• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duckjeep
    232 I6
    • Apr 13, 2000

Engine Rebuild or Reman Question

Hey All,
    Hope someone can help me. I'm considering either replacing my blown engine in my 84 gw with a remanufactured engine or doing a local rebuild. From threads here I learned of some good reman engines (like Jasper) but alot of people recommended getting a good local rebuild shop to do it. Despite the good warranty, I don't want to pay the exorbadent price for a Jasper ($3,100) expecially considering that alot of the components that come with a Jasper (like water pump, fuel pump, hoses, etc) I don't need. I just need a long block to switch into my grand wag. Here's my problem. Never having used a rebuild shop, how do I know whether the rebuild shop is going to do a good job? If anyone can clue me on on what questions I should ask them, or what parts I need to get new, or any other advice, I would appreciate it. By the way, I plan on keeping my jeep for the long haul.

Also, I am trying to find a good reputable shop in south Florida that's been around for awhile. And has anybody had any experience with Powerpro, who wants $1,600 for a 360 longblock.

Thanks much,
    Dean
    Duckjeep
    [email protected]
  • will e
    Always Broke
    • Nov 16, 2001

Hey,
    check your local BBB.

Also, in the general section, post 'Need good shop in Lauderdale FL to rebuild my engine'. This will get more people to see what you are looking for and you might get a good response (or even better, a warning!!)
    82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Jan
      232 I6
      • Nov 27, 2004

Hi duckjeep,

do a forum search on powerpro, there are many reports on these engines.

Cheers

jan
      1987 GW (rebuilt 360, 0.03 over, Comp cam 256 XE cam, 9.0:1 pistons, Bulltear oil pump with nickel-plated timing cover and American perf. back oiling mod, MSD 6T)

Comment

• Pman
        350 Buick
        • Apr 24, 2004

$3,100.00 for a Jasper long block??? Holy shnikees!!

Is that what they're getting for 360CID's? I'd shop around.

I know it's not the same engine, but my 258 rebuild was 1,200.00 from Recon.
        Pearsall Smith
        82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
        88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
        81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
        82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• Pman
          350 Buick
          • Apr 24, 2004

Maybe the Jasper price included installation?

I somehow missed the part of your post that mentioned Powerpro. That is who Advance Autoparts uses as their supplier. I bought a Recon rebuild from Advance for my Wrangler 3 years ago. It's held up well (although I did have to use the warranty about 15 miles into the installation. They used the wrong size head bolts and I blew a head gasket right after the installation). I'm wondering if PowerPro is the same outfit, just rebadged?

[ April 26, 2005, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Pman ]
          Pearsall Smith
          82 Wagoneer Limited (Cracker)-360 c.i.d.,Rusty's 4" Lift, Rancho RS9000x Shocks, TFI Upgrade, BFG 31" All Terrains
          88 Wrangler Laredo (Tubbles)-258 c.i.d.,33" BF Goodrich Mud Terrains,3.5" lift, 8000lb. Warn Winch, Aussie Locker (Front)
          81 CJ 5 (Lulu)-304-T150-D20
          82 CJ 8 Scrambler- 258-T5-D300

Comment

• 88GW
            258 I6
            • Nov 21, 2000

Check these guys out. http://www.sandsengines.com/#
            I bought mine from them a year ago and motor is great. Cost about 1600 with freight to NY.
            SOLD the 88GW and replaced with an Expedition. Still love JEEPS and will get another soon.

Comment

• GED
              258 I6
              • May 20, 2002

For me, Jasper was at around $4000.
              Mechanics around me wanted $3700 for a block from the dealer.

I started thinking that the dealer was taking a commission on what he was getting from Chrysler. Chrysler is a company building new cars. I doubt they are interested into remanufacturing old engines like the AMC 360. I believe they outsource all their work to someone else. My current guess is that this someone else is S&S engine.

I hesitated between powerpro & S&S engine, and finally went with S&S engine for ~$1330 for a long block and $170 shipping to california. Ordered block on Monday, received in my garage on Thursday. When I called to order, they made sure of which bolts my exhaust manifolds are equipped (all same, or a mix).

The block is still on its crate, so so far the only thing I could say about its quality is that oil has leaked on the crate proving that they tested it under oil pressure after remanufacturing it.

S&S engine is at: S&S engine general site
              Gilles-Eric
              "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

• GED
                258 I6
                • May 20, 2002

Funny: your www.sandsengine.com is the same company as my S&S: they have the same phone number: (800) 942-7800
                Gilles-Eric
                "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

• 88GW
                  258 I6
                  • Nov 21, 2000

Originally posted by GED:
                  For me, Jasper was at around $4000.
                  Mechanics around me wanted $3700 for a block from the dealer.

