• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • x98boardwell
    232 I6
    • Aug 21, 2014

84 GW EGR part number needed Details inside

I have searched and have come up with what you see below.

I own an 84 GW 360 with 49 state legal emissions. The current EGR is original and has these items stamped on it:
    - BHB 177075574
    - 018 42P
    -GM

I have looked at some parts lists that I found on this forum and have come up with an original part for my 84 Wag of:
    - J324 0052

Here is my dilemma... I have not been able to find that part number on any of the auto sites (Napa, Auto Zone, Rock Auto, etc.) that has that number as an acceptable cross reference for my item or the original number.

I also am unsure if mine is a positive or negative pressure valve... how do I tell?

Any help is appreciated. I need to order a new one but don't want to be stuck returning something if it isn't the correct one especially when most places need to order it as it isn't a common item.

Thanks for any help in advance!!

Regards,
    Bryan
  • vacaisle
    snide. snarky. grease covered.
    • Mar 18, 2013

Here's a recent thread that has some part numbers and other links.

I ordered a standard motor products EGR valve, and it does not hold a vacuum. Either the diaphragm has a hole in it, or that's the way they are. Anybody ever come across this? Its a standard motor products part no EGV533 that is supposed to interchange with Jeep part J3239372.

I don't think it really matters if you have a positive or negative back pressure valve. I think the only one that's really different is the 1991 model.
    89 Grand Wagoneer
    145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a

Comment

• babywag
      out of order
      • Jun 08, 2005

Your part number has probably been superceded (sp?) long long ago.

Buy whatever the catalogs/books show, and you should be fine.
      Tony
      88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• x98boardwell
        232 I6
        • Aug 21, 2014

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback and I will look at the thread that one of the above posters alluded to. I haver searched all over and found a ton of different part numbers without finding mine anywhere except on the discontinued list.

I will say that everywhere I look there are always two options and I don't know which one to purchase since my part number is nowhere to be found on either one or their compatible parts list.... I am at a loss and trying to see which one would work the best. Hopefully someone else has gone through this already and can offer some advice on which one to get and why.

Thanks again for all the help. The search continues...

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

autozone valve got me through smog in '05 and worked fine for many many years after.
          It's now in my garage collecting dust w/ all my other smog parts in a bin.
          Tony

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

[QUOTE=x98boardwell

I have looked at some parts lists that I found on this forum and have come up with an original part for my 84 Wag of:
            - J324 0052[/QUOTE]
            Are you trying xref that number as an AMC p/n? Try it w/o the J" When Chryco took over they preceded a lot of AMC p/n's with a "J"
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• x98boardwell
              232 I6
              • Aug 21, 2014

Thanks

I did search without the J. I am guessing most will work, just making sure I'm good after purchase. Thanks for the help

Comment

• x98boardwell
                232 I6
                • Aug 21, 2014

question

Originally posted by babywag
                autozone valve got me through smog in '05 and worked fine for many many years after.
                It's now in my garage collecting dust w/ all my other smog parts in a bin.
                What part number did you use?

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by x98boardwell
                  What part number did you use?
                  I can look but I don't remember...

Why are you replacing EGR? Fail smog?
                  Did you test the EGR vacuum source & CTO, before condemning the EGR?
                  Tony

Comment

• x98boardwell
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 21, 2014

nope

I didn't.. I probably should. Whats the best way?

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

Easiest way to test EGR is apply manifold vacuum directly when idling.
                      If it's(EGR) working the engine will run like poo and possibly stall.

The EGR ported vacuum source CTO should be tested when engine is warmed up.
                      When idling it should pass no vacuum. If engine is cold it should pass no vacuum.
                      Above idle it should pass vacuum to the various lines going to EGR.

Inside the air cleaner is a little plastic disc/device, usually blue.
                      If this is bad, no vacuum will reach the EGR.
                      It is a temp controlled vacuum switch/valve and again cold engine no vacuum, warm engine vacuum.

Mine failed smog big time w/ high NOx.
                      Tested EGR it wasn't working @ all.
                      Replaced EGR failed again.
                      No vacuum was getting to new EGR due to little blue dude in air cleaner.
                      Bypassed it (could not find a replacement), and passed with flying colors.
                      Tony

Comment

• x98boardwell
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 21, 2014

EGR Washers

I am in need of some help. The washers which come with the new EGR valve have different sizes on the internal ID of the washer. I am guessing this allows more or less air in when the EGR is working.

How do I know which one to use? The sheet with cross reference numbers doesn't have my original part numbers from the EGR that came off or the service manual regarding what original part number my car came with...

Which one do I use? Could I measure the ID of the old EGR and put one in that is close enough? How much does more or less air effect overall performance or drivability?

Thanks for any help,
                        Bryan

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

I recall using one of the medium/small sizes. Had the same issue, part# of my old valve wasn't on the sheet.
                          Tony

Comment

• x98boardwell
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 21, 2014

Thanks

Thanks Tony, I'm on it... bought a vac pump and looking at TSM

Comment

Working...
                            X