AMC 360 break in question - exhaust smoke!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grampsbutler
    230 Tornado
    • Jun 16, 2017

AMC 360 break in question - exhaust smoke!!!

I have a 1990 Grand Wagoneer with the AMC 360 and 727 transmission. About a year ago I pulled the engine, transmission and transfer case and rebuild the whole lot. I did the transmission myself and had the engine done be a reputable local machine shop. The engine got a rebore, hone, magnaflux, surfacing and inspection, valve job, new bearings, new cam shaft and new pistons and rings. I installed an aftermarket Edelbrock intake, and a Holley 4BBL carb. Exhaust original, except for plugged air injection ports.

I just got the install finished, and fired it up this weekend. I primed the oil pump, checked for oil pressure. I used Lucas zinc aditive in 10-30W conventional oil. Fired it up and ran it for 10 minutes at ~2000 rpms. Shut it off, then checked the timing (had to run it for a few minutes at high idle to do this). I then ran it at ~2500 for an additional 5-10 minutes, as recommended by the engine rebuilder, and others on this forum.

I now have blue smoke at higher rpms. It runs clean at lower rpms. When I first fired it up, there was no smoke (apart from exhaust burn off). How worried should I be? I have not yet done a compression test, because the rebuilder did that. Could this be the rings seating? The engine sounds great.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Engine was not smoking when I pulled it, but it was tired with about 150k on it.
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

Finish the break in before you worry, may be the rings need to seat still, hopefully you did not use synthetic oil?

Comment

• grampsbutler
      230 Tornado
      • Jun 16, 2017

Thanks for the reassurance. I called the engine rebuilder, and he suggested that I disconnect and plug the PCV. I did this and smoke is greatly reduced, so I am hoping that this + ring seating is the issue.

Any idea why the pcv might be sucking oil? Any suggestions on how to fix?

Comment

• grampsbutler
        230 Tornado
        • Jun 16, 2017

I forgot to mention. I used regular 10-30 oil with Lucas zinc additive.

Comment

• SOLSAKS
          304 AMC
          • Jul 25, 2016

sounds good, I bet you are going to be o.k.

now we are ready to see the GW.

if you see Rick and AJ Simon in the red Z28 or the Power Wagon around S.D.
          ( or ron burgandy ).......tell them hello.

good luck with the engine. most of us have been where you are at,....

I am now finding myself there once again with my project.

dave in NC
          SOLSAKS - dave
          1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
          1982 J-10 Fleetside
          1988 grand wagoneer
          2004 RUBICON jeep
          Benson, NC

Comment

• 7350life
            232 I6
            • Jul 05, 2020

PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

If the rings aren't seated yet, there will be excessive combustion blow-by past the rings into the crankcase. That excessive positive crankcase pressure is vented resulting in pushing combustion gases and oil vapors out the PCV port.

1979 J10, 304 V8, 4-speed manual

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by 7350life
              PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation.

If the rings aren't seated yet, there will be excessive combustion blow-by past the rings into the crankcase. That excessive positive crankcase pressure is vented resulting in pushing combustion gases and oil vapors out the PCV port.

Excellent post.
              OP, just wait a bit for final break-in and you should be okay if all things were done correctly by the shop.
              --Rob--
              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• babywag
                out of order
                • Jun 08, 2005

Stock intake manifold?

Some folks install an aftermarket without the heatshield/oil baffle installed and some have had pcv issues with sucking up oil from valley.
                Tony
                88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• grampsbutler
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jun 16, 2017

Thank you all for the tips. I will post back once it is broken in to let you know how it resolved.

It does have an aftermarket intake manifold with no oil baffle, which could be the problem. I read up on this before reassembly, and made sure to use a one piece intake gasket to separate the intake from the valley. That is what it had on before, and I never had a problem, but with the rebuild and non-seated rings it could be pushing more air and oil through the pcv.

Thanks everyone! Your collective knowledge is amazing!

Comment

• Ristow
                    • Jan 20, 2006

lets see the plugs. you should be rolling smoke on a fresh motor.
                    Originally posted by Hankrod
                    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• grampsbutler
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jun 16, 2017

Thanks everyone for all the advice. It turns out most of you were right....the smoke cleared up after 3-400 miles. I must be an overanxious FSJ dad!

My guess is that the rings took some time to seat. I disconnected the PCV valve am considering using an oil filler cap/breather with an integrated PCV. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Originally posted by babywag
                        Stock intake manifold?

Some folks install an aftermarket without the heatshield/oil baffle installed and some have had pcv issues with sucking up oil from valley.
                        This is my guess also.

Comment

Working...
                        X