• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asudchiman
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 03, 2016

I'm Lost -- TBI, EFI, ABC123

Guys,
    I am new to the FSJ family. Like many of you, my family has a GW when I was little and I always wanted to own one for myself. I also had a 93 Wrangler that I loved, but sold it to buy my wife's wedding ring (I remind her of that often).

I have narrowed my search down to two 1987 GW's.

Here's my question...
    Knowing that GWs are appreciating in value, what modifications can I make to upgrade the systems for maximum reliability, but still keep it's value. I am not buying a project car, but one with low miles, and then I am going to have the great guys at The Motor Masters do any upgrades as needed.

My goal for the GW: I want the capability of making it a daily driver. I do not plan to go off-road more than a dirt/gravel trial to a campsite with the kids.

I talked to another GW owner who said simply install the Juicebox Gold 8 TFI http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-JEEP-V8-...O8iwQ&vxp=mtr) and it will start like a modern car (something my wife will really appreciate). When I talk to the mechanic, he typically uses the MSD EFI.

I have read nearly 50 posts on the forum about every possible outcome and I am more confused than ever.

I know this post will lead to many different opinions, but everything I was reading was at least 3-5 years old.

What I want to know is a what I must do, vs should do, vs like to do.
    1) At least do ________
    2) The __________ option would be really good and its what most people would want
    3) You just won the lottery so ______ is the best system money can buy.
    Current Jeep Fleet:
    1993 Wrangler Sahara (YJ) Stock, 52k
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Black] 4" Lift, 32's, 92k
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Stock, 60k
    1991 Grand Wagoneer - [Hunter Green] Restored (for sale)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Four Wheel Trends
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

How much do you want to spend? a fuel injection system with high energy ignition can run 3K

do you want to fix it now or when it breaks....

you can do the ignition first then the fuel injection later ( be sure to tell the fuel inj company of your new ignition or it may be incomparable)
    for instance howell injection stock does not support MSD ignition - but if you tell them at ordering time you have MSD and they will give you the correct wiring harness - its different

are you a carb guy or like fuel injection?

can you work /diagnose the above? if not then a trip to a shop is needed, many times a pimple face only knows fuel injection and a scanner....

I like the Howell product - all GM based so every mom and pop shop has parts

ignition wise there are a few options, I prefer full blown MSD but its expensive, many folks have done the TFI modification, you can also buy a distributor already done for this

steve
    Last edited by Tripwire; 02-12-2016, 04:38 PM.
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• asudchiman
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 03, 2016

Thanks Tripwire.
      In terms of budget, I just want the best setup I can get. I am not a carb guy, but my mechanic is a FSJ expert and has done both. As for me, I want to make the jeep as reliable as I can so my wife can drive it by just turning the key and going. This says FI to me. True or not?

If money was not an issue, what would you say is the ideal setup?

Any other mods you would suggest based on the desire to make the Jeep "turn key"?
      Current Jeep Fleet:
      Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by asudchiman
        Thanks Tripwire.
        As for me, I want to make the jeep as reliable as I can so my wife can drive it by just turning the key and going. This says FI to me. True or not?

If money was not an issue, what would you say is the ideal setup?

Any other mods you would suggest based on the desire to make the Jeep "turn key"?
        Agree on wife = FI, when mine was carb'd she hated it.

Many different options these days, with just as many opinions.
        Whatever system you choose be sure it does timing control.
        FI w/o timing control is a waste of $ in my opinion.
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• asudchiman
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 03, 2016

Originally posted by babywag
          Agree on wife = FI, when mine was carb'd she hated it.

Many different options these days, with just as many opinions.
          Whatever system you choose be sure it does timing control.
          FI w/o timing control is a waste of $ in my opinion.
          Thanks! This is eactly what I was wanting to know... More about what NOT to do! Other ideas welcomed.

What about brakes or other mods?
          Current Jeep Fleet:
          Four Wheel Trends

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

Pm me i will give you my number and we can chat....i have done 3 EFI conversions...
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

Working...
            X