftermarket intake under a 2V throttle body? What good will that do?
                          You'll gain 10 ponies just from the weight difference!

I put a Performer intake under my 2 barrel TBI unit, too. <shrug>
                          Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• 1979cherokee
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 03, 2011

ok, thanks i went to binder planet and read and read and read and i couldent find how to adapt the throttle body.

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

Really...
                              To keep stickys to a minimum, I will try to keep the most important threads linked from here. First, all information is free but this web site isn't. So as you sift thru all I have posted here, if you feel it has helped or saved you some time or money...please consider becoming a member. Then...

Scroll down to "TBI" section and look for the below link
                              "What Throttle Body adapter do I need?"

Tony
                              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                              X