I started thinking that the dealer was taking a commission on what he was getting from Chrysler. Chrysler is a company building new cars. I doubt they are interested into remanufacturing old engines like the AMC 360. I believe they outsource all their work to someone else. My current guess is that this someone else is S&S engine.

I hesitated between powerpro & S&S engine, and finally went with S&S engine for ~$1330 for a long block and $170 shipping to california. Ordered block on Monday, received in my garage on Thursday. When I called to order, they made sure of which bolts my exhaust manifolds are equipped (all same, or a mix).

The block is still on its crate, so so far the only thing I could say about its quality is that oil has leaked on the crate proving that they tested it under oil pressure after remanufacturing it.

S&S engine is at: S&S engine general site
                  S&S worked out well for me, and yes that is the same company. Very knowledgeable and friendly and you get simulated oil pressure tests with the motor.
                  SOLD the 88GW and replaced with an Expedition. Still love JEEPS and will get another soon.

Comment

• CadZan
                    232 I6
                    • Jan 19, 2005

My price for a Jasper 360, installed, was $3200 in 1997.
                    1983 Cherokee Laredo 360-2bbl - R.I.P.
                    1978 Cherokee Chief S 360-4bbl - R.I.P.

Originally posted by backpack09
                    ..... Don't you have a jeep you could be working on?

Comment

• Great Pharoah
                      350 Buick
                      • May 07, 2002

Very knowledgeable and friendly and you get simulated oil pressure tests with the motor.
                      Just exactly how do you simulate an oil pressure test? Do you simulate adding oil to the engine before you simulate spinning the engine up to simulate taking simulated oil pressure readings.
                      GP
                      American Jobs should be for Americans.
                      Some Cheros run at 75, and some do 69,
                      But if I can get mine to start and run at all, I think I'm doing fine.

Big Mike
                      "Whoopi" 80 Cherokee Golden Hawk. 360/727/208
                      Horseshoe Bay, Texas

Comment

• 88GW
                        258 I6
                        • Nov 21, 2000

Originally posted by Great Pharoah:
                        </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Very knowledgeable and friendly and you get simulated oil pressure tests with the motor.
                        Just exactly how do you simulate an oil pressure test? Do you simulate adding oil to the engine before you simulate spinning the engine up to simulate taking simulated oil pressure readings.
                        GP
                        </font>[/QUOTE]All I can say is on a sheet of paper were the words Sim Test 47 PSI. Look real official like, oil and all on it.

Comment

• duckjeep
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 13, 2000

Will e, Thanks I posted in General about a shop in Ft. Laud. Good idea.

Pman, the $3100 price didn't include install, my mechanic wanted $800 for that, although I know another mechanic who wants $450.

Jan, yeah I did a forum search for Powerpro but must be hitting the wrong keyword combos to come up with anything useful so far.

Thanks for the info guys. Anyone know what a rebuild would cost? Online Jasper engine was $2,870, Autoparts4Jeep.com (didn't say man. name) wanted $1,339, Powerpro $1,599.
                          Dean
                          Duckjeep
                          [email protected]

Comment

• Jan
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 27, 2004

Hi duckjeep,

I get like 60 hits with a search for "powerpro" in general FSJ tech. There were two recent threads on powerpro in the mailing list as well, in one the warranty was honored, in the other it was not, but a bad oil filter turned out to be the problem. The overall ratings were positive.

On S&S I found less information, the engines seem to be generally ok, but I recall reading about two cases in which the engine died very soon and one case in which the warranty was not honored.

I contacted both poerpro and S&S, they do not do any modifications to their engines. This is why I will go with a local rebuild of my old engine, which is otherwise slightly more expensive and will give you less of a warranty.

Reading the smallprint of the warranty, the powerpro warranty seemed to be better to me.

Cheers

Jan
                            1987 GW (rebuilt 360, 0.03 over, Comp cam 256 XE cam, 9.0:1 pistons, Bulltear oil pump with nickel-plated timing cover and American perf. back oiling mod, MSD 6T)

Comment

• duckjeep
                              232 I6
                              • Apr 13, 2000

Jan,
                              Well, duh, I was doing an internet search and not here. Thanks for cluing me in. I like the idea of a local rebuild just so I have someone local to complain to if something fails. I got referred to one that gives a year warranty and for $300 he'll give me a 3 year warranty.

When you say "modifications" do you mean that they don't allow mods to their engines or it invalidates their warranties?

Aside from a rebuilder using my core, what does a remanufacturer do to their engines that is different than what a good local rebuilder might do? From threads, people have said that the rebuilder should use reputable parts. Do you have any clue what those would be? Like any particular rebuild kits. Also, should I be insisting on getting a new camshaft versus a retooled one? Others threads, people were talking about putting on a new timing cover and oil pump housing.

Jan, any info on this is greatly appreciated.
                              Dean
                              duckjeep
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X