• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • posulli88
    258 I6
    • Dec 18, 2016

Coolent Overflow Tank Bolt Location

For some reason my front radiator support does not have the punch out for the bolt on the coolant over flow tank and I want to install the BJ's offroad Aluminum tank I have for it.

How would you guys go about making that punch out? I was thinking small dremel with a cut off wheel for the flat parts then a bunch of tiny holes to create the half circle shape. Then go back in a file everything smooth. Thoughts? Can anyone give me dimensions so I can locate this in the correct space?

My front Radiator support without the punch out:

What I am trying to recreate:

77' J10 w/ 360, T18, Dana 20 TC
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

some never had the hole, cause they either did not have an overflow bottle or had a bag style on the inner fender panel, just cut it out.

Comment

• posulli88
      258 I6
      • Dec 18, 2016

Thanks Wiley. Man for some reason I thought these all had them. I just checked the TSM and it talks about the tube just dumping on thew road. Pretty funny. Might not install the tank now...

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
        350 Buick
        • Feb 15, 2010

unless this is a super restoration, I would install one anyways.

Comment

• babywag
          out of order
          • Jun 08, 2005

These systems will pull/push coolant from/into overflow with heat/cool cycles.
          A radiator that is overfilled will puke out excess.
          Same with a proper overflow tank they will puke out if overfilled and suck overflow dry if underfilled.
          Tony
          88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Curly5759
            232 I6
            • Mar 08, 2015

My77 Chero didn't have one. I bought a used tank from a member here, eyeballed the location of the tab and drilled a hole. Used a 90* aluminum bracket from the local Big box hardware store, attached bracket to sheet metal, attached tank to bracket. Not pretty but it works.
            77 Cherokee S 360/TH400/QT

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

the 74 did not have a tank as Tony said, it would puke coolant in the summer at every stop... got a cheapo at the car parts store , it comes with it own bracket

a good example on dabay: Universal Coolant bottle Recovery reservoir Radiator overflow bottle small size
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• posulli88
                258 I6
                • Dec 18, 2016

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I just needed a little nudge to cut haha. Here is what I ended up with. think it looks good. just need to get a hose nipple to connect the hose.

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
                  350 Buick
                  • Feb 15, 2010

perfect.

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 18, 2014

Your installation looks great. I am going to have to go the same route. I see that the overflow tank from BJ's has a place on top for the overflow tube. Is that the only fitting? Is there another on the bottom ? Thanks
                    Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
                    360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...

Comment

Working...
                    X