X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hammer
    304 AMC
    • Apr 25, 2002

Well, you can run the Ford T18 or NP435, but you are have to use the short input shaft and JUST the bellhousing.

It isn't really that hard to bend the shifter and cut a new hole for it.
    It's actually VERY easy.
    And in my book, not enough of a reason to not do the swap.
    Spend the spacer money on a doubler
    78 Chero, 38"s and minimal lift

Comment

• Bill Moore
      304 AMC
      • May 22, 2006

does the ford t18 and np435 have the same bolt up to the bell housing?
      DDs
      67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
      78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Hammer
        304 AMC
        • Apr 25, 2002

Yeah, the T15 and T18 BHs work fine. Some need to have one hole drilled, but that's easy.

Comment

• Elliott
          Cowboy Up
          • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by Cecil14
          Aren't there some output shaft length issues with the 208 vs. the 205, though? Seems like Scotty had discussed this a long while back....

aa
          Hmm, the on the Ford NP435 I think the shaft was the same between the 208 version and the 205 version tranny, but the adaptor for the 208 was an inch shorter so you'd have more stickout. Might have to add a spacer or cut the shaft down. I think Scotty cut the shaft down and lengthed the splines on it... IIRC, or somebody did.
          I'll be getting to this before long here, 'cept I'm modifying the adaptor to mate to a GM 205 using the Ford input.

Bill,
          As far as the bell housing goes, if you use a T176 bell the bolt holes match up.
          *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
          ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• scotty
            • Jun 12, 2000

ha ha im back! the discussion yall are remembering is regarding sticking a ford 205 onto the rear of a jeep t18 in place of the 208. the 208 and 205 have different stickouts on the input gear,leaving very little spline contact in the 205 gear when you slide it on. a friend of mine actually took a 2nd 205 input gear and welded them together and smoothed it all out real nice. it worked,and has worked for several years now. it could have also prolly been dealt with by tracking down or fabbing a shorter tranny to t case adapter.

on the matter at hand,sounds like yall have figured it out. im with hammer-just stick the whole jeep t18/20 into a corner in case you ever need it for something else(or i guess sell it to help finance the project) and swap in the ford 435/205,or even a ford t18/208 if you come across one of them cheap enuff.

the 4 inches your shifter will move forward really isnt that big a deal,and a ford reverse cut 60 is a plenty good reason to do it
            scotty
            85 grand wagoneer
            258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
            38" TSL SXs
            chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• shackwrrr
              360 AMC
              • Mar 04, 2006

what if you used a ford t-18 and put one of these

For Ford Style click here to add to cart The Ranger Torque Splitter is an auxiliary gear box that bolts in front of the standard Chevy, Ford and Land Cruiser 4 speed transmissions. This fully synchronized unit allows you to split your gears at any time. Just push in the clutch, grab the Ranger’s shift leverRead More

in front of it that would take care of the spacer problem. Its probably what I am going to do once if I can ever afford the setup
              Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• Bill Moore
                304 AMC
                • May 22, 2006

yup, love to have a couple of those
                DDs
                67 KJ715 4bt AA OD 465 np205
                78 J20 Chevy 305 nv4500 np205

Projects

Sons Build 1980 short bed J10, j20 axles, 4bt, nv4500, np205, shortened M715 bed and fenders

Freedom is not Free, it is paid for with Blood

Comment

• Hammer
                  304 AMC
                  • Apr 25, 2002

Originally posted by shackwrrr

For Ford Style click here to add to cart The Ranger Torque Splitter is an auxiliary gear box that bolts in front of the standard Chevy, Ford and Land Cruiser 4 speed transmissions. This fully synchronized unit allows you to split your gears at any time. Just push in the clutch, grab the Ranger’s shift leverRead More

in front of it that would take care of the spacer problem. Its probably what I am going to do once if I can ever afford the setup
                  I have the older/stronger Ranger OD with the iron case.
                  I have a Ford T18, fresh rebuild. 6 bolt adapter.

They are both just sitting.
                  I also have a GM NP205 with the 8 bolt racetrack pattern adapter and 27 spline male input.
                  I DO have the Ford 31 spline female input for the tcase, but even if I machine the tcase to take the bigger input, I still don't have a way to bolt the T18 to the NP205.

I have also though about a doubler setup, but this combo has been causing me headaches to figure out... So I will ignore it a little while longer

Comment

• Hammer
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 25, 2002

Oh yeah, with the RC Ford 60 in there, your front drive shaft angles might be ok if you only bolt the ford tranny directly to the BH.
                    Not sure on that one, but the extra height of the pinion can only help with this problem.

Comment

• toyjeep
                      258 I6
                      • Apr 11, 2006

Originally posted by shackwrrr

Unless you are going for he 27% OD model for highway use, that seems like a phenomenol amount of money for 17% under drive.
                      'Pepper' -- '77 Cherokee w/ 360/435/203/205/HP60/14B/42's

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                        350 Buick
                        • May 25, 2005

Originally posted by scotty

on the matter at hand,sounds like yall have figured it out. im with hammer-just stick the whole jeep t18/20 into a corner in case you ever need it for something else(or i guess sell it to help finance the project) and swap in the ford 435/205,or even a ford t18/208 if you come across one of them cheap enuff.

the 4 inches your shifter will move forward really isnt that big a deal,and a ford reverse cut 60 is a plenty good reason to do it
                        Originally posted by 4x4fEvEr
                        im pretty sure you cant mate anything to a jeep t-18. $500 bucks to adapt a dana 300. not sure about a 205. sell it and buy a NP435 easiest way.
                        i agree. im runnin a 435/205 works great and was an easy swap

Originally posted by Hammer
                        Oh yeah, with the RC Ford 60 in there, your front drive shaft angles might be ok if you only bolt the ford tranny directly to the BH.
                        Not sure on that one, but the extra height of the pinion can only help with this problem.
                        yes it does help but i still had to run a CV off the 205 and could use some 2degree shims as well, thats with rancho 44044 springs SOA though
                        77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

• Hammer
                          304 AMC
                          • Apr 25, 2002

Yeah, but running a CV on the front is just about a given anyways.
                          The rear shaft sees the MOST abuse, so give it the better angles, etc.

And yeah, you have a bit more lift then most (not all, just most).

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by scotty
                            ha ha im back! the discussion yall are remembering is regarding sticking a ford 205 onto the rear of a jeep t18 in place of the 208. the 208 and 205 have different stickouts on the input gear,leaving very little spline contact in the 205 gear when you slide it on. a friend of mine actually took a 2nd 205 input gear and welded them together and smoothed it all out real nice. it worked,and has worked for several years now. it could have also prolly been dealt with by tracking down or fabbing a shorter tranny to t case adapter.
                            Thanks for that... I'll look into this on mine and see if I can just shorten up the aluminum adaptor to get the spline length.
                            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

Working...
                            X