• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ScottyR
    230 Tornado
    • Dec 18, 2002

Lift needed for 35's on 74 Cherokee??

I am getting a 74 Cherokee in alsmost stock configuration as far as lift. I want to place 35's under it and don't want to do a SOA. I am looking at a Skyjacker 4" Suspension but what Body lift and fender mods need to be done? Does anyone make a cutout fender flare for the FSJ because I don't mind doing a MINOR body mod. I like the setup for the flares on the later FSJ WT. Any help and info would be appreciated. Also, what about doing a Shackel reversion on the front as they do with the CJ series jeeps? Thanks
  • Stuka
    • Jan 21, 2001

with a NT you need the 4" suspension, 3" body, and a sawzall to clearance the fenders some. A SOA would be a lot less work that a shackle reversal.

BUT...

as a side note the rear springs from any 4" suspension setup wont work with your jeep. You can do as I did and do a shackle flip in back. I have 4" front springs, and a shackle flip and 2" blocks in back. The back sits higher then the front for me.

Comment

• ScottyR
      230 Tornado
      • Dec 18, 2002

Why won't the rear springs work from Skyjacker? Per their website, their lift kit is for 74 on up FSJ's?

Comment

• Stuka
        • Jan 21, 2001

they are wrong. Common mistake unfortunately. AMC used the old style post mount rear springs on wag's and chero's through 75. 76 is when they changed.

You rear springs should look like this, but pointing down. As I have flipped mine:

Comment

• jeepguzzi
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Oct 21, 2000

Is your Cherokee a 2 door or a 4 door? If it is a 2 door, you could get some flares for the rear and trim it just like the later wide tracs. Swapping fenders in the front is all you need to do. That way, all you would need is 4" of lift. Or you could go 6" front springs plus a shackle flip.
          79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• Gwamp
            High Tech Redneck
            • Mar 08, 2002

Here is a pic of my 75 W/ 4inch front spring lift/shackle flip rear & blocks 3 inch body lift and about 4 inches of fender trimming. Needs a bit more trimming, but not much. Everyone is right about trhe 74 and 75 waggies. they still used the post mounts springs in hte rear. The fronts springs will fit just fine however.

75 wagoneer
            Roll up on you like Eastwood...

Comment

• ScottyR
              230 Tornado
              • Dec 18, 2002

Thanks for the info. Where do I get the information on the spring flip? Who would have the best rear replacement springs to go with this? This is a 2 DR version so who would have replacement front fenders or does another vehicles flares fit to it with a little trimming? IL law says I can only have 2" out from under the fenders so with the 35's I will need something to cover them. What kits would yuo all recommend to get this done? I have built up several CJ's and had an 80 Cherokee Chief that was already lifted. This is my first build on a FSJ from the bottom up. Thanks for all your info..........

ScottyR

Gwamp,
              Awesome truck. That is what I am looking to do with mine.

Comment

• Stuka
                • Jan 21, 2001

the rear shackle flip is very easy. you just unbol the rear eye of the spring, rotate the shackle around, then bolt it back up. Replacing the fenders is very easy. easier then cutting and fitting fender flares from another vehicle. WT flares will fit the rear with some trimming as well.

Comment

• Mavawreck
                  360 AMC
                  • Jan 02, 2003

how much lift is needed if you dont cut?
                  1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153928

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by BobthaBuilder:
                    how much lift is needed if you dont cut?
                    What Fits & What Hits
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• ScottyR
                      230 Tornado
                      • Dec 18, 2002

Thanks for the info....This helps a lot.....Looking forward to it now....ScottyR

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Oct 21, 2000

ScottyR, Where are you in IL? If you are close to Chicago, maybe I can help??

As far as the front fenders, any off of a J truck or Wide trac Cherokee will work. As far as covering up the 35's, how wide are they?? If they are 12.5" wide, the wide trac treatment will more than cover them. Those flares are about 3-4" wide.
                        79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• ChuckWag
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 24, 2002

Hi, Guys! It's great to see all of you helping out a new member, just like many other members helped me and Blake when we started our rebuild on his '85 GW. ScottyR's new truck? It's Tweety-Bud! My '74 Chero has found a new home, and from my conversations with Scott, he's a good guy who can also bring alot of knowledge and experience to this board. Welcome, Scott...and best of luck with your Chero project!

Charles Russell...aka ChuckWag
                          ChuckWag: 1988 GW with
                          3" Rough Country Lift
                          NP208
                          The rest is pretty much Stock!

Comment

• ScottyR
                            230 Tornado
                            • Dec 18, 2002

Chuckwag,
                            Thanks. Look forward to making her into my vision.

Jeepguzzi,
                            Braidwood, IL (25 S of Joliet) and look forward to the help if your offering.

Tadsal,
                            Thanks for the info. Much needed.

Plans are: 4" suspension, 3" body, 35" tires w/ 10" wheels, Making a go anywhere trail machine that can get me home and still be used as a daily driver. Color has to stay YELLOW..

Comment

• Mavawreck
                              360 AMC
                              • Jan 02, 2003

thanks tadsal
                              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                              http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=153928

1996 T100 SR5

Comment

Working...
                              X