• Show
Clear All
  • Carleysjeep
    350 Buick
    • Apr 06, 2009

Looking good Ryan!
    Dan Rowe

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
    I don't think an apology is needed. Most of us are pretty opinionated even when we are wrong.
    84 Wagoneer 4" lift 32x11.5
    77 J 20 Chevy 350 35x12.5
    89 Cherokee 3" lift 31x10.5

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

thank! Hope to have it at Ouray next year!
      Originally posted by Carleysjeep
      Looking good Ryan!
      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
        Rabble Rouser
        • Feb 29, 2004

Gah...I planned on having this done this time LAST year..but decided to go 3/4 ton while it was under the knife.

Anyways that's a GM HD44 4.09 8 lug set up for high steer (although I'm starting to wonder if I'll need a spacer..won't know. No one's posted about ever doing this swap while keeping the outboard 2" springs..we'll see soon).

It's all rolled in the garage, next step is to drop the old 44, fit the awesome Tad 2" perches on the Hd44, and see what lines up.

Rear is getting a D60..thought I had a perfect coming from a member, but that's obviously not happening, so going to use a dodge one I have that came sans brakehardware a few years ago from another member (gee thanks man). Pricing ready to go loaded drum backing plates at 400 dollars, it's same amount to do a disc brake conversion (70 for brackets, 150 for loaded calipers, 80 for rotors and toss in another 30 or so for misc crap). It'll need a 1310 yoke and perches welded on that too (have Tad's 7" antiwrap 1" lift ones for that...burly units to say the least).

Time to start grindin' and tack weldin'. Ouray 2010 or Bust
        The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• grand_wag_85
          Murphy's Law Poster Child
          • Dec 03, 2003

Lookin' good!
          You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
          '88 GW
          '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• men in black
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 08, 2006

I hope that's not a couch in the back
            1990 Grand Wagoneer.. black with sand interior..
            Razor grille, Hella H4 headlights, Piaa driving, LED spider taillights, tinted windows.
            Full Corinthian leather front and rear seats, custom full length center console with cup holders. 100 sf of Rattle Trap on floor.
            Edelbrock intake and 2132 cam, Howell TBI, Ford Distributor Cap, TFI Ignition Coil, Desmogged

Comment

• Long&Low
              350 Buick
              • Jan 03, 2008

I ran one of those air cleaners back in the day, one on a Lincoln and two on a tunnel ram set up on a 440. Be careful with back fires, if that is the original foam element than do catch on fire.....

Truck looks good.
              Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
              '18 Jeep Renegade
              '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

• JeepBountyHunter
                GrimJeeperReaper
                • Jul 08, 2002

Whoa now that's gonna look really good!
                1992 Cherokee XJ Laredo

Comment

• Gambler68
                  Rabble Rouser
                  • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by men in black
                  I hope that's not a couch in the back

:P no, but I need a couch! Spare headliner panels.

Thanks guys. Itchin to get this piggy done! I can't believe how much oil can leak out of a 327 over 2 years..there must be a hidden 55 gallon drum in there somewhere.
                  Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Casey
                    • Oct 08, 2003

I picked up a Dodge D60 to throw under my J truck and realized after that it isn't wide enough between the backing plates to clear the springs. IIRC there is 53" from outside to outside on the truck springs. That put the perches dang near against the backing plates on the Dodge truck D60.

You did measure that..right?
                    1994 YJ
                    1986 Comanche
                    '57 FC-150

Carolina Full Size Jeep Club
                    www.cfsjc.com

www.patriotguard.org

Originally posted by Jeepstress
                    "Go forth and be a tool".
                    Originally posted by 78 Wagoneer
                    This year for ECI I got a Jeep. Pretty important upgrade.

Comment

• Gambler68
                      Rabble Rouser
                      • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Casey

I picked up a Dodge D60 to throw under my J truck and realized after that it isn't wide enough between the backing plates to clear the springs. IIRC there is 53" from outside to outside on the truck springs. That put the perches dang near against the backing plates on the Dodge truck D60.

