What was/is your Favorite fix on your rig(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serious Johnson
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • May 19, 2002

Oh, and I have nothing but respect for Geo Metros; they fill a needed niche and I wouldn't mind having one. Dear Wife had one, of sorts: it was a brandamnew '89 Suzuki Swift GTi which was the same body but with a neat little aluminum twin-cam four cylinder engine. 100 HP moves a 1,750 lb. car right smartly.

S.J.
    "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
    360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
    T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Serious Johnson
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • May 19, 2002

As for the Wagoneer, I'm not sure whether converting to a manual transmission or fuel injection was the better "fix".

}}}}
      "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
      360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
      T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Curly5759
        232 I6
        • Mar 08, 2015

It was a very simple/quick fix, but repairing the vent line on the fuel filler of my 77 Cherokee. I bought the jeep about 60 miles from home and filled the tank before starting out. I was swimming in FUMES!!
        PO had casually mentioned that 'sometimes it smells like gas.' The rubber elbows on the vent line inside the rear quarter panel had large holes in the. 5 min with some hose, problem fixed! Easiest fix so far. Cruise repair was also fun/easy. Bad relay, rewired to accept a modern relay.
        77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• pineymike
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 22, 2008

Most grins

On my 1979 Cherokee from1-10; 455 Buick(20yrs ago)is still#1,panel rear doors,'66 J4000 front clip, rear disc brakes, Chevy van high back buckets, Detroit locker in rear,3" lift,33" BFG's,J 10 axles,Dana 20t case.Theres more but these are my favorites.

Comment

• ZackN920
            350 Buick
            • Nov 18, 2015

There is just too much to choose from with mine, with it being a total basket case when I got it.

So much didn't work right, or flatout didn't work. Barely drivable. Rattled and banged badly over bumps. Sat like a lowrider because of bad springs. Many holes through out. Didn't steer worth a damn. Brakes sucked and needed lines replaced. Nothing in the tailgate worked and couldn't get it open. Extremely dirty. 20 yr old dry rotted tires. Barely ran and was so rich it smoked. Took over 4 try's to start anytime. and more im not even remembering at the moment. Total POS when i got it, but its been fun fixing everything.

Its my favorite driver now.
            1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
            Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
            ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• lastrealcherokee
              232 I6
              • Jun 27, 2014

Installing HEI distributor in my 4.2 Cherokee.
              1983 Cherokee 6cyl auto 139k miles. Now 160k with HEI distributor. Daily driver.

1979 Harley Davidson Lowrider

Comment

• draglink
                350 Buick
                • Aug 17, 2008

Hands down....Going 4bbl. New intake and brand new Holley. It starts and runs perfectly, no matter what the weather. Gained a couple mpgs as well.
                '86 GW 6" Rustys, 1 1/2" BJs shackles, 33 BFGs

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

This thread is great! Keep 'em coming!
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • May 19, 2002

First time that I took the completely stock Wagoneer from South Carolina to my place in Colorado at 12,000'. Altitude compensating carburetor my hairy arse! The cat-con hopelessly plugged and the rig felt like it was making about 25 HP. On one tank it got 1.8 MPG (yes, that's a decimal). The nearest gas station was 18 miles away, most of it in 4-low, so I always kept a 5-gallon can on board. Mt toolset was irresponsibly thin -- had a hacksaw blade but no handle. I wrapped some duct tape around the blade and very, very slowly, over the course of two days, sawed the pipe off ahead of the cat. Then all was good, if loud.

S.J.
                    "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer

Comment

• J20 project
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 27, 2000

Best switch, hit, slam fix. Dana 44 hd rotors, mounted onto Dana 60 rear hubs, 3/4in spacers w/ Dana 44 caliper brackets. Made the 60 into a pretty cools rear axle.

J20
                      BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                      775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

• MadMax78
                        258 I6
                        • May 26, 2010

Not cheap but the best fix

The best fix I did was have a custom front winch bumper made. Used it twice within the first two weeks to save me and my family from a long walk. My wife no longer complains of wasting money on a bumper and winch. As if that was even a waste. Need a rear bumper to match the front now.
                        MadMax78
                        78 Cherokee Chief, Wide Track, 360, TH400, Quadra Trac, SOA, 35" BFG KM2, Edelbrock Carb & Intake

Comment

• ZackN920
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 18, 2015

Ok, I came up with one... Kinda funny, and really cheap.

Fixing the rear body mounts.
                          My rearmost body mounts were rotted out. Nothing left to the channel in the body and nothing left to the ends of the rear crossmember. Everything is solid between the frame rails, body wise and crossmember-wise. So I cut an access hole on each side of the body on the inside next to the tailgate hinge covers. Found that there were holes inside that matched the body to the crossmember.
                          I took some large bolts, some large washers, couple chunks of rubber and made up a plan. Didn't have anything to go between the crossmember and the body... Hmm. Had some 2X4 sitting around. That looks about like what I need. Cut 2 pieces off that would fit, got a crowbar, crawled under the back of the Jeep, lifted the body with the crowbar and beat the wood into place! Walla! Put the bolts, washers, rubber, and nut, torqued it down... NEW BODY MOUNTS!!!
                          Price, FREE!
                          Now, if you have to pay for any of this stuff it'd be really cheap, but I had it all laying around.

This fixed the loud banging my rear end would make going over bumps and it also fixed my tailgate issue of only latching on one side. It also OBVIOUSLY raised the back end up so it doesn't look like its sagging or leaning anymore.
                          1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
                          Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
                          ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• Old Ironsides
                            258 I6
                            • Jul 06, 2014

Just replaced my POS DUI with a MSD setup. Noticeably more low end power, and better throttle response. Best decision in a long time. 🤙🏽
                            Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
                            Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
                            '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
                            '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• Old Ironsides
                              258 I6
                              • Jul 06, 2014

Oh, doing the sanden conversion and restoring the otherwise factory AC!
                              Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
                              Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
                              '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
                              '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• J20 project
                                304 AMC
                                • Dec 27, 2000

Best emergency fix

Best emergency fix. Rolling about 60 on a dirt road. Hit a bump, trans xmember broke off one side and fell down.
                                70 miles from anywhere.
                                Used a boat winch off of the headache rack and pulled the xmember back up. Used my come a long around a body mount and pulled it back into place.
                                Drove on in to deer camp.

Two days later removed said xmember and welded it up w/ two batteries and a pair of jumper cables.

I always carry welding rod.

J20
                                BP Drivetrain...........

Driveshafts for all Jeeps, Constant velocity rebuilds, Replacement, Repair
                                775-537-7918

https://www.facebook.com/BPShafts/

Putting this back up. "Someone is gonna have to crawl under the rig"

Comment

Working...
                                X