• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flippy02
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 01, 2010

Smog ?'s

Just tried to get my 87 waggy smogged with little luck. i'm unsure of the guys who smogged it because i don't know how they did it but managed to trip a CEL on my Howell tbi kit, and luckily they didn't notice it.

I figured out I need to adjust the timing, and i'm suspecting an exhaust leak from just before the o2 sensor, and i'm thinking i should always do plugs and wires.
    anything else that can be suggested?

here's my set up I installed a Howell TBI kit for a stock amc 360 with edelbrock headers

a rebuilt 360 with a rv cam

I appreciate the help so much
    1987 Grand Wagoneer 360
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Is this a Howell kit with a CARB number? They should help you, if it does not conform.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• Flippy02
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 01, 2010

it does have a CARB# i shot them an email, but currently i'm looking at maybe i need new plugs and wires, check my timing, and hopefully not an exhaust leak just before the o2 sensor
      1987 Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• csuengr
        327 Rambler
        • Jan 19, 2011

It is running way, WAY rich. If the CEL was on, then the system may have been in limp mode. With those numbers, the exhaust should be burning your eyes.
        If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• Flippy02
          230 Tornado
          • Jul 01, 2010

I have the CEL for the kit installed under the dash, and he left the door open when running on the dyno, the CEL wasn't on for me, and hasn't been on, but i noticed it turned on while the tech was running it on the dyno, and was off again when i was leaving and hasn't come back on since, i just wish i had an obd1 cable to read the computer to see what he did. the exhaust smelled clean to me. lol
          1987 Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• budryzer
            232 I6
            • Sep 23, 2012

Hopefully someone else will chime in on this one but I'm thinking the test was done improperly.
            85 GW 360/2v
            SOA/SF 36's
            68 AMX
            04 BMW 325
            85 FLT
            77 Hercules 250
            ASUS laptop with theamcfurom.com as homepage

Comment

• Flippy02
              230 Tornado
              • Jul 01, 2010

I'm starting to think the same thing.
              1987 Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• csuengr
                327 Rambler
                • Jan 19, 2011

An OBD-I code reader is a paperclip, or some other sort of jumper wire.
                If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

Comment

• Flippy02
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jul 01, 2010

Shows how much I know
                  1987 Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

From the NOx numbers, timing about 5 degrees too advanced. Do you have the O2 sensor? It may be reading too slow.
                    Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• mgmann
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 12, 2007

Timing and exhaust smell

I live in a state where smog is not an issue and no checks are done. However, I recently did some distributor work and have been monkeying around with the timing trying to get my 88 gw back to normal. I've got it running pretty well, but the exhaust has a sharp sort of smell that burns my eyes and doesn't seem quite right. I've got it timed to +12 degrees and live at abut 4,500 feet altitude. Any thoughts?

Comment

Anyone near you have a gas analyzer?
                        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• 4x4Dad
                          258 I6
                          • Aug 19, 2008

Not sure this will help, but when I got my rig smogged two months ago, the smog guy said he had to "heat the bleep" out of the cat to get it to pass. He said universal cats don't last more than a couple tests (3-4 years). Perhaps your cat is old.
                          Tucker

88 GW, AMC 360 with Doug Thorley headers, Howell TBI, NP242, TF727, 3.31 gears and the tow package, Magnaflow muffler and cat, BJ's 4" springs + 2" blocks and 1" shackles, and 1" body lift, 32" BFG's, aluminum rad, K20 front brake calipers.

My Jeep has tricked me into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Comment

• mgmann
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 12, 2007

No big deal......

Thanks guys. Just curious what that might be. Doesn't affect the way the beast runs and since Montana doesn't have any laws regarding smog I'm not going to worry about it. If they did I'd be in a world of hurt since I removed the air pump and all related goodies once the lines going to the exhaust manifold rusted shut. Another example of the government hurting little guys who are just trying to enjoy life a bit.

Comment

If you removed the AIR pump but not the cat, I know what the smell is!

Comment

Working...
                              X