• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob Barry
    Jeep Doctor
    • Apr 09, 2000

16.5" wheels w/safety-bead, and updates on my Cherokee project

I got a set of Hummer 37"x12.5" Goodyear MT's for cheap to use as street-wheels for my Cherokee. I came across a set of 16.5"x6.75" factory steel wheels with a safety-bead to mount them on:

Despite the narrow width of the rims, they work beautifully with these tires, pinching in the sidewalls without too much pucker:

They tuck the wheels into the truck a lot better than my XML's, which reduce the attention-getting factor that I don't really need for everyday driving:

And with the safety-bead on the rim, I can even air them down for wheeling without having to switch out for my XML's.

I'll still want my XML's for dedicated trail-rides, however; they're substantially bigger than these 37's:

The project has been moving forward, however; the suspension is all set except for the shocks, the brakes need to be painted and installed, and then all that's left is the drivetrain. I was in the midst of refreshing a '73 Olds 455, but I'll be getting another 455 from a '72 Toronado from Mikel (whose M715 is going to have a different, but even more interesting, powertrain... ) which will probably be in better shape. Once that's confirmed, then it's just a matter of refreshing the tranny and setting up the drivetrain. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    1987 J-20
    Video projects for my J-20 on Youtube
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by Bob Barry:
    I got a set of Hummer 37"x12.5" Goodyear MT's for cheap to use as street-wheels for my Cherokee. I came across a set of 16.5"x6.75" factory steel wheels with a safety-bead to mount them on
    Righteous!

Coincidentally, what exactly constitutes "cheap" for some rims and tires like that?

Those 37s look like they will do just fine offroad
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• twisted frame
      350 Buick
      • Apr 01, 2003

Looking good, Bob! What is the safety bead on the new rims? Is that an edge on the rim that stands up straight as opposed to a rolled kind of edge?
      Mike
      1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
      44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
      Now in black primer.

Comment

• Bob Barry
        Jeep Doctor
        • Apr 09, 2000

Cheap= $150 for tires, and getting the rims free.

Twisted, the safety-bead is a "bump" on the inside of the wheel-shell about a 1/2" in from the lip of the rim. It is supposed to prevent the inside edge of the tire from sliding inward, allowing the tire to stay in place on the rim even if it loses all air pressure.

I found out today that a safety-bead on a 16.5" rims is not foolproof; one of my tires lost air, and I can push that bead into the tire with no resistance. I think I may have ONE rim that does not have that safety-bead; if so, I'll be on the prowl for a proper replacement rim.
        1987 J-20

Comment

• Ferrets
          232 I6
          • Feb 11, 2004

I would be real careful with those 16.5's It is my understanding that the 16.5 is the only american rim size *without* a safety bead. When I was looking for replacement tires for my 16.5 x6.75 rims, the *only* tire width matching them was the 16.5x950. I called BFgoodrich about the 31X10.5 for instance & they said no F'in way. ( & thats a quote !)

[ May 28, 2004, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: Ferrets ]
          '81 ex-Navy J20 w/ troop seats
          Looking for info on this vehicle

Comment

• zulu
            327 Rambler
            • Mar 24, 2004

i was under the same impression. everybody that i talk to here in tucson about 16.5 rims with a safety bead says there is no such thing. that size wheel is the only rim that doesnt have a bead, if there were any made i would have bought them a long time ago. i was also told that if i wanted to have a safety bead that i would have to go to 15 inch rims, but there might clearence problem with the caliper.
            77 cherokee s,360, mild cam, headers,3.54s dana 44 turbo 400 p/txfer case,conti 33x12.50x15 9000lbs warn winch<br /><br />78 j-20 original owner, 401+0.30,t-18, dana 20 4:10 gears,8274 warn winch ,<br /><br /> 70 international travelall, the beast, big and ugly, made out of steel<br /><br />ernie

Comment

• scotty
              • Jun 12, 2000

lookin good dr bob,glad you are having good progress

your rig looks bad *** with those XMLs on it

someday im gonna have an olds or buick 455 in my rig,but it will be alittle more complicated for me since i refuse to use a slushbox
              scotty
              85 grand wagoneer
              258/t18/d20/10 bolt/14 bolt
              38" TSL SXs
              chopped,bobbed and caged

http://nightcrawlers4wd.20megsfree.com/index.html\

http://mytrailrigs4x4.20megsfree.com/photo.html\

Comment

• twisted frame
                350 Buick
                • Apr 01, 2003

Thank you for describing the safety bead part of the rim.
                Mike
                1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
                44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
                Now in black primer.

Comment

• Bob Barry
                  Jeep Doctor
                  • Apr 09, 2000

MOST 16.5" rims don't use a safety-bead. In fact, AFAIK ALL aftermarket rims don't.

There are some factory steel rims that do, however. That's what I've got on my truck.

I'm going to take the tire that lost its inflation to the tire-shop tomorrow, and maybe I'll try and snap a pic of the rim w/o the tire on it so you can see the safety-bead.
                  1987 J-20

Comment

• Bob Barry
                    Jeep Doctor
                    • Apr 09, 2000

OK, I don't have a picture of the 16.5" rims with the safety-bead, but there is a picture in the following thread:

Seems the wheels come from a '70's Ford, made by Firestone. I've only seen them in 16.5"x6.75" size, though some report the existence of 16.5"x8.25" rims with the safety-bead as well.
                    1987 J-20

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

Yep, they exist, just found two out back.
                      16.5 x 6 with a Dodge emblem stamped on it.
                      16.5 x 6.5 with no markings that I can find.

[ June 02, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: tadsal ]
                      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Ferrets
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 11, 2004

My 81 J20 has those mini beads on all four of its stock 16.5 x 6.75s. The angle the tire meets the rim is totally different on a 16.5, I heard it was done to carry heavy loads - mine orignally had load range E goodyear workhorse bias plys on it.
                        '81 ex-Navy J20 w/ troop seats
                        Looking for info on this vehicle

Comment

• Panther
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 13, 2000

Hey Bob, I was just checking on the status of you chero, noticed the site was down a couple days ago but is back up. Looks good, the axles are sweet. I'm looking at 37x12.5x15 MTRs for my scrambler once I have enough $ saved up. Have you decided on a motor yet?

Comment

• Bob Barry
                            Jeep Doctor
                            • Apr 09, 2000

Hey, thanks Leland! For some reason my server deleted my entire Cherokee directory, but I uploaded it all back up.

As for a motor, I have a choice between two 455's; a '72 Toro motor with 70k on it, or a '73 big-car motor that I had begun to tear down for a bearing and gasket job. I'll be starting with the Toro motor and redoing the '73 motor if I need to.

What's up with your Cherokee; did you sell it yet?
                            1987 J-20

Comment

• Panther
                              350 Buick
                              • Aug 13, 2000

I'm keeping the cherokee. I realized it's a buyers market and don't want to sell as low as some of the other nice WTs I have seen go fairly cheap on here. I start a new job in Waltham tomorrow and it's my DD, just need to get the AC going [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I'll be checking on your progress, that chero looks awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X