You did measure that..right?

Hmm..think I did. Pretty sure I came up with 55 or so. I'll recheck that..originally got it for putting under my Cherokee. I am going to do a disc brake conversion on it..the dodge hubs wrap back in towards the spring (fat lip). I know when I compared to the j10 d44 it was .5 inch narrower so called it good.
                      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• SVO42
                        350 Buick
                        • Aug 27, 2003

Lookin' good!

Man, everyone is getting or showing off their J-trucks and I already want one (J-20). You guys just keep adding to the fire!

Ryan, even though it looks like you already have an axle, have you considered a Sterling axle from a Ford? I'm using one for my Explorer. The one I have (SRW F-350) is 66.5" WMS-WMS. Not sure about the spring pad spacing--I can probably check this weekend if you want. Sterling bonuses: beefy, common, don't have to pull hubs to do brakes! The one I got was already a 4.10 ratio. It's getting 5.38s, though.
                        Last edited by SVO42; 11-02-2009, 11:30 AM.
                        Bryan's vehicles at the Joplin (Full Size) Jeep Refuge:
                        1988 Grand Wagoneer (on extended loan)
                        1988 Grand Wagonner (tornado victim)
                        1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
                        1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by SVO42
                          Lookin' good!

Man, everyone is getting or showing off their J-trucks and I already want one (J-20). You guys just keep adding to the fire!

Ryan, even though it looks like you already have an axle, have you considered a Sterling axle from a Ford? I'm using one for my Explorer. The one I have (SRW F-350) is 66.5" WMS-WMS. Not sure about the spring pad spacing--I can probably check this weekend if you want. Sterling bonuses: beefy, common, don't have to pull hubs to do brakes! The one I got was already a 4.10 ratio. It's getting 5.38s, though.

I hadn't considered it no. Not a bad idea, but I sorta like the idea of running the same discs front and rear, GM 3/4 ton stuff. Also, does the ford use standard 8 lug pattern like chevy and dodge? (although I found the dang studs on the dodge axle are smaller, those need to be pounded out and replaced, which isn't a bad idea anyways to use longer ones).
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• SVO42
                            350 Buick
                            • Aug 27, 2003

Originally posted by Gambler68
                            Also, does the ford use standard 8 lug pattern like chevy and dodge?
                            Up until '99, yes. 8 on 6.5". With the advent of the "Superduty" moniker in '99 it went to 8 on 170mm. The shafts are nice and beefy, too. 1.5" diameter and 35 spline.
                            Bryan's vehicles at the Joplin (Full Size) Jeep Refuge:
                            1988 Grand Wagoneer (on extended loan)
                            1988 Grand Wagonner (tornado victim)
                            1987 Grand Wagoneer (formerly mine, now my dad's, also a tornado victim)
                            1994 Ford Explorer XL rollin' on 1-tons and 40s

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by SVO42
                              Up until '99, yes. 8 on 6.5". With the advent of the "Superduty" moniker in '99 it went to 8 on 170mm. The shafts are nice and beefy, too. 1.5" diameter and 35 spline.

Interesting, I will keep that open as an option. Certainly are tons of Fords out here.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                                Rabble Rouser
                                • Feb 29, 2004

One more step done..time for lunch!

Man it looked so cool with the 315/75/16 rollers under there, filled up them M715 wheelwheels alot better than 30's

just some fuzzy blackberry pics best I could get in the garage. Tie rod should clear but it looks like I'm in the market for a spacer for the steering arm. At least the studs are long enough to put one on..they'll be flush with the top of the stud end but this isn't a daily driver.

next step..fit in and tack the 1" lift lift perches...with the outboard 2" FSJ springs I have about 5 inches from center of spring pack bolt to the first inner weld behind the knuckles on the tube..plenty of room up front

Haven't figured out shock tabs, prolly weld on some later
                                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                                X