X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8man
    304 AMC
    • Jan 04, 2011

I got the Type 2 tailgate harness from Rick, and it was the 1st electrical option I ever tried to install. It was seriously easy! I wanted the remote open/close, and I had the window working in a couple of hours.

However, since I had a NOS dash switch,

I also wanted to use the stock dash switch. So when I got the new Painless harness wired in, I had power and a ground to the NOS switch, but when I powered up the system I had power to the NOS switch, the dash switch worked, but the remotes didn't work. What had I done wrong?

I called Rick and he was most kind and willing to help. We discussed the problem I was having and the first thing he said was "it's grounding out."

I had used the ground on the dash switch, so I cut the ground wire off the back of the switch. Still had the problem. So I started thinking about the door switches Rick helped me "rebuild" and thought about the ground inside the switch that had to be removed. That was my "AHA" moment.

So I grabbed a NOS dash switch, a drill and a small drill bit. I drilled heads off the two brads that held the switch to the metal housing. Holding the switch with the toggle up, I gently pulled the switch apart, because there is a small spring and a brass plate in there you don't want to fall out, and sure enough, I could see the ground plate.

With the toggle sitting on the bench, I took the back of the switch with the plugs on it, and drilled from the inside. I drilled the head off the brad holding the brass plate inside the switch. The brass plate just came right off and the ground pin pulled out from the back side. This left only the power in pin and the up and down pins on the back.

You can see the brass plate bottom left, the brad (with the head drilled off) and the plug pin bottom right, and the open switch (how it should look to function correctly) on top in the picture above.
    I used 2 - 5.5 mm machine screws, with washer, lock washer and nut to put the switch back together and secure it to the bracket. Plugged it in, and I now have a dash switch and remote controlled rear window.

You can see the machine screw holding the switch and the bracket with the plug put back on it. It works well.

I now have a dash switch and remotes that work. If anyone wants this option, I strongly recommend doing it. If you have questions with Rick's harness he'll help, and since he helped me, if you need help with the switch, I'll help you with that.
    79 Cherokee S (current project)
    82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• serehill
      Gone,Never Forgotten.
      • Nov 22, 2009

Kewel

Great write up Robert & I appreciate it. I have been getting request but have not articulated the instructions & couldn't have as well as you.

Thank you

80 Cherokee
      360 ci 727 with
      Comp cams 270 h
      NP208
      Edlebrock performer intake
      Holley 4180
      Msd total multi spark.
      4" rusty's springs
      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• serehill
        Gone,Never Forgotten.
        • Nov 22, 2009

Still kickin.

Originally posted by Alys4x4
        Type 2 still available?
        Thanks!

Yes sir
        Last edited by serehill; 09-08-2016, 11:56 AM.

80 Cherokee
        360 ci 727 with
        Comp cams 270 h
        NP208
        Holley 4180
        Msd total multi spark.
        4" rusty's springs

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Elvis1tcb
          232 I6
          • Dec 29, 2015

Having some tailgate troubles with my 79 chief. Figure is time for an upgrade if type 2 is available
          Thanks ,
          Jason

Comment

• hangemhigh
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 25, 2016

Thanks

I have an 91 GW that the tailgate harness not so good,some people recommended you , thanks cant figure out how to post a pic , need new tailgate harness

Comment

• serehill
              Gone,Never Forgotten.
              • Nov 22, 2009

Hello

Originally posted by hangemhigh
              I have an 91 GW that the tailgate harness not so good,some people recommended you , thanks cant figure out how to post a pic , need new tailgate harness

PM Sent

80 Cherokee
              360 ci 727 with
              Comp cams 270 h
              NP208
              Holley 4180
              Msd total multi spark.
              4" rusty's springs

Comment

• jeepgirl
                232 I6
                • Aug 30, 2003

Rick is a FREAKING GENIUS!!! Just installed the complete tailgate harness with front and rear switches. I also opted for the remotes which I'm so happy I did! There is a certain cool factor being able to put the window up and down by remote on a 39 year old vehicle.

The install took me a little over 6 hours from start to finish. Barely even needed the install instructions I printed out. I had to add some wire lengths to my motor wires cause they were too short to reach the relay block. I still have to put the access cover back on, mount my inside switch, and I will need to cut back the feed wires to the battery cause they are about 6 feet too long but no biggie. Those will be done tomorrow cause I was tired and my back was killing me!

A bunch of time was spent simply getting my old wires out of the way and through the tailgate holes... there were all stuck together in some form fitting plastic thing...what a PITA!!!

Should have done the upgrade years ago... I can't wait to get the headlight harness upgrade...

I'M SO FREAKING HAPPY!!!

Thank you Rick!!!! FREAKING GENIUS!!!!
                "Silly boys.. Jeeps are for girls!"

1978 Cherokee Chief "Ivy"

Comment

• jeepgirl
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 30, 2003

Pics of my install...

Figured I would show some pics of my install.. took about 6 hours. while buttoning everything up yesterday I had a mild freak out when the window stopped working... called Rick and he got me through it (motor wire had come loose from board).. so.. install pics...

Everything pulled out for access

Mounting the board during testing... there is not a lot of room once board is mounted in the final location..

once i got all the old wires out of way there was plenty of space for the new wires. you can see the tag light wires remain.

mounting location of the breaker.. i had to cut back the additional length of wire but no biggie.. looks good right!!! .. better to be too long than coming up short (insert your own dirty comments).

I chose to try and make things look factory since i still had my old switch mount and face plate. New switch mounted but new mount holes were required in the dash since new switch sits almost flush...

I had to enlarge the opening a little with my dremel and I used some mounting tape to hold the faceplate. Looking great!!

Just a little video I did to show the remote in action... I'm so happy I reconsidered getting the remote.. COOL FACTOR!!!

oh.. and did I say he is a FREAKING GENIUS!!!
                  Last edited by jeepgirl; 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

great Info

Thank Brianne,
                    The front switch conversion looks great.

The Video is a great idea.

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs

Comment

• jeepgirl
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 30, 2003

No prob ... wanted to show the remote COOL FACTOR!!

The faceplate mod was a last minute inspiration

Comment

• cwisnoski
                        232 I6
                        • Sep 04, 2003

I am interested in a wiring kit. Are they still available?
                        87 Grand Wagoneer #projectbuddha
                        2012 JKU

Comment

• azmtn04
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 18, 2015

tailgate harness

PM sent. Would like version 2. Thanks. Hope all is well with you.
                          1981 Cherokee Chief S

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 08, 2016

I have sent a pm as well. I would love the 1st version. Thanks!
                            1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
                            1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
                            1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
                            1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
                            1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• Commando Solo
                              230 Tornado
                              • Jun 08, 2017

PM sent for version 1

Comment

• gotdirt
                                230 Tornado
                                • Sep 28, 2016

I'd like a version 2 please.