View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Bleedin' Gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavementsux91XJ
I hope nobody takes my post as a "Don't do it or I'll think your stupid" post. I'm just trying to give the "con" side of the argument. I personally do think older diesels (tier 0, 1, 2) are easier to work on than gas engines. There are plenty of reasons to do a diesel swap. I am not the utmost authority on diesel swaps, but I am a journeyman equipment mechanic in charge of a fleet of diesel powered trucks and tractors. I've worked on cats, cummins, deere, internationals, kubotas, yanmars, etc. My goal there was kind of a reality check. They cost big $$. I can rebuild an injection pump, but they are alot more complex than carbs. For instance, you rebuild a stanadyme pump like are on the Deeres and Internationals and you put the governer in backwards (very easy to do) and those engines will rev to 8000 RPM with NO way to shut them down until they finally blow up. My gf just bought an old ram 50 with a leaky pump. That pump costs 1200, parts alone. We only got it because I know a seal kit is $100 and I can rebuild the Bosch VE pumps. The 2 stroke oil trick works to prolong the life of the mechanical parts of the pumps, not the seals. The new ULSD diesel is actually B2.5 (2.5% bio diesel) The older ones will evantually leak, trust me, I have a fleet of 50 tractors and the older pumps (pre 94ish) have puked their guts out.

Like I said, I don't want to say dont do it, but I am saying, be prepared, do your homework, and make sure its what you really want before you dump big $$ into a swap and regret it.

I just realized I am completely hijacking this post, my bad!

I appreciated your posts, what it said to me is, buy the right engine, put it in for the right reasons, and here are some tips. I had this conversation with a buddy of mine thats doing some of the conversion work I dont have time for at the moment. He builds rock crawlers and doesnt understand the logic of the 4bt, he wants big gas engines, or built ones and horsepower. Im looking for durability, miles per gallon, flexibility of fuel supply, simplicity of design and no electronics, like to put in air starts, but the cost is significant. I baby my vehicles and maintain them well, but not a perfectionist, although unless there is a flaw, or catastrophic failure, I figure a 4bt repower is a lifetime conversion. I like that idea. Plus it has plenty of power to do the job, all the while getting 25 to 30 mpg.

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood