Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

don't matter. put it together and run it. if you look at the slot,you can usually see scratch marks from the roll pin.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• FSJ Guy
      • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by aerocorey
      Eeh...my bad, I just read that again and I came off a Lil harsh. Didn't seem like that in my head when I typed it.
      No worries, Cory!

I would just try to retime the engine the old fashioned way by turning the engine to TDC and dropping in the distributor and lining it up.
      Ethan Brady
      1987 Grand Wagoneer, slightly longer than stock.

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Don't mess with me. I once killed a living hinge.

Comment

• aerocorey
        304 AMC
        • Oct 14, 2006

Originally posted by FSJunkie
        Cam sensors on the newer Jeep 2.5, 4.0, 5.2, 5.9, and probably a few others were inside the distributor, under the rotor, and read the on-off pules from a one-bladed reluctor ring to tell the ECM when to fire which spark plug and fuel injector.

FSJ's have a sensor in the same place on an 8-bladed reluctor ring to tell the (primitive) ECM when to fire which spark plug. It serves a very similar purpose.

The difference is the distributor on newer engines is locked into place, so the distributor position correlates directly to camshaft position, hence why the sensor in the distributor is called the camshaft position sensor. On our FSJ engines, the distributor can be rotated independently of the camshaft, so the distributor sensor has no correlation to camshaft position. It is merely a distributor position sensor, pickup coil, trigger coil, whatever you want to call it.
        Sigh...really? You're gonna tell me that it's a completely different sensor from one engine to another based on whether or not the distributer body is capable of being rotated? Ok, dude, you got me. I have no idea what I'm talking about. You should probably talk to me like I'm stupid and pick apart the totally legit advice I gave to OP which was immediately followed by someone else giving the same advice.

I guess this is what IFSJA turned into while I was overseas for a few years. Y'all have a nice day.
        Corey

Current
        87 GW "Big Bear"
        76 J20 project "Ox"
        90 GW parts rig "Velma"
        77 J10 parts rig "NoMo" (as in "no more Jeeps, Corey!")
        94 YJ "Coop"

Past
        88 GW "Hercules" (had to sell in '08, curious who has it now)
        83 Wag parts rig "Shaggy" (used to build Herc, then scrapped)
        73 J4000 (had to sell due to PCS in '07)
        75 Cherokee "Jerry Lee" (sold in '13 because I'm an idiot)
        74 Cherokee "Dino" (used to build Jerry Lee, then scrapped)

Comment

Incorrect taxonomy aside, it sort of works the same way. With EFI cam sensor housings are generally stationary (with either a rotating signal generator or a hall effect sensor that reads a tone ring) and most are non-adjustable as they tell the computer excatly when the motor is at TDC and how far it is from TDC intake stroke to control fuel injection.

The Jeep ignition pickup is a hall effect sensor that sends pulses to a transistorized ignition box to control spark only and not differentiate between which cylinder. The ignition rotor controls what cylinder gets the spark at the cap. The pickup coil just tells the ignition when to make a pulse and it doesn't know or care which cylinder. In that way it's more like a crank position sensor.
          Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• mgmann
            232 I6
            • Jun 12, 2007

This is drving me nuts!

This is driving me crazy! I?ve replaced distributors many times, and never had this kind of problem. Set timing mark to TDC, rotor pointing to #1 wire, position of the distributor is identical to what it always was but all I can get is a back fire. I move the distributor a few degrees one way or the other and it still doesn?t work.

I?m on the verge of just going out and buying a new distributor but first I?ll see if anyone can give me some hint as to what might be going on.

Thanks again??..

Comment

Originally posted by mgmann
              This is driving me crazy! I’ve replaced distributors many times, and never had this kind of problem. Set timing mark to TDC, rotor pointing to #1 wire, position of the distributor is identical to what it always was but all I can get is a back fire. I move the distributor a few degrees one way or the other and it still doesn’t work.

I’m on the verge of just going out and buying a new distributor but first I’ll see if anyone can give me some hint as to what might be going on.

Thanks again……..
              You are 180 degrees out of time. Pull the dist and turn the rotor directly away from where it is now and it should fire right up. You are currently firing as the air/fuel mix is going in.
              Last edited by Carnuck; 07-05-2013, 09:34 AM.
              Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                • Mar 20, 2005

Originally posted by mgmann
                This is driving me crazy! I?ve replaced distributors many times, and never had this kind of problem. Set timing mark to TDC, rotor pointing to #1 wire, position of the distributor is identical to what it always was but all I can get is a back fire. I move the distributor a few degrees one way or the other and it still doesn?t work.

I?m on the verge of just going out and buying a new distributor but first I?ll see if anyone can give me some hint as to what might be going on.

Thanks again??..
                X2 on it being out of sync 180 degrees.

Here's how to correct it:

With everything as is (distributor being installed 180 degrees out, engine backfire, etc):

Disconnect the battery
                Turn the crank so that the timing mark on the balancer reads "TDC" and the distributor is pointing at the #1 plug.

THIS position is actually 180 degrees out of sync. NOW, turn the crank ONE REVOLUTION to "TDC" again.

VERY IMPORTANT: ONLY TURN IT ONCE!!!!

Now you will observe that the distributor is NOT pointing to the #1 plug at all. This is good. (at the moment.)

Next, PULL the distributor out and re-insert it so that it is pointing at the #1 plug.

Snug the distributor hold-down bolt a bit, but not too tight that you can't turn the distributor a little bit. (for timing it later).

Re-connect the battery. Hook up your timing light. Fire it up and time it as you would normally (engine at operating temp, distributor advance removed and vacuum line plugged).

Don't worry. I've had this happen to me, too, and I had to have someone remind me that there are two "top dead centers".
                Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• mgmann
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 12, 2007

Hanging my head in shame......

Yup, I was so rattled that I didn't bother to check if #1 was on the compression stroke. Obviously it wasn't. Got the beast running and timed. Had it idling for half an hour with ac on and so far it's still going. Sure hope this is the end of this hassle. If so I learned a lot. If not......back to the drawing board.

Comment

• 4x4Dad
                    258 I6
                    • Aug 19, 2008

This board has some very helpful chaps, and threads like this remind me of how great a community this is to be a part of.
                    Tucker

88 GW, AMC 360 with Doug Thorley headers, Howell TBI, NP242, TF727, 3.31 gears and the tow package, Magnaflow muffler and cat, BJ's 4" springs + 2" blocks and 1" shackles, and 1" body lift, 32" BFG's, aluminum rad, K20 front brake calipers.

My Jeep has tricked me into thinking I know what I'm doing.

Comment

• FSJ Guy
                      • Mar 20, 2005

Excellent news!
                      Ethan Brady

www.bigscaryjeep.com

Comment

• mgmann
                        232 I6
                        • Jun 12, 2007

Thanks for everything

Got the beast back up and running. Took it for a long drive today with no problems. Guess the sensor in the distributor was the problem all along. I am now a much wiser dude. Thanks for everything guys.

Comment

• bull4377
                          258 I6
                          • Mar 09, 2005

I'm just stoked to see another Montanan on here
                          2013 Dodge Durango R/T AWD-Hers
                          2000 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins-D.D.
                          1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 6" BJ's lift and 33's
                          1981 Jeep Wagoneer Limited
                          1981 Jeep J-10 Laredo new 401 6" BJs on the way
                          1980 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 401
                          1980 Jeep CJ-5 Laredo 304