• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serious Johnson
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • May 19, 2002

Following up on some points above:

The vacuum guage/egg thing works OK-ish for a big 'Murican boat with a V8 & slushbox, but who drives those anymore ? For a fuel-injected 4-cylinder car with a manual transmission, it's most efficient to get up to speed quickly, using large throttle openings (but not quite full-throttle, which imposes open-loop mode), and shifting at very low revs. Less pumping loss from an open throttle is more efficient. That's a diesel's main advantage. Get the heck out of those lower gears as soon as possible and, above all, waste no revs!

Warm-up can only hurt -- you're getting zero MPG during that time, and causing the motor to come up to temperature much more slowly. Just start it up and drive off immeiately but, as said, gently.

Aerodynamics & other drag are certainly important. I've noticed that, in flat country, I get about the same fuel mileage when towing an empty car hauler as when there's another 5,000 lb aboard. A Wag or narrow Cherokee are not all that horribly shaped, particularly with the small stock mirrors & no roof rack. Some modern SUVs are worse -- I'm thinking of that one named for a blow-job.

In certain cases, for instance, a stock wag with a slushbox tranny & 2.72 gears, slowing down below typical highway speed doesn't help. I've seen such a rig, in perfect condition, get slightly worse economy at 50 MPH than at 75. I blame poor low-rpm efficiency in the non-lockup torque converter.

My Wag, modified with a hotrod 360, fuel injection, manual tranny, 3.73 gears, dual limited-slips, 33" tires, & 4" lift gets about 20 MPG in the mountains if I drive like I have some sense. It could do only a little better than half that when it was stock.

S.J.
    "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
    360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
    T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• janie
      • Aug 11, 2001

Leave the tailgate down. Every lil bit helps.
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. Faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

Comment

• drlocke
        Roadside Mechanic
        • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by janie
        I have that tailgate delete option on my I-bird pickup.

Comment

• JeeperJay
          258 I6
          • Apr 26, 2005

Adding an electric fan should help a little bit....right?

That is my next planned modification. Get rid of the giant mechanical fan and install an electric one. Oh yeah, and downsizing back to 31" tires. D'oh!
          Jason T.
          '04 Grand Cherokee: Silver/ black. 2" lift
          '02 Grand Cherokee: Black/black Laredo with a V8 and Selec-Trac- Totaled in Sept.'07
          '90 Woody:White/maroon. TFI, BJ's 4" & 33" BFGs. Gone but not forgotten
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2218533/1

Comment

• pb
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2003

Weight = crappy mileage for stop and go driving
            Aerodynamics & drivetrain = crappy mileage on highway

The heavier the object, the harder it is to start moving from rest. That's why newer aerodynamic SUV's the same weight as ours get the similiar city mileage. Not going fast enough for aerodynamics to make a great impact on mileage in city driving or for overdrive to kick in.

Aredynamics and drivetrain are important at steady speeds. An object in motion tends to stay in motion until an outside force acts upon it (air resistance & gravity) SJ described this when talking about towing. It takes less energy to keep the mass in motion than it is in getting it to that speed, not getting into the momentum/weight aspects. The more efficient the drivetrain, less energy is expended in overcoming the outside forces and remaining in motion. This is why you can get better mileage with a diesel, efi and/or overdrive in a nonaerodymanic FSJ at highway speeds as compared to stock components.

As far as improving mileage, lighten the weight and increase the drivetrain efficiency as previously mentioned.
            Paul
            1975 Wagoneer DD
            360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
              258 I6
              • Feb 04, 2006

Luckily for me, my Jeep is a hybrid- it burns gasoline, oil, and just about any other fluid you can think of!

Now if only it could burn rubber.
              John V
              94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

06 Honda Accord SE 5spd- The Daily Ricer

Comment

• drlocke
                Roadside Mechanic
                • Dec 29, 2003

Originally posted by IslanderOffRoad
                Luckily for me, my Jeep is a hybrid- it burns gasoline, oil, and just about any other fluid you can think of!

Now if only it could burn rubber.
                Try placing a spark plug wire boot on the exhaust manifold.

Comment

I can't drive with my tailgate down. I'll choke on the fumes.
                  Mark B. Jones

Originally posted by GrandWag&Prix
                  Actually, now that I think about it, that could be either awesome or really terrible.

