• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Murderthon9000
    230 Tornado
    • Sep 04, 2014

4.0 and 727 kickdown cable

Howdy folks. I'm piecing together my 4.0 swap from a 4.2 (stroker in the works) and I'm wondering how any of you handled the kick down linkages.

I'll be mating a 4.0 to a 727, and the original kick down linkages aren't going to cut it.

I've done some searching this morning, and I saw some references to the Lokar Hi-tech cable but, being the thrifty man that I am, I'd like to avoid throwing money at the problem if I don't have to. I have the XJ that the engine is coming out of, is it possible to re-purpose the XJ's kickdown cable? If not, what's the best solution, and do you have part numbers?

I probably should just go outside and look but, after working a night shift, I'm simply too tired. I'd rather ask you folks who have actually had to face the problem.
  • Suddendeath
    327 Rambler
    • Dec 26, 2010

The 4.0 and the 4.2 aren't too different from an external standpoint, I'm suprrised the stock 4.2 kickdown linkage doesn't work. I would try to fab something up using the XJ 4.0 linkages.

However, on that same note, why are you going through the trouble of building a 4.0 -> 4.2 stroker and not taking the XJ transmission too? It will bolt up no questions, you'd get overdrive, etc, etc. Plus you'll already have the computer onboard to run the 4.0 stroker.
    1990 GW:
    Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
    10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• Murderthon9000
      230 Tornado
      • Sep 04, 2014

Originally posted by Suddendeath
      The 4.0 and the 4.2 aren't too different from an external standpoint, I'm suprrised the stock 4.2 kickdown linkage doesn't work. I would try to fab something up using the XJ 4.0 linkages.

However, on that same note, why are you going through the trouble of building a 4.0 -> 4.2 stroker and not taking the XJ transmission too? It will bolt up no questions, you'd get overdrive, etc, etc. Plus you'll already have the computer onboard to run the 4.0 stroker.
      The donor transmission is 2wd.

Comment

On that note, some AMC-listers back east are looking for 2wd AW4 autos. 4x4 ones are easy to come by.

Are you running carb or efi? Either way, the passing gear issue is solved with a Lokar passing gear cable for Mopar. You can make a bracket fit so it's pulling and you're good to go.

Here's the Lokar trans end attached so it pulls around the back of the trans.

NOTE: If you are running EFI, you can't use an AW4 flexplate on the 727 (it will kill the front pump due to depth change) You "should" be able to use a Grand Cherokee 42RE flexplate if you are running a 4.0L starter and the converter holes all line up. ('87+ torque converter holes are equidistant and prior ones aren't)

You will need a crank position sensor hole in the trans unless you are going with the front crank CPS kit (balancer and sensor) in which case you can run the original FSJ starter, flexplate, etc.
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Murderthon9000
          230 Tornado
          • Sep 04, 2014

Someone's looking for a 2wd auto trans? Out east? I'm in NC, if they want it and have the means to pull it, I'll be happy to sell it. I won't be using it.

And it looks like I'll be getting the lokar cable after all. Don't you just love money-spending surprises? I guess I'm looking for KD-2727HT, right?

And I think I'm prepared for dropping a 4.6 on the 727. I already have the hesco CPS relocation kit, and I bought a flexplate for a 91 wrangler so I can use the 4.0 starter. I've got ThisGuyUKnow working on the wiring harness for me, a hydroboost, master cylinder, and Elliot's spacer, an e2200 fuel pump (i think that's the model number, running off memory here) the VSS adapter and a recently-ordered speedo cable adapter from the fine folks at speedometersolutions.com, a rebuild kit on the way from mabbco, and an overflowing box of odds and ends in my basement. Hopefully I've thought far enough ahead here, but I'm welcome to any further warnings.

Things I need to get and/or do:
          Lokar kickdown cable
          wrangler/gc water pump for mech fan
          new intake and pvc valve stuff
          high pressure fuel lines
          vac lines that aren't 20 or 30 years old
          por-15 for the engine bay
          AMC Engine Blue hi-temp paint for the engine because thats awesome

Comment

The question is which trans. AW4 (XJs and many pre '95 ZJs) or 42RE (ZJs only) ?
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Murderthon9000
              230 Tornado
              • Sep 04, 2014

The donor is a 93 XJ 4.0l, so that would be an AW4, unless those vehicles came with something else. If you think it's something someone would want, pm me and I'll give you my email address to pass along.

Comment

• Zorm
                304 AMC
                • Apr 08, 1997

question for ya, what intake? I have the newer 2000 intake on my 4.6 stroker in my 83 and had to turn the hydro-boost unit upside down. Also don't forget to get or build a adjustable MAP sensor and a wide band 02 sensor along with the stock 02 sensor for better tuning.
                83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorm
                  question for ya, what intake? I have the newer 2000 intake on my 4.6 stroker in my 83 and had to turn the hydro-boost unit upside down. Also don't forget to get or build a adjustable MAP sensor and a wide band 02 sensor along with the stock 02 sensor for better tuning.
                  The tighter wrapped newer intake is supposed to clear the stock booster/master I was told?

Comment

• AMC-COMMANDO
                    232 I6
                    • May 28, 2014

Originally posted by Carnuck
                    The tighter wrapped newer intake is supposed to clear the stock booster/master I was told?
                    Is this true? Sure would be nice!
                    1975 J20
                    1972 Commando
                    1962 CJ3B U.S. Navy
                    1971 Hurst Jeepster

Comment

If I had one, I could tell you for sure on a couple hours (Need to swap out the current '93 HO intake to the one with my LPG "carb" anyways(

Comment

Working...
                      X