• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idoc
    258 I6
    • Mar 26, 2002

Axle swap and brake system

It appears that my brake booster has taken a dump and I need to get another.

I was planning on doing an axle swap in my 66 (which now has drums f & r). I have a chevy dana 44, and 12 bolt that I was going to stick under it. I want to go full width axles and am going to put on flares.

I was wondering am I going to have to replace the brake booster and master cylindar when I do the axle swap? If I remember right, I need one that pushes more fluid.

Also, does anyone know a part # for the brake booster that I have? It is the small one that fits with a Buick 350. It sits on a little stand away from the firewall. Or even better does anyone have one that works that would want to sell it?

Thanks for the info, I just don't want to be doing the brake booster all over again in a couple of months when I do the axle swap.
    Dave<br />66 Wagoneer SOA, Buick 350, TH400, Dana20.
  • testuser
    Administrator
    • Apr 09, 2000

time for an axle swap! I HATE 4wheel drums and no stopping power.

yes...you will need to replace the booster and MC when you do it....so there's no time like now.

Comment

• idoc
      258 I6
      • Mar 26, 2002

So if I need to replace the booster and MC any suggestions on which swap will work the best?

If I remember correctly the brake booster out of many of the newer jeeps (newer than 71) will not fit because they are too big around for the Buick 350 engine.

Please help The deer hunt starts this saturday and I need a ride. :')

Comment

• Tad
        • Nov 30, 2001

Don't forget you will need the proportioning valve too when going over to disc brakes.
        Longer/new brakelines also to match the new fittings.
        The brake line brackets are also different.
        I grabbed everything from an 85 Wagoneer for my eventual drum/disc swap.
        The booster & master cylinder is a narrower and longer dual diaphram type that should clear the Buick 350 just fine. Not sure what years this was available.
        2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
        EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
        Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• The BEAST
          327 Rambler
          • Apr 27, 2002

tadsal is right on the money I just completed a swap from the set up you have to a newer booster master and p-vale so I could have disc brakes now with my 36 swampers on I can actuley stop when I want not when the drums deide to work. The best thing to do is find one someone is parting out as you will need the brake pedal(which I didn't get had to do some creative fab work to the booster push rod)the booster and master pluus p-vale and lines all the fittings are diffrent from disc to drum .And you will have to drill your fire wall to mount booster make sure you get the spacer for the booster from donner vehicle if you need more info e-mail and I'll give you my #
          73 Wag 327 chevy 3inch stainless exhaust 2 3/4 body lift TH400 4 ton loggers winch 400 watt stero CD, oak door panels, bedliner floors ,razor grill w/badge, 36\" Super Swampers on 15X8 chrome whells ,<br />(sons daily driver)B BEAST

Comment

• Tad
            • Nov 30, 2001

BEAST, I would love to see pic's of your conversion setup.
            I did grab everything, from the pedal, brackets, spacers, rods, anything that was connected all the way to the brake line brackets, even the actual lines themselves.
            Might make sorting this out for the D60/HD44 swap a bit easier for me.
            2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
            EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...

Comment

• idoc
              258 I6
              • Mar 26, 2002

Do you know if the booster off of an 80 J20 would work?

Tad, is it the smaller diameter booster that you got off of that 85 wag?

One other question, would I take the little platform off and mount the new booster directly to the firewall?

Thanks

[ October 14, 2003, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: idoc ]

Comment

• The BEAST
                327 Rambler
                • Apr 27, 2002

no pics but e-mail and I'll send you my # and give you the scoop
                73 Wag 327 chevy 3inch stainless exhaust 2 3/4 body lift TH400 4 ton loggers winch 400 watt stero CD, oak door panels, bedliner floors ,razor grill w/badge, 36\" Super Swampers on 15X8 chrome whells ,<br />(sons daily driver)B BEAST

Comment

• Tad
                  • Nov 30, 2001

Not sure about an 80 J20 booster or it's size.
                  Yes the 85 wag had the smaller size dual diaphram booster.
                  That setup does not have the little bracket. It does have an aluminium spacer, I would assume this spacer needs to be included to keep the correct distances for the linkage, pedal brackets and such.

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                  EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

Comment

Working...
                  X