X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miraphone186
    232 I6
    • Sep 08, 2012

I just put in Shell 89 and a couple bottles of that techron stuff, I'll see how it runs tonight on my way home. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's carbon that's to blame because I mostly do city driving anyways.
    1990 Grand Wagoneer DD

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Sheesh man, quit looking for silver bullets and throw a timing light on it. 5 min job.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Miraphone186
        232 I6
        • Sep 08, 2012

I would if I had one. I'll go buy one right now.
        1990 Grand Wagoneer DD

Comment

• joe
          • Apr 28, 2000

Not trying to be an asshat but guess so far you don't even do your own tune ups. If you plan to in the future and maintain your vehicle a light should be in your toolbox. Kinda basic tool. If maint isn't your thing, pay a shop or get a neighbor to help. I'm assuming since you're asking for help here you plan to fix it rather than pay a shop so you need some minimum basic tools. Trust me you'll use them again. Again not trying to be a Richard Head here but when diagnosing a perceived problem always check the obvious easy stuff before guessing and throwing money/parts at it. As you're learning fixing is the easy part, diagnostics is the hard part. You don't need $10,000 worth of trick Snap-on fluff, just basic tools. You'll figure it out in time keep at it.
          joe

Comment

• Miraphone186
            232 I6
            • Sep 08, 2012

Originally posted by joe
            Not trying to be an asshat but guess so far you don't even do your own tune ups. If you plan to in the future and maintain your vehicle a light should be in your toolbox. Kinda basic tool. If maint isn't your thing, pay a shop or get a neighbor to help. I'm assuming since you're asking for help here you plan to fix it rather than pay a shop so you need some minimum basic tools. Trust me you'll use them again. Again not trying to be a Richard Head here but when diagnosing a perceived problem always check the obvious easy stuff before guessing and throwing money/parts at it. As you're learning fixing is the easy part, diagnostics is the hard part. You don't need $10,000 worth of trick Snap-on fluff, just basic tools. You'll figure it out in time keep at it.
            7.5/10 somewhat patronizing but accurate. Mother nature decided to rain so I think it's gonna have to wait for today.
            1990 Grand Wagoneer DD

Comment

• Miraphone186
              232 I6
              • Sep 08, 2012

Stopped raining, checked the timing and its something like 15 BTDC.
              1990 Grand Wagoneer DD

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

If it's carbon it's because it's running rich

All the carbon in the world won't make it ping.
                Stated in this thread more than needed what it will be.
                Last edited by serehill; 10-10-2013, 06:58 AM.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Miraphone186
                  232 I6
                  • Sep 08, 2012

I adjusted the timing to 10 BTDC as per oem specifications and took her on a freeway run again. I only got it to ping once right when I got off the freeway, maybe a small improvement? I've been trying to get it to ping stationary in gear so I can take a better video but no luck so far.
                  1990 Grand Wagoneer DD

Comment

• vacaisle
                    snide. snarky. grease covered.
                    • Mar 18, 2013

This indicates to me that you have other problems. You won't get it to ping standing still. It needs to be under load aka moving. I'd check the egr operation. Whats the temperature after a ride on the highway? Also if you have a vacuum pump you should check your vacuum advance. Read this
                    i set the distributor up for the plow truck engine tonite,same way i do all of mine. mine all burn 87 octane without ping/detonation,and i run 12~15 degrees intial advance and manifold vacuum to the advance unit. so,here's the way i set mine up... my engines are fully stock,or 4 barrel holley with edelbrock performer grind

Do a search for ping on this site and you'll see all the causes and then address each one.
                    89 Grand Wagoneer
                    145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Not entirely true.
                      If you have bad gas it will ping in gear standing still(foot on brake) putting a load on engine(reving engine).
                      Tony
                      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• joe
                        • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by Miraphone186
                        Stopped raining, checked the timing and its something like 15 BTDC.
                        At correct idle speed with vac hose plugged? If so it's way advanced.
                        joe

Comment

• Rich88
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Nov 20, 2008

You didn't say as much but you imply that this is a sudden on-set. In which case maybe your vacuum line to the EGR came off or is cracked & leaking. Pinging caused by other reasons such as timing or carbon build-up don't just start all off a sudden.

And if you can diminish or eliminate the pinging by backing off on timing, all the more reason to suspect EGR not working. Thing is, backing off on timing will now lower performance.
                          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Cha05Twn07
                            232 I6
                            • Dec 15, 2009

Were you able to get the pinging/knocking issue resolved?
                            1991 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                            www.1991jeepgrandwagoneer.com

Comment

• OutrageGIS
                              258 I6
                              • Feb 26, 2011

Low oil

You probably checked this, but if your oil level was really low, a sharp turn could send the oil to one side of the pan letting the oil pickup draw a bit of air (instant valve clatter) and then be re-submerged when the oil settles in the pan after the turn / acceleration. This could happen fast enough to barely affect the pressure indicator. Seen this before on a really leaky engine.
                              79 Cherokee, 360, QT, Stocky

At Large Board Member, Central South-East Jurisdiction, Elijah Craig Chapter, Bluegrass Division, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

Working...
                              X