• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cwisnoski
    232 I6
    • Sep 04, 2003

Windows comes down but wont go up

I have an 84 GW, and the tailgate window goes down fine, but it usually doesnt want to go back up on the first try. After messing with the switch for a few minutes it will usually go back up.

Does this sound like an issue with the dash switch ? The saftey switch in the tailgate ? or maybe something else ?

Has anyone else had this issue ? can you point to a good place to start ?

T.I.A
    Chris
    cwisnoski-at-comcast.net
    87 Grand Wagoneer #projectbuddha
    2012 JKU
  • 2Stock
    232 I6
    • Aug 09, 2001

This was common with my '84. On mine, it was a matter of taking off the carpet cover, removing the inspection plate on the tailgate and lubricating the arm and slot where the window is attached with lithium grease.
    1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• Thunder Struck

I had the same thing happen on my 75 waggy it ended up being the safety switch was out of adjustment.

Comment

• 2Stock
        232 I6
        • Aug 09, 2001

Oh yea, I forgot to say that, in order to get to the slot, you may have to bump the window up with the tailgat down. In order to do this, you have to fool the safety switch which is a lever in the door jamb. ie. hold the lever and bump the window up with the key switch. Careful not to over extend it.

Good Luck.
        1980 Cherokee WT 258/T176/208/3:31 TRAC-LOK<br />-------------------------------<br />I would rather pay for gas and material<br />than for principal and interest.

Comment

• cwisnoski
          232 I6
          • Sep 04, 2003

Let me clarify more.

The window will go up via the tailgate key.

Can just the UP part of the dash switch go bad. The window will go down with the dash switch, just not up.

So it would seem the saftey swutch and all the inner workings of the window/tailgate work ok.

So should I just replace the switch ? How big of a job is replacing it ??

T.I.A.
          Chris
          87 Grand Wagoneer #projectbuddha
          2012 JKU

Comment

• 2Stock
            232 I6
            • Aug 09, 2001

If you want to find out if a switch is working, pop it out so you can see both (or more) leads going to it. Get a continuity tester bulb or a meter and figure out which lead does what by testing it with the key on. I don't know the configuration of that particular switch but when you have it in your hand, certain alternatives should be apparent. Basically, it is the switches job to provide a connection between + and -. On one end of a lead is a switch and at the other end is a contact point on a motor. You connect + to - on one part of the motor and the window goes up...on another part of the motor and the window goes down. This may be done by getting the motor to turn in different directions. The job of the safety switch is to make it impossible to make the +- connection at the motor by opening the circut.

Certainly it is no problem to replace a switch by popping it out of its housing and pulling the leads off and putting them onto the new switch in the same order. But that may not solve the problem and you will be back at square one again. It is unusual for a switch to just go bad unless it has been abused or has some corrosion on the contacts in the switch. You could try shooting some contact cleaner on the contacts if you suspect the switch. Or you could operate the switch several times to try to make the contacts clean themselves.

HTH [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
            X