'79 Cherokee Chief "Junaluska"

Comment

• Steelhead
                    258 I6
                    • Feb 11, 2002

Janie-
                    I saw a Mythbusters that busted the tailgate thing for trucks. Turns out the tailgate up creates an air-cushion that actually decreases resistance and improves mileage over tailgate down.
                    ---'76 Chief, 401 rebuild, custom springs - 5" rear, 4" front, 32s, manual front hubs, 44 gal. tank (w/aux), Carter 9635, HEI, Edelbrock manifold, Crane cam, dual side exhaust---

Comment

• IslanderOffRoad
                      258 I6
                      • Feb 04, 2006

Originally posted by drlocke
                      Try placing a spark plug wire boot on the exhaust manifold.
                      flamethrowers are fun!
                      John V
                      94 Cherokee Sport 4x4

06 Honda Accord SE 5spd- The Daily Ricer

Comment

• Tonka J200
                        360 AMC

• Jul 21, 2002

Originally posted by janie
                        Sorry, Janie, I used to think the same thing, but then I found this:

"Gas Mileage and Pickup Tailgates

Tailgate up or down? The television show Mythbusters is sometimes interesting, sometimes silly but I caught one yesterday addressing this ?what everyone knows? advice.
                        The often repeated premise is that an open pickup truck bed is bad for gas mileage because it catches the air and creates drag, so the easy, zero cost method for increasing mileage by reducing drag is to drive with the tailgate down thereby letting the air escape. Seems logical, right?
                        The two hosts drove two Ford F150s, as identical as possible, filled up with identical amounts of gas, one tailgate up, one down, until they ran out of gas. Driving one behind the other, you guessed it, tailgate down went dry first! The tailgate up truck went 30 miles further. Hmm ?
                        Searching for an explanation they built a fluid flow simulation of a wind tunnel with a model truck. The answer lies in the fact that an open bed with a closed tailgate creates a rotating bubble of air in the bed that remains trapped there. Air coming over the top of the cab is kept out of the bed by this bubble and drops down behind the truck. Open the tailgate, the bubble disappears and air over the cab drops down faster, hitting the bed and creating drag. This explanation agrees with designers from the auto manufacturers who say the same thing. Who knew? They didn?t address the bed cover or no bed cover question which I presume will be coming up next season. "
                        -Frank
                        '63 J200 2WD
                        '63 J200 4WD: J20 Axles, extended wheelbase, factory stakebed
                        '63 J100 Panel Delivery
                        '91 Grand Wagoneer Final Edition
                        "If you're going to laugh about it someday, you might as well start now".

Comment

• Russianwolf
                          232 I6
                          • Apr 06, 2006

I just did a little research and now can say with certainty that for $10k you can have a Jeep that will never have to stop at a gas station again.

Convert the thing to EV.

One charge will get you about 70 miles. The motor is rated for vehicles up to a 5000lb GVW. If I had $10k I might try it to see how it works out.
                          Mike

70 Jeep J4000 Dauntless 350

If at first you don't succeed, Deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• Don S
                            • Feb 06, 2002

Originally posted by Tonka J200
                            Sorry, Janie, I used to think the same thing, but then I found this:

"Gas Mileage and Pickup Tailgates

Tailgate up or down? The television show Mythbusters is sometimes interesting, sometimes silly Driving one behind the other, you guessed it, tailgate down went dry first! The tailgate up truck went 30 miles further. Hmm ?
                            Searching for an explanation they built a fluid flow simulation of a wind tunnel with a model truck. The answer lies in the fact that an open bed with a closed tailgate creates a rotating bubble of air in the bed that remains trapped there. Air coming over the top of the cab is kept out of the bed by this bubble and drops down behind the truck. Open the tailgate, the bubble disappears and air over the cab drops down faster, hitting the bed and creating drag. This explanation agrees with designers from the auto manufacturers who say the same thing. Who knew? They didn?t address the bed cover or no bed cover question which I presume will be coming up next season. "
                            Dear Mythbusters;

... No two vehicles are going to run (consume fuel) exactly alike.
                            ... No two drivers are going to have the same style.
                            ... Was more air trapped in the fuel tank of one?
                            ... Was one vehicle benefiting from drafting?
                            ... What kind of designers? I am a designer.
                            hummmmmmmmm...
                            ... In flow tests air compresses and decompresses as it flows around objects. Liquids are virtually uncompressible. Hot air from under the hood as well as hot exhaust gasses are expanding behind the real trucks will have a small effect on the air flow at the rear.
                            ... NASCAR uses real wind tunnels to test rear spoilers for Drag (slows the vehicle and eats fuel) and down force.
                            I doubt the tailgate plays a large roll in fuel mileage. I have a camper shell on my Frontier and get above average fuel mileage.

Have a good one and CUL.. Don S..
                            Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
                            It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
                            ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• joe
                              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by 88GWSteve
                              Oh so sweet!
                              joe
                              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                                304 AMC
                                • May 01, 2004

IslanderOffroad, You should get really good gas milage after mounting your GW on a Samari frame! My wife got a real kick out your Avatar!
                                One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                                http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                                95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                                50 CJ3A
                                77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

Working...
                                X