• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vickmorrow64
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2014

87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Oil Pump rebuild

Hello I am new to forum. Own two of these beauties, but neither are on the road yet. Has anyone done an Oil Pump rebuild? I had a mechanic check oil pressure and there is none - luckily FSJ has not been driven. He had to remove the alternator to get to the port on the block. Any tips/steps are appreciated. I ordered the oil pump rebuild kit form autozone today.

Midplate kit from Bulltear (also sold at http://BJsoffroad.com )
    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Strode
      1st Chair, Cowbell
      • Nov 08, 2011

Here's a couple I have bookmarked, the 1st one from Ristow here.

oil pump rebuild. off the engine. you can put new gears,midplate in with it on the engine,but anything more like i'll be doing requires removal of the cover,and then removal of the fuel and water pumps. here's the victim. 9 bolts hold the cover on. the big plug is the pressure relief valve assembly. if off the

Brad
      (*Allowed to post while failed 'I am not a Bot' test results are under appeal)

My build thread: 1982 Cherokee Laredo

Ristow's Bunker

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• vickmorrow64
        232 I6
        • Jun 12, 2014

Strode - thx for the links - takes the guesswork out of it

Comment

• Rich88
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by vickmorrow64
          Hello I am new to forum. Own two of these beauties, but neither are on the road yet. Has anyone done an Oil Pump rebuild? I had a mechanic check oil pressure and there is none - luckily FSJ has not been driven. He had to remove the alternator to get to the port on the block. Any tips/steps are appreciated. I ordered the oil pump rebuild kit form autozone today.
          What's interesting is info that's missing. Does the engine start and run at all?

A few things:

Your mechanic may never have seen a 360 before. Oil pressure is best checked at the oil pressure sensor port, and certainly does not require removal of the alternator. Otherwise, any competent mechanic would have been able to figure it out. You're paying for work he need not have done.

Another clue to no or very low pressure is if upon start-up you hear horrendous clacking from hydraulic lifters not being pumped up. Is such a noise present?

If you mean no oil pressure as in NO oil pressure (as in zero), if the oil pump is turning at all, it's a near impossiblility. More likely that the gearing between the driven oil pump shaft (Also connected to the distributor) is stripped. But then it wouldn't start either.

Its possible the over pressure bypass valve is stuck open, or its regulating spring broke. That could cause no oil pressure. But that's unlikely. If you do the OP overhaul, you'll still have no pressure.

Anyway, it can never hurt to get an OP overhaul kit, since if it doesn't need one now, it eventually will anyway. But I'd not bother unless I knew for sure there's really NO oil pressure, because likely there's something else going on.
          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

Working...